Advisors Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
How do I get an IP Lawyer as an Advisor

My pre-seed technology startup has developed unique IP which needs protection. The industry we're targeting is run by giants (with tons of IP), so the IP story will play a key-role on the startup....

asked Mar 13 '12 at 01:49
Blank
Ellery Familia
16 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.76K Views
Advisory Boards: When and How?

I have been operating a small, part-time business for the better part of 4-5 years providing IT consulting, web hosting, and tech support. To top it off, I've been working on a business plan for...

asked Mar 18 '12 at 07:21
Blank
David W
128 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
What is our startup worth?

Last year myself and two other partners got together to work on our startup. We got an offer from one of the investors for 40K seed money. We turned down the offer because one of the founder was...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 07:07
Blank
Youngdev
1 point

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.8K Views
Should I give away 10% equity to a super advisor?

I'm a sole founder of a rather ambitious company which I have worked tirelessly to build. The company will require some heavy lifting from well connected political persons to help the company to...

asked Oct 10 '11 at 15:41
Blank
Bastian Suz
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
How can an Advisor be rewarded if there's not a VC round or Sale down the line?

A guy who's help our SaaS startup a lot in the 1st 2 month of its life has suggested that we form and he join our Board of Advisors. He's very helpful to us, a great guy and will definitely be an...

asked Oct 5 '11 at 00:28
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Approach Investor without business plan but you are building what he said he would invest in?

I was just watching some interview of an investor. I was shocked to hear when he described the idea he would invest in is very similar if not exact thing to what we are developing. He said send me...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 15:28
Blank
Gagan
150 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
Where to find mentors/advisors for garage stage startup company?

I have an idea related to healthcare communications and am trying to find mentors/advisors who would be willing to guide my partner and I towards success. I live in Silicon Valley. I was...

asked Aug 31 '11 at 06:10
Blank
Saif Akhtar
53 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
What are startup board of advisors best practices?

A common suggestion to start ups is to get a board of advisors. Three or four people that will interact once a month to help with business strategy, development, market positioning, … I heard that...

asked Aug 23 '11 at 01:28
Blank
Andrepi
26 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
how to find advisor for your startup

We are very early stage startup with protoype in the works. We need and advisor on raising financing, and marketing. Just wondering how do you go about finding someone and then ask them to be your...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 06:45
Blank
Gagan
150 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.51K Views
What to offer to advisers / endorsers to make them interested?

The question is about how attract and what to offer to people who you want to be behind your start-up? It's easier with developers and other positions where you can translate their hours to pay at...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 02:56
Blank
Mvbl Fst
144 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Mentor requesting for board of director role, should i offer director or advisor role to him?

We recently met a person through our contacts and he has shown interest in our startup & super liked the Idea. We had initially requested him to be our mentor, for which he agreed. In our next...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 04:21
Blank
Kumar K
11 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3K Views
Evaluate an offer for a startup advisor

My co-founders and I just began searching for $1.5-2M of funding. We met with someone who has many contacts and friends who are angels or VCs. After meeting with us, he surprised us by offering...

asked Jul 6 '11 at 01:58
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Would you have a friend be a startup advisor?

Is there anything wrong with having a friend (who cannot commit to be a co-founder right now) be a startup advisor to help the effort along? This is a friend who you'd prefer to be a co-founder...

asked Jul 11 '11 at 11:19
Blank
Eddy
6 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.38K Views
Equity stake for advisor who came up with startup idea?

I realize this has been addressed in various forms before but I feel this case is unique. How much equity would you give to a friend who came up with the idea for a startup but is voluntarily...

asked Jun 14 '11 at 20:29
Blank
Johnster
21 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
Need simple pre-launch website to attract mgmt. team, investors, and co-marketing alliances

I am looking for a simple website solution for my pre-launch (and pre-funding) start-up to do the following: Introduce the business without totally giving the concept away. Have a web address as...

asked Jun 15 '11 at 00:16
Blank
C. Scott
85 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
what do you need to pay for the board of advisors in a startup?

what do you need to pay for the board of advisors in a startup? Do the advisors generally ask for equity share ? if so, what would be the average percentage we need to give?

asked Apr 16 '11 at 06:06
Blank
Sakthy
45 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.34K Views
Board and Advisors Needed?

I wanted to know if it was needed to have Board Members and Advisers for your start-up to be successful. I know there are advantages to having this committee in terms of how they can advise you,...

asked Mar 12 '11 at 06:09
Blank
John
161 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
What advisors should a startup have?

Besides a Lawyer and an accountant what other advisors should I have to build a startup? Where can I find advice with things like creating a marketing plan and finding investment?

asked Feb 15 '11 at 15:43
Blank
Zachary K
208 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
In need of strategic advice

Some days I feel that I need someone experienced to have a top-level discussion of my next business steps. I don't necessarily feel that approaching investors is the right move for that -- I'm not...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 12:28
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
Equity for Advisors

I've identified a veteran CTO of several successful web and tech companies who I'd like to be the first Advisor to my web-based startup. He could help me with operations, as well as business...

asked Nov 4 '10 at 14:06
Blank
User4979
16 points