Cloud Questions

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.87K Views
Is developing a backend for a mobile application costly?

I'm developing mobile apps for a time and I feel I'm spending nearly 50% of my time for backend development, choosing the technology, etc. Now I have a new idea for a mobile startup. I want to...

asked Apr 21 '12 at 04:25
Blank
Newth
23 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
Is it safe to use cloud services like Dropbox and Google Docs to store sensitive documents?

I'm exploring safe places to store my startup's intellectual property. These could be anything from vendor lists to investor term sheets, etc.Should I trust cloud service providers like Google and...

asked Jun 11 '15 at 18:14
Blank
Brenda Tanner
14 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.03K Views
Which cloud hosting service would you recommend for startups: PaaS like Heroku and AWS or virtual servers like Digital Ocean and Linode?

For a new startup with limited funds and a single developer, would you recommend PaaS platforms like Heroku or self-managed server instances like Digital Ocean?Also, is it just me or does AWS seems...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 11:40
Blank
Chester Davis
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Does uploading music files from the hard disk of a user to a music player app illegal?

I was just thinking of building a web app(for learning purposes) that would let users upload their music files on to a server and then create playlists that could be heard from anywhere in the...

asked Feb 3 '13 at 04:50
Blank
Karthik Kannan
156 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.08K Views
Does anyone have any evidence of cost-per-user scaling on AppHarbor?

I'm trying to work out the viability of a web service and I'm trying to wrap my head around the impact that increasing numbers of users will have on costs. This is mostly a concern about not...

asked Feb 3 '13 at 13:38
Blank
Simon Gill
104 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.61K Views
Percentage of enterprises who have policies against using Cloud solutions

There is a lot of hype about cloud solutions and I am considering whether to develop a piece of software to be sold in the Enterprise Segment as a cloud solution or as a regular software solution...

asked Dec 18 '11 at 12:51
Blank
David
1,567 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Legal aspects of internalization - selling software online

I'm making an engineering software. It's for a very specific market. The market size of the software, if I take only my country, is too small. But since I'm planning to launch it "cloud based",...

asked Nov 4 '11 at 20:47
Blank
Jbcolmenares
117 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.2K Views
What monetization ways I have?

I plan to start business like DropBox. It's not exactly like DropBox but something similar. DropBox is charging monthly fees for their subscription but my service is total free of cost. It's cloud...

asked Oct 18 '11 at 23:54
Blank
Umair Ashraf
135 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Is there such thing as a "real virtual computer"

Myself and a few others have been doing a bit of research and couldn’t find anything on the following. A virtual pc, where I could use my not-so-good current pc but have access to a much better,...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 09:33
Blank
Logi Kal
37 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
How to calculate prices of my service based on Amazon Ec2 prices?

I'm going to provide some service for media content management. I will use Ec2 instances for service hosting. So, what are reasonable margins to Ec2 prices? What guides exist for such a matter? I...

asked Aug 9 '11 at 04:56
Blank
Alehro
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
recommendations for PHP/HTML CMS for a Cloud database

I am working with a web development and design company that has posed a custom CMS for my business. Since this will eat up 60% of the budget for the site, and also I fear tie me to the company, I...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 08:13
Blank
Jdarl1
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.89K Views
Any tips on using DotCloud for IT for a web site startup?

I came across DotCloud this weekend. It looks like an awesome way to build a web based startup with pre-configured modules. Here's how they position themselves: "Assemble your stack from...

asked Apr 19 '11 at 03:29
Blank
Warren E. Hart
2,181 points

9 Votes
7 Answers
2.59K Views
Outages on cloud platforms and lost revenue - what recourse do I have?

Inspired by today's EC2 outage, if I build a webapp on a cloud service, and they have an outage which affects my business, is there anyway I can hold them responsible for lost revenue? Or should I...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 02:59
Blank
Korneel Bouman
148 points