Branding Questions

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.21K Views
Why are some companies admired?

What is it that makes some companies admired and others not? Which companies do you admire and for what reasons? (keep it as objective as possible - no flame war)

asked Nov 14 '10 at 19:25
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.89K Views
Legality of building a brand based on color association?

I'd like to create a brand, naturally, but I have a problem. You see, there are only so many colors in the world and the number of colors has not changed much since the 1980s, when software...

asked Nov 18 '10 at 05:53
Blank
Moshe
409 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Public contest to design new product identity: good idea or not?

We're planning to re-build our product identity (which has never been built in the first place, it just came out of nowhere). Obviously, we're somewhat tight on money, so hiring a professional...

asked Oct 25 '10 at 02:25
Blank
Deleted
655 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.09K Views
Logo size on Website for Branding

I am currently designing the website for a new startup. I have 2 options (so far) for the size of the logo. Put it in the same spot as the "StackExchange" dropdown at the top of this page. It...

asked Oct 15 '10 at 07:11
Blank
Martin
1,340 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
4.37K Views
Non .Com Domains - Does it Really Affect Branding?

I was always under the impression that the domain extension didn't matter (as long as it was .com, .net, or .org). I have always tried to market the extension in my brand if it wasn't .com, and I...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 02:15
Blank
Martin
1,340 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
5.42K Views
Domain name starting with "get"

What do you think of domains that have the word "get" before the actual product name, just like getclicky.com or the domains used by 37 Signals products (basecamphq.com, campfirenow.com)? Does it...

asked Sep 7 '10 at 21:00
Blank
Pedro Carvalho
11 points

0 Votes
8 Answers
3.82K Views
How do you come out with a brand/business name?

How does your train of thoughts look like while coming up with a brand/business name?

asked Jun 2 '10 at 23:58
Blank
Elisha
64 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.34K Views
Domain name with a number?

How do you guys feel about a domain name using a number (in numbers)? Imagine 43folders, or 37signals... (I always get those 2 confused and have to do a quick Google search oftentimes putting "37...

asked May 3 '10 at 11:22
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
Advice on protecting a business name in the US

There is plenty of material here on when to incorporate in the US for tax or other business reasons, for example: When to set up the LLC Worth it to incorporate When does it make sense to...

asked Apr 8 '10 at 19:04
Blank
Steve Wilkinson
2,744 points

4 Votes
9 Answers
2.73K Views
Is there any definitive list of reasons why you should always go with .com?

Is being a non '.com' website create friction amongst a set of internet users? Is being a .com really easier to remember?

asked Mar 3 '10 at 23:27
Blank
Eric
352 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.75K Views
Should company A have different social network identities for each service/website?

Let's say company A produces various online services that fill different needs. Do you think they should have a separate Twitter/Facebook fan page for each service? Or should there just be one main...

asked Jan 31 '10 at 18:59
Blank
Matt
460 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.44K Views
Should a slogan imply my target market?

I was thinking of including the word "business" in a slogan for a new service but I was wrestling whether or not this is really necessary. I say business because that's the target market I'd like...

asked Feb 2 '10 at 17:47
Blank
Matt
460 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
4.08K Views
How Important Is Branding For a Startup? Should I Bring In Outside Help?

How important is branding for early stage startups? Within this question, there is some interesting discussion on how a brand can evolve based on everything you do - e.g. your name, website,...

asked Dec 31 '09 at 21:59
Blank
Benjamin Wootton
1,667 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.45K Views
How do you monitor Internet perceptions of your company?

I'd like to know how the world perceives our company and products. (One reasonable response to this question is: "Don't pay any attention, just do good things." However, let's suppose I want to...

asked Dec 12 '09 at 10:06
Blank
Dan
303 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.08K Views
Do I need a company website or just product websites?

I'm a husband and father and have a full time job. I'm developing a few web apps in my very little bit of spare time. I'm pretty sure I should have a website dedicated to each app. I want to keep...

asked Dec 1 '09 at 03:29
Blank
Coder Dennis
691 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.74K Views
Branding Problem as a iPhone developer?

Here's the facts: I'm wanting to start a iPhone business and I currently have an awesome name for the business and a registered domain name but I'm unable to register as a business with the state...

asked Dec 2 '09 at 05:47
Blank
Joey Green
173 points