California Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.62K Views
Foreigners Registering Nevada Corp

A California based investor will invest in a website developed and operated by a tech person in Europe. Since the website is targeting U.S. visitors, they want to register a C-Corp in Nevada. The...

asked Jul 20 '13 at 05:46
Blank
User26315
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
Advantages to starting your company in NYC as opposed to Silicon Valley?

What are some benefits for startups to be in New York City? What things does the city offer that are unique or gives it an upper-hand over Silicon Valley?

asked Mar 22 '14 at 11:56
Blank
Rosa Marty
15 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Creating a house cleaning service like TaskRabbit: could I hire maids as contractors or is hiring them as employees required by law?

Is it required by the California EDD to hire people as W2 employees for this case or could I just employ them as contractors? I wonder how companies like TaskRabbit and Uber are able to employ...

asked Feb 20 '14 at 17:01
Blank
Karen Higgins
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
Closing an S-Corp in California

Sorry for the California specificity of my question, but that is where I am located. I want to close my S-corp (I'm taking a full time job). Ideally, I'd like to do it before the end of the year...

asked Nov 9 '13 at 06:02
Blank
Dave
160 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
9.01K Views
In a Tax form, what is a DBA?

I am filling up the $800 LLC annual tax form for California and I am not sure what to include in the DBA. I think it means "Doing Business As" but is that just the name of the company again?

asked Oct 18 '13 at 03:47
Blank
Ayrton Senna
124 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.71K Views
should I register the single member LLC with SOS?

I am starting a small business based in California and I will be working off of home until I can make money to rent an office. I have been advised to register as a single member LLC, but as I read...

asked Aug 14 '13 at 04:52
Blank
Pegz
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.89K Views
Need tax help for CA LLC selling iOS/Android apps

last year, a friend and i started an LLC in california. we made a couple of mobile apps which we sell through apple, google, amazon, etc. shortly after that, i co-founded another startup, which has...

asked Aug 1 '13 at 07:58
Blank
Ben H
106 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Create Offshore or local?

Being in the Internet age and all, and only buying and delivering services through the Internet: Should I create a company local to where I live or in some offshore business friendly...

asked Mar 30 '13 at 01:44
Blank
Xyz
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Co-inventor and Section 2870 of the California Labor Code

My partner and me developed a product, and the split is: I developed 97-98%, he developed the rest, the idea was conceived by both. He did his portion on his own time and equipment, and it uses...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 12:35
Blank
Aynat
111 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
What kind of liability insurance should a contract engineer have?

I have been working in a company for a month. They buy my service instead of hiring me, so they ask me to set up my company. I do some drawing and design work for them. I want to know what kind of...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 14:47
Blank
Marco
130 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Maintaining S corp in california

I recently registered a S corp in CA. At this time I do not have any transaction. Income is 0, hoever I have made some expenses with my Biz account for small items like computer, desk etc. From...

asked Aug 11 '12 at 03:15
Blank
User19188
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Incorporating IT service consultant work under an LLC

I have a small number of clients for whom I provide IT and website hosting services on a recurring basis (all side-work). While I'm still just breaking even due to hardware/cloud expenses at the...

asked Jun 19 '12 at 03:00
Blank
Matt Beckman
132 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.83K Views
I am starting a consulting firm. My client is in canada but will pay me in US currency. Should I create an LLC or S-corp

I live in California USA. I have a client in Toronto Canada. They are paying me in US dollars and require a corp-to-corp realationship. Should I create an LLC or S-corp?

asked Jun 15 '12 at 16:38
Blank
Mitch
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.65K Views
LLC vs S Corp for a new business?

I am starting a new business in California and can't decide whether it should be an LLC or S Corp or an LLC as a S Corp. It would be a single person LLC or S Corp (no other shareholders or...

asked Jun 2 '12 at 07:21
Blank
Lynne
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Are there restrictions on names for an LLC in California?

I'm forming a LLC in California in the coming months and I have come up with a few good names. Can I simply pick the one I like best and run with it (have graphics made, etc) or is there a chance...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 01:25
Blank
Nick
113 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.29K Views
LLC no money earned

We registered an LLC company. The company has not made any money, do I still need to pay the California state tax? PLease let me know.

asked Mar 31 '12 at 15:34
Blank
Yugoday
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.52K Views
Forming an LLC-living in CA, related permits, tax treatment

My scenario: I currently reside in CA. However, I will be locating to the state of Washington by the end of 2012. I (no other employees) am starting a 100% online service-based company, which will...

asked Mar 7 '12 at 10:53
Blank
Karen
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
4.57K Views
How to convert a single member LLC into a LLC with multiple members?

I started as a single member LLC. I found some great partners. How do I add them into the LLC as members? What needs to be signed between us, is there a specific document we should maintain? Who...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 05:13
Blank
Box Cat
5 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.95K Views
Register company on H-1B, registration process for California and online business requirement?

Three questions: Can I register a company/ business in the US on H-1B visa? Does an online business need to be registered with the state or country? If answers to the above are yes, then what's...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 14:32
Blank
Foo
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.02K Views
Incubators in Los Angeles or Orange County

Does anyone know where I could find a (comprehensive) list of start-up incubators around Los Angeles or in Orange County? I already have some connections in the area, but most seem to be oriented...

asked Jan 9 '12 at 13:46
Blank
David Titarenco
405 points