Business Model Questions

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.01K Views
What makes a startup a "startup"?

Maybe a better way to ask this would be, how does a "startup" differ from any other small business which might grow?

asked Jun 13 '12 at 05:25
Blank
Warren
329 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Using Dubai as a tax haven - US nationals

My friend approached me with a business idea of selling a service to allow US business owners to incorporate in Dubai in order to avoid taxes. She resides in Dubai and owns a business there, and...

asked May 31 '12 at 10:55
Blank
Chris
1 point

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.75K Views
Advise on profit share for freelancing startup company

Three of us want to create a freelancing company and work via most popular freelancing sites nowadays. We've been working like this for 2 years and we need more people to help us. I see many such...

asked May 10 '12 at 17:07
Blank
Ben Mcss
143 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.98K Views
What is/was the elevator pitch of Facebook?

An elevator pitch is a short summary used to quickly and simply define a product, service, or organization and its value proposition. What was the elevator pitch of Facebook when it started?...

asked May 20 '12 at 23:54
Blank
Anlai
375 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
9.93K Views
How do Royalty payments work?

I have been asked by another company to build them some software to operate some machinery. The company sells this machinery to their own customers and wants to provide the software I write along...

asked Mar 25 '12 at 05:37
Blank
7wp
275 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.94K Views
Compensation model for a joint venture

We're looking to enter a joint venture with another entity in order to collaborate on a large IT based project. The agreement is that the other entity will provide most of the human resources,...

asked Mar 17 '12 at 00:56
Blank
James
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
Need business advice on growing SaaS business

Sorry for the long question, but I promise it's a good read as it includes a challenging topic on growing a bootstrapped business, which I imagine applies to many of you as well. I look forward to...

asked Mar 18 '12 at 01:19
Blank
Novice18
18 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Tax law benefits?

I am thinking about starting a small charity to help find and support the "untapped Genius" in everyday people or people that might otherwise just end up in a dead end job or unemployed. The...

asked Mar 21 '12 at 11:15
Blank
Amin Brodie
39 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
Premium features VS Donation gifts

We are developing a freemium business model and have planned some Premium features that users can buy. What are the main differences between these two types of monetization: Premium model : Buy...

asked Feb 20 '12 at 22:22
Blank
Xavi Esteve
223 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.9K Views
International house ads publisher. Why not?

This is not really a question but a muse about what I'm thinking of a better way to monetize mobile traffic via house ads. Yes, I seek your opinions. If I were to have a "worldwide" popular app at...

asked Feb 23 '12 at 20:36
Blank
Killua
68 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
Business model to sell an innovative and complex enterprise SaaS application

Our Startup company developed a web application for Data Analysis in Marketing. It's a B2B product that is innovative and complex. Although the app is very simple to use, the elaboration of the...

asked Mar 2 '12 at 06:39
Blank
João Daniel
111 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
research resources for starting a sports team/franchise

I'm thinking of starting up a minor sports team in the world of e-sports and I'd like to model it after the more well-known models in hockey and football. I've tried going to the official websites...

asked Feb 14 '12 at 06:39
Blank
Patrickgamer
234 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
How to simply estimate lifetime of a customer in early days of a startup

How do you estimate (simply) the lifetime of a customer in the early days of a SaaS startup? E.g. in the first, say 3 months, you will have a number of customers who have already left and a number...

asked Feb 6 '12 at 22:47
Blank
Ryan
1,365 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.24K Views
how does an existing company roll in new revenue models into existing ones?

I've got a consulting business built around my personal skills and offerings. I've picked up a few sales people to help increase work volume (currently part-time outside of a day-job). The company...

asked Jan 26 '12 at 07:23
Blank
Patrickgamer
234 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
What's this business model/marketing style called?

What is the name of a business model where you offer a product for free to entice people to use your service? I'm not referring to freemium. I am more talking about how Google works. They offer...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 17:53
Blank
Daveo
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
is this ad revenue model accurate?

I'm setting up an ad-supported website and trying to work through the numbers. I came across this article that gives a model. Being a newb at advertising, I've got quite a few questions: For CPM...

asked Jan 14 '12 at 14:10
Blank
Ginius
101 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.47K Views
sample business model canvas or tool

Hi I am looking for some sample business model canvas with proper details ? Any link or image would be welcome Any quick tool to build a model canvas would be also helpful. cheers //edit I am...

asked Jan 16 '12 at 23:54
Blank
Altuure
103 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
A Co-Branded website?

Our start-up is not yet launched but has been proposed to make a co-branded website with a big player on the market, where both parties would be presented equally through a number of ads and links...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 06:44
Blank
Patrick
23 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.96K Views
How did Twitter/Quora persuade investors as they didnt/dont have a business model?

I wonder, how did Quora persuaded their investors as they don't make revenue and even they don't have any revenue model as far as I know. The question is same again for twitter ( I know they sell...

asked Dec 27 '11 at 15:54
Blank
To Rr0t
69 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.72K Views
Is this really a good method of going about this...?

We're a 2 man startup. Im tech side, hes (business) side. I'm a full-time student, put in a good 20-30 hours per week (still!) while he says hes putting in around 10.. but its really closer to...

asked Dec 3 '11 at 02:02
Blank
Meow
137 points