Canada Questions

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
Finding available grants for businesses in Canada

What is a good resource for grants available to business in Canada? Startups are preferable due to the nature of this site, but any would do. Outside of waiting until their announced in the paper,...

asked Apr 19 '11 at 06:10
Blank
Canadiancreed
136 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.54K Views
Being liable as a sole proprietorship VS director at a corporation

I am considering starting presales of a product. Since money may be coming in I wanted a business bank account so if I am ever sued for any reason I'll only lose what I put in the business and not...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 20:18
Blank
Stu R
66 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
How do I protect myself when offering software and training?

I plan to sell software and add "the software comes with no warranty and should not be held liable for loss of data" and etc. I also plan to offer on-site training for the software. 'Support' will...

asked Apr 12 '11 at 11:10
Blank
Stu R
66 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.54K Views
Switching from a Canadian corporation to a Canadian sole-proprietorship

I currently run a Canadian Corporation, but I'm finding taxes (both accounting fees and bookkeeping) a real pain and expense. I would like to keep the corporation and basically find out how to...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 14:37
Blank
Geek Gal
16 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.86K Views
What are some names of some good hosting providers with data centers in Canada?

Need a partner for hosting our windows / SQL application in Canada...all data and backup on Canadian servers. Any good (reputable companies only) suggestions? Price is a factor but it has to be a...

asked Dec 18 '10 at 00:59
Blank
Paroon Chadha
61 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
3.23K Views
How can I handle occasional credit card transactions?

I use Paypal to handle payments. Recently I found out they require the customer to have an account for large transactions. However, it is impossible for a corporate credit card user to create an...

asked Dec 11 '10 at 07:55
Blank
Steve Hanov
596 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.69K Views
what are the steps in creating a non profit foundation/site?

Anyone know in Canada where to register? What are the other steps? Has anyone done it that can summarize the steps?

asked Dec 16 '10 at 03:40
Blank
User5996
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
Should I raise FF funding before or after the Holidays?

Is it better to hit up your friends and family before the Holiday gift giving season or afterwards in the New Year? Assuming I have enough cash to wait till after the New Year. Another factor is...

asked Nov 9 '10 at 02:47
Blank
Jonotron
13 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.67K Views
Start-up IP dispute in Canadian Corp

I'm currently in an intellectual property dispute over software I developed in a new start-up (Canadian corp). It was written under the false pretense that I would have 25% ownership of the...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 09:27
Blank
Adrian Schneider
456 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.2K Views
Should I use online accounting software in Canada?

My part-time bookkeeper and I are currently reviewing Xero for accounting. I like the online aspect of being able to enter and view data online (my bookkeeper works from home). The cost seems...

asked Oct 27 '10 at 12:14
Blank
Jonotron
13 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.75K Views
Form a company outside of the US?

This is definitely a different flavor of a common question. Here are the basic stats: Online only startup -- no physical presence. Everyone works from home. We have 8 people in 4 countries (5 in...

asked Oct 4 '10 at 06:15
Blank
User4625
26 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.08K Views
Umbrella Company

My dad also loved the business plan I had. He has his own company (which is not even close to what I am doing). He registered it as a sole proprietorship. He is an engineer so thats his company. He...

asked Aug 28 '10 at 10:27
Blank
Bhargav Patel
784 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.02K Views
Startup support/mentoring in Vancouver

CapitalFactory, Y-Combinator and TechStars are doing great job of helping startups to start up. Does anybody know of a similar initiative in Vancouver, BC, Canada? I am sure people from other...

asked Feb 27 '10 at 06:37
Blank
Alex
32 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
34.4K Views
Is there a Canadian equivalent of an LLC?

I'm looking to register a business name in Canada, however looking at the Revenue Canada web site I believe my only options are to register as either: Sole Proprietorship : Downside here being...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 00:38
Blank
Wally Lawless
126 points