Charging Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.78K Views
Duration of free trial to "steal" customers from my competitor?

I am launching a website. It will compete with one other website. The service will be identical for the most part, except my website will be superior in usability and I will also provide some extra...

asked Dec 30 '12 at 22:28
Blank
Arramack
36 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
Charging a transaction fee, what's the right number?

My partner and I are developing a marketplace website that connects retailers with product makers, allows them to communicate with each-other and hosts wholesale transactions-we are looking for...

asked Aug 9 '12 at 04:30
Blank
Doug
1 point

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.38K Views
what's a fair amount to charge to build and maintain a web site for a small clothing boutique?

I'm a professional programmer. I've been asked to visit the owner of a small downtown clothing boutique because she wants a "web presence". Probably just a simple place holder web site with their...

asked Mar 27 '12 at 23:45
Blank
User11476
141 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2K Views
Charging for a Web App

This may be an in-appropriate question but we are looking at changing the way we charge our customers because the current system is complicated. The problem is that its hard to simplify it without...

asked Jan 11 '12 at 03:23
Blank
The Angry Burger
6 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
Should I charge more or less for monthly-subscription payment (vs the single one price)?

I'm building a software product that I will charge for X amount per license. Also, I want to give customers the chance to pay a monthly-subscription. Note: In both cases they will have access to...

asked Sep 14 '11 at 04:57
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.43K Views
What is the best way to test whether people would pay for a web application?

I am currently implementing a relatively simple web application, as I'm trying to dive into Ruby on Rails. It turns out be going quite well and, in my opinion, it will appeal to a lot of users. But...

asked Sep 14 '11 at 05:19
Blank
Dyn Zack
216 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
Free service or paid service?

Why are there free services and paid services? How are paid services different? For example, some job search sites require $$$, and others are free. How would you decide whether to charge for a...

asked Aug 24 '11 at 21:09
Blank
Ted Wong
171 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.52K Views
How to charge customers for a web design business?

As some of my earlier questions point out, I'm a web design enthusiast and am hard at work to launch a small company, myself being the single employee. I had a simple question: how do I charge my...

asked Aug 15 '11 at 17:23
Blank
Purmou
147 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
9.06K Views
How do websites that don't charge anything make money?

The obvious answer is "advertising" but I've heard of a lot of decently popular sites that don't make much on advertising. How else do you make money? are they just hoping to get bought out? And...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 15:18
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
4.11K Views
Accepting payments... subscription plans

So, I am a total newbie when it comes to payment processing, acceptance of payments, subscription plans, etc. I've recently built out the SaaS offering and will be in beta with it through the end...

asked Dec 17 '10 at 18:17
Blank
Igorek
886 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.67K Views
How much to charge for sponsorship spot on my blog?

I have been asked how much do we charge for a sponsorship or an ad in our blog... what is a fair price, do you charge per month, size, location in page? any tips will be greatly appreciated. The...

asked Oct 15 '10 at 01:12
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
3.15K Views
Can you act as a white-label payment service built on top of a payment processor?

Can a company who has a merchant account act as a white-label "middle-man" between another merchant and a payment processing company like Paypal? For example, a white-label company offers an API...

asked Sep 12 '10 at 15:04
Blank
Javid Jamae
347 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Monthly billing between PayPal and a spreedly, recurly

Paypal's simplest integration is an IPN and is super simple, but we all know the risks, and how badly they handle monthly billing. But it takes an hour to set up and is $.30 + 3% or something. It...

asked Jun 12 '10 at 03:09
Blank
User3635
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.59K Views
Accept Credit Card payments in the US - Europe based company

We're a European based startup planning to sell domain names and digital goods into a niche market and will focus primarily on the US market. The only current option for accepting credit card...

asked Apr 13 '10 at 08:13
Blank
Roland
33 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
How to charge a customer for a tailor-made solution (ERP)?

We are designing a tailor-made ERP application for a SMB customer whose processess are very specific and have been very succesful for the last 20 years. Question is: How to charge for the project?...

asked Mar 11 '10 at 02:41
Blank
D Llamas
11 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.3K Views
Strategy for unveiling a social network?

I have identified a niche community, for which I want to build a social network. From compete.com, I see that the TAM is at least 10K unique active users. Their web activites revolve around an...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 11:38
Blank
John
96 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
5.42K Views
Agency consulting: Hourly vs. Fixed bids

We currently do all our work with the hourly model, charging $X/hr. $X is the same for all types of work: graphic design, print layout, website design & development, SEO, etc. But, as we are...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 08:19
Blank
Marcus Blankenship
376 points