Billing Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.47K Views
SaaS: Billing and Subscription Management

What are some cost effective solutions that can provide secure billing/membership management for a SaaS with varying subscription options ? I am looking for something like aMember, but I think it's...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 07:16
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.46K Views
SaaS billing tax: is a billing address enough?

so I have a startup that provides an online SaaS solution. We are not shipping any items, so payments do not require a shipping address. For collecting taxes in the states that my company has...

asked Nov 9 '13 at 07:02
Blank
Stuntman Mike
16 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
8.76K Views
Should we charge the client for fixing bugs?

Our small firm provides custom web application services. We always charge on a time-and-materials basis - we simply give an estimate up front and then charge for actual hours used. One of our...

asked Oct 29 '13 at 03:37
Blank
Contrazoom
186 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
1.9K Views
Flat Rate vs. Hourly: Fast work = less pay?

I'm new to freelance designing for clients, I normally did things just for myself or for friends when they needed something done and I had a free minute. I've also worked at a retail store that...

asked Sep 13 '13 at 23:50
Blank
Oghma Osiris
131 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Grace period for cancellations

We are building a SaaS app where most of the features will be add-ons. Customers can add and remove features at any time and the amount is charged or prorated to their account. One of the things...

asked Aug 4 '13 at 11:32
Blank
F21
142 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
4.67K Views
Prepay vs Postpay, what billing model should be used for a SaaS utility?

We provide a utility-like service and have to charge a variable rate per API call. Most of our customers are businesses (B2B). Just like an electric bill, at the end of the month we can total the...

asked Jun 11 '13 at 06:44
Blank
Rook
123 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
7.72K Views
How to charge a client for outsourced work on hourly contracts?

I run a small web development company. I take on a few clients and do much of the work myself. Typically I build e-commerce shops or basic wordpress sites. Sometimes the development is beyond the...

asked Jun 12 '13 at 19:42
Blank
Start It
18 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
7.98K Views
Should I issue a separate invoice for the down payment?

I'm doing a website for a client, and I require them to make a down payment that is a percentage of the bill for the entire project. The remaining portion of the bill is due when the website is...

asked May 18 '13 at 05:56
Blank
Pete
17 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.53K Views
Charging by coding hour

I was wondering and am having trouble finding... ballpark figures for what people charge by the coding hour (the market rate). I understand that there are many factors that come into play here that...

asked Apr 27 '13 at 03:23
Blank
Random Us1r
123 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.62K Views
Should I contact customers about canceling who are not using services they pay for?

I own a small website hosting and services company. Most of my clients make automatic payments for recurring hosting services. However, what is the appropriate way to handle customers that have...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 08:43
Blank
Matt Beckman
132 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Billing for addons - how?

We are building an SaaS service that will be billed on a monthly basis. For example, if the user's service starts on 4th December 2012, then we bill them on 4th December 2012 for the month's fees....

asked Dec 5 '12 at 14:24
Blank
F21
142 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.02K Views
Handling pro-rated upgrade/downgrades

I'll be handing recurring billing with pro-rated upgrades/downgrades. Although upgrade seems simple, but I'm unsure wether to provide a refund incase the remainder amount exceeds the required total...

asked Nov 26 '12 at 18:26
Blank
Nimbuz
174 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Collecting client information in Australia

When I bring in new clients, should I only ask them for their business address, or should I also ask them for their residential address? And which of the two am I required to ask for by law in...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 05:41
Blank
Arrow
103 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.19K Views
How to bill customers in US/UK without having a company there?

I want to create a startup for US/UK based people, and then expand it to more countries. I am a self-employed/freelancer in Spain. I need to be able to bill my customers by credit card, so people...

asked Sep 5 '12 at 19:11
Blank
Alexandru Trandafir Catalin
157 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.19K Views
Suggestions for dealing with a monthly Subscription billed in $US but showing up in foreign currency as varying monthly amount

We just started a Monthly Subscription this year. We're now expanding it to non-US currencies (e.g., $AUD). The challenge is that the amount the customer sees (in $AUD) will vary every month with...

asked Jun 22 '12 at 15:12
Blank
Clay Nichols
737 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
9.98K Views
How do Royalty payments work?

I have been asked by another company to build them some software to operate some machinery. The company sells this machinery to their own customers and wants to provide the software I write along...

asked Mar 25 '12 at 05:37
Blank
7wp
275 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.38K Views
what's a fair amount to charge to build and maintain a web site for a small clothing boutique?

I'm a professional programmer. I've been asked to visit the owner of a small downtown clothing boutique because she wants a "web presence". Probably just a simple place holder web site with their...

asked Mar 27 '12 at 23:45
Blank
User11476
141 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
How do you bill for customisations in your SaaS offering?

We provide a customisable SaaS solution, and have adopted the classic billing model of a monthly user subscription fee. However some of our clients also require us to make customisations to their...

asked Feb 24 '12 at 18:38
Blank
Kosta Kontos
216 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.92K Views
Dates on invoices

This question is in the context of selling products internationally. How should I date invoices and invoice payment dates? Assuming we have an online shop based in Sydney, Australia. Should we...

asked Nov 15 '11 at 20:07
Blank
F21
142 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.87K Views
Hiring Employees and Charging Clients

I have been working as an independent consultant for several years now. I've been fortunate enough that my business has grown to the point where i am considering hiring someone to share the...

asked Nov 21 '11 at 13:08
Blank
Phone Developer
123 points