Business Model Questions

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.88K Views
Which websites successfully make money just from ads?

I'm wondering how many websites are actually successful at making money purely off ads. Clearly the search engines do, but apart from them can you point out specific sites which have successful...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 08:29
Blank
Yarin
147 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
how to move from a once-off software payment to a subscription revenue model?

We have a fairly new product (v1.x) that is installable software, and which is charged as a once off payment with free upgrades to further 1.x upgrades. There is no 'annual maintenance'...

asked Nov 21 '11 at 12:01
Blank
Marcin
96 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.86K Views
Monetization options - other than ads - for consumer SaaS

I started a consumer SaaS almost 2 months ago. It's a calories counter system. You log in, register your meals and the system tells you how many calories you ate and the type of those calories. You...

asked Oct 25 '11 at 08:45
Blank
Joca
31 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
How to protect my software?

I am looking forward to register business in UK (England), currently we are still in development of software but, next year we should be launching it live for the people. This is going to be a...

asked Oct 25 '11 at 16:42
Blank
John
38 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
How usually companies pays out percentage for developers?

I would like to know roughly how the payments are done if the company was started by two developers and me, owner. Let's say, I give them 10 % each, thats 20 % of the company's profit product....

asked Oct 26 '11 at 21:50
Blank
John
38 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Is freemium still working?

We've heard from several formerly wildly successful software/webapp companies using the freemium business model that it is no longer working well. Does anyone have any validation to this? And if...

asked Oct 15 '11 at 05:10
Blank
Sydney Stavrou
21 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.77K Views
Coop model in tech startup

Are there any success stories of coop startups in technology (namely software)? I don't mean like a coop store where customers are (or can be) members, but worker cooperative one where membership...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 11:32
Blank
M Pelletier
105 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.74K Views
Any advice on coop model for tech startup

In retrospect of this question, I would like some advice on tech startups using a coop model (as a workers' coop). Advice on charter and finances mostly.

asked Oct 3 '11 at 04:04
Blank
M Pelletier
105 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
What are the pros and cons of incubating a new startup within a successful existing company?

I have a well thought out idea for a new startup. The startup will be unrelated to my current small company that is doing quite well. My basic options are to incubate the new startup within my...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 02:21
Blank
Keith De Long
5,091 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
What are the major risks that can influence a business?

I am starting an internet business I have enough traffic of my estimation and I am currently earning through to Google adsense program now I faced a question What are the major risks that can...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 06:53
Blank
Gimp
427 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.44K Views
How you look at all variables of a business case and decide if it's 'worth it'?

Given a business case with even a modest 20-30 variables/dimensions on which one would base the case, how does anyone going over it decide whether it is 'worth it'? I mean if looking at a business...

asked Sep 11 '11 at 03:31
Blank
Ph D
422 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
Who are the largest Facebook advertisers?

I don't want to be so direct here, but In this article does anyone have a clue about which company/companies could it be talking about when it says: I’m not going to out you, but you know who you...

asked Aug 30 '11 at 22:58
Blank
Pacerier
317 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
What's In a Business Plan and Do I Really Need One

Business plans cause a lot of anxiety for the new entrepreneur. I think it stems from the fact that they are a lot of work and putting one together, especially if you have never done one, is...

asked Aug 31 '11 at 01:26
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.89K Views
Dolphin browser business model

Recently I read that Dolphin browser developers got an A round investment. This news made me think: what is the dolphin browser business model? I am sorry if this question seems simple, however I...

asked Aug 31 '11 at 06:16
Blank
Leonid Mirsky
25 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.05K Views
How do Google Trends and Correlate make money for Google?

I'm just curious, what the business model is for providing these data mining services for free to everyone? http://www.google.com/trends http://www.google.com/trends/correlate/

asked Sep 3 '11 at 13:03
Blank
Siamii
195 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.02K Views
How should I spend my limited financial capability to gain momentum in my startup?

I am a start up, with no office. fairly new to Canada with no financial records. No website (only Domain name). Working from a rented room. I registered my company. Imported a small stock that is...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 13:23
Blank
Ramzi
26 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
What's the business model on which Google books is based?

What's this business model called in which links are provided to online sellers of a particular thing like Google books provides links to amazon,etc. ? PS: If possible please also add link(s)...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 06:22
Blank
Atul Goyal
496 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
Building a business off of data

I have a collection of tools that collect data. I have heard of businesses selling data. I would like to be able to do something like this. However, I have no idea what a business model around data...

asked Aug 4 '11 at 03:27
Blank
User8311
120 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
How to scale a startup?

We build a profitable startup In 2 years without any outside investment we are building enterprise software(and producing hardware) for Customer Service Improvement in different...

asked Aug 7 '11 at 07:06
Blank
It Samurai
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
what should be the business plan for a retail warehouse

I am looking for help in writing the business plan for a retail warehouse store in line with Costco or Uncle Sam's club. Will appreciate any help please. Sriram

asked Jul 25 '11 at 21:52
Blank
Sriram
6 points