Accounting Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
Do home office, internet, computer usage etc count in tax deduction?

I am a sole Proprietorship in California. Where can I find a list of acceptable or not acceptable business expenses I am allowed to deduct from my income. Do I need to reimburse myself in anyway...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 22:13
Blank
Marco
130 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.93K Views
Can a bank account accept checks written to two different business names?

Is it possible for a bank account to accept checks written to two different parts of an LLC? For example, I have ABC LLC, which operates at ABC.com, and I accept checks using both the ABC and ABC...

asked Aug 23 '12 at 05:55
Blank
Nickelpickle
55 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.73K Views
Paying S-Corp Owner Directly from Main Bank Account

I run a small US-based startup, (an S Corp), I am also a contractor of this business. Am I able to withdrawl money from the main business banking account and pay myself (a contractor) without...

asked Jul 16 '12 at 06:22
Blank
User1062058
22 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
44.9K Views
If a business loan is taken out for a registered company, and the company goes out of business, does owner have to pay the loan?

I am curious whether the person is liable to paying back any business loans taken from a bank for a business that they have. If the business goes out of business, does the load simply vanish? How...

asked Jul 21 '12 at 04:37
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
When calculating Gross Profit Margin, do you include funds raised

When calculating Gross Profit Margin, do you include the startup funds you raised in your net sales or just the sales you've made For example, should it look like: Net Sales.. ...Plus startup...

asked Jun 2 '12 at 11:14
Blank
Rohit
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
5.22K Views
How to "pay" one self in a single member LLC w/ separate checking account?

I own a side company creating web apps. I formed an LLC, registered an EIN and opened a business checking account. Recently, I sold a copy of my software for let's say $10,000. Now, since...

asked Apr 28 '12 at 08:13
Blank
Luckytaxi
177 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.03K Views
Do companies get taxed on money deposited by owners?

I just started a business (startup) and wanted to do the right thing by having a bank account for the company and putting all the business expenses on the business account. Now, I am in NY and I...

asked May 3 '12 at 00:24
Blank
Ariel
138 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.79K Views
How do I prove my finances to a partner? My partner is afraid I will not give him his full cut

I own and operate a company selling products online. A partner is stepping in and wants to sell our product line across it's websites. However, my company will accept the payments from the...

asked Apr 18 '12 at 00:49
Blank
Alexandre H. Tremblay
186 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
11.9K Views
Writing a check for myself from my business

I opened up a business in October last year and the bank account was created today and I deposited $1600. I need to use $600 for my personal expenses. I don't pay myself a salary from the company...

asked Apr 19 '12 at 06:38
Blank
Ariel
138 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
9.97K Views
How do Royalty payments work?

I have been asked by another company to build them some software to operate some machinery. The company sells this machinery to their own customers and wants to provide the software I write along...

asked Mar 25 '12 at 05:37
Blank
7wp
275 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
Tax law benefits?

I am thinking about starting a small charity to help find and support the "untapped Genius" in everyday people or people that might otherwise just end up in a dead end job or unemployed. The...

asked Mar 21 '12 at 11:15
Blank
Amin Brodie
39 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
As a US-based LLC, how to properly account for offshore service providers

I am currently an owner of a US based single member LLC in Delaware which is in the startup stage. I am a US citizen, for what it matters. Physically, I am living in Poland, which is part of the...

asked Feb 10 '12 at 20:45
Blank
Ever Tabs
108 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
Tax obligations of foreign operations for a US LLC

I live in a country where corruption and bureaucracy are widespread. Opening a business takes months and costs a lot of money, and will require one to hire somebody solely for handling all...

asked Feb 15 '12 at 23:55
Blank
User
192 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
5.32K Views
Bookkeeping practices for a website using electronic payments (e.g. Paypal)

I am in the process of setting up an accounting "system" (well set of procedures etc). For most businesses, the books of original entry include: Sales Day Book Sales Return Day Book As I...

asked Dec 9 '11 at 04:23
Blank
Morpheous
23 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
How important is to establish a relationship with a lawyer and an accountant in early stages of a company

The older I get and the more I get into entrepreneurship, I find myself having to talk more and more with different type of lawyers and accountants. Does it make sense to establish a relationship...

asked Dec 3 '11 at 05:28
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
6.1K Views
Can we use the tax classification of "disregarded entity" for our LLC if all owners live and work outside the US?

We have registered a US LLC to help us get a US bank account. We are based in the UK, however we have some suppliers we import from in the US and we have clients who will purchase from us in the...

asked Nov 9 '11 at 22:24
Blank
Nikolay Piryankov
683 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
What is the role of depreciation in financial models?

I do not have an accounting background so please excuse the point blankness of my question. I'm writing a business plan and saw that several sample plans include depreciation in their financial...

asked Nov 11 '11 at 01:52
Blank
Martin08
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
How usually companies pays out percentage for developers?

I would like to know roughly how the payments are done if the company was started by two developers and me, owner. Let's say, I give them 10 % each, thats 20 % of the company's profit product....

asked Oct 26 '11 at 21:50
Blank
John
38 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
2.86K Views
How much accounting should a founder of a startup know?

I just started up a mobile game company, set up Quickbooks online, and now I'm trying to read up on accounting. Right now I'm reading The Accounting Game. It's a great book and it makes really...

asked Nov 4 '11 at 17:19
Blank
Edgar Miranda
230 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.21K Views
How do I choose an accountant for my small business?

I want to register a small work from home business and do yearly audits. I have found a tax consultant and we exchanged more than dozen emails. After I asked him about where he got his...

asked Oct 24 '11 at 06:37
Blank
Sparkubullet
21 points