Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
We're two engineers, do we need a business oriented founder?

We are a team of two engineers creating our first SaaS startup. Should we spend time finding someone to better guide the ship from the business end? We haven't raised any money yet but looking...

asked Feb 26 '14 at 00:46
Blank
Leeann Rodriquez
35 points

21 Votes
5 Answers
4.53K Views
Teammates have pushed me out of our venture. What to do now?

I along with 3 other people created a concept for an innovative Ecommerce platform as part of a 5 week startup pre-incubator. We had a great run and on demo day we won the audience and panel of...

asked Aug 20 '11 at 04:10
Blank
Adjoa Opoku
106 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
How to convince co-founder that we need to shutdown our company?

My co-founder and I have been working on a bunch of different apps for Android that just aren't going anywhere.While we both hold full time jobs and do this on the side, how do I break it to him...

asked Mar 3 '14 at 22:36
Blank
Susan Wagner
60 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
Should I bring in a co-founder, or hire?

I'm a developer, who has been working solo on a startup for close to 12 months. The tech side is coming along well, but I'm acutely lacking in my business accumen, and sales skills. Here's some...

asked Mar 20 '13 at 11:53
Blank
Marty Pitt
171 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.99K Views
Need advice on assigning equity structure for 1 year old startup

I need advice and experienced views on establishing a proper original founder equity picture in a project. Here are the details: Founder A - Coder / Co-Product Designer / Co-Original Idea...

asked Feb 25 '14 at 18:49
Blank
Dan Newman
21 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.88K Views
Best way to deal with co-founder who has second thoughts about equity split a year into the startup?

A year into a startup, your product is built and you have some traction. You see signs of growing discontent in your co-founder so you confront him to see what's up. And then he drops an issue I...

asked Feb 21 '14 at 05:02
Blank
Jared B.
16 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.57K Views
For solo founders, how do you distinguish between a first employee and potential co-founder?

I'm a single founder working on a mobile app and looking to either get a co-founder or just out right hire someone as the first employee (I have some savings that I can use to pay a few months...

asked Feb 14 '14 at 14:01
Blank
Mario Freytag
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.69K Views
How much equity is fair for a non-technical co-founder joining pre-revenue with a product ready to launch

What is a reasonable equity split where two people have been working separately on a similar tech idea and are now looking to join forces. These individuals are friends. Despite both working...

asked Jul 27 '13 at 06:41
Blank
Hopeful
16 points

23 Votes
11 Answers
4.57K Views
Going it Alone VS. Seeking a Co-Founder

Working on my first startup, I'm fortunate enough to have a wide set of "do-it-myself" skills, ranging from technical to industry specific. I haven't been looking for a partner, quite simply,...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 00:36
Blank
Ez Yz
473 points

22 Votes
5 Answers
4.83K Views
What's the best way to find/evaluate a Marketing co-founder?

As a follow-on to my last question What is the ideal mix of founders for a SaaS startup? it seems that a Marketeer is important to a SaaS startup. I think it's fairly easy to find and evaluate...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 23:46
Blank
Denis Hennessy
1,363 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.6K Views
Ownership of Intellectual Property of a co-Founder

If I, by myself have programmed a website with a lot of contents, I want to start a c-corp to run this website. I will own majority of the shares but there will also be a marketing person and a...

asked Dec 4 '13 at 07:09
Blank
User26315
6 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
Two new "business minded" devs - Do we need a Hustler?

I am working on a hardware-software combo B2B startup in Seattle. We've only been around for 2 weeks on a part-time basis. We are two somewhat experienced software/web devs. Together we secured a...

asked Dec 4 '13 at 14:45
Blank
User2990504
21 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Instead of finding a technical cofounder, can I just make a "hacker collective?"

I recently had the thought that instead of trying to find a cofounder or two, and promising them inexact amounts of equity (we never hear of 23.61% cofounder equity), I could instead just leverage...

asked Dec 6 '13 at 11:09
Blank
User258613
13 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
Cofounder on a salary

I'm looking for a startup opportunity in London. I was given an offer to be a startup cofounder. B2B app for finance market. The team will be me an a business guy. He is giving all the money for...

asked Nov 16 '13 at 03:00
Blank
Lukas
110 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
Can CEO work from home?

I would like to know if a CEO can work from home. The question is weird, but I would just like to know the answer. When there were company board meetings, he needs to attend and that is OK. He...

asked Nov 21 '13 at 01:22
Blank
Java Technical
152 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.78K Views
Which type of visa is suitable for an Indian co founder to come to US

I’m a co-founder of a start up in US. An Israeli company is invested in our business. Among other 2 co-founders one is a US citizen and the other is from Israel who is having a US visa. So which...

asked Nov 2 '13 at 02:31
Blank
Jibin George
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.3K Views
How can a founder structure the stock options pool to get guaranteed percentage?

Let's say I have a company where I am the founder and also have 2 employees - E1 and E2. Let's say there are 1000 authorized shares, but only 800 of them are issued. 600 of those shares are...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 04:45
Blank
Salmon
970 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Is it a good idea to find a co-founder with good business orientation?

I am a tech person and have been longing to create a startup but don't have enough skills in making business plans. Do you think is it a good idea to find a co-founder? Someone with orientation to...

asked Sep 10 '13 at 09:17
Blank
Abel Melquiades Callejo
47 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3K Views
What is the best time to quit my startup?

I joined an acquaintance-friend about a year ago as a co-founder on an idea he was working on. The guy I joined is someone I wasn’t super close to, but have been friendly with for quite some time....

asked Sep 24 '13 at 00:09
Blank
Cofounder2
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
What is a valid US visa for an Indian cofounder in an accelarated tech startup

A friend of mine in India is a cofounder of a company in the US that has just raised 100k$ in seed money from an accelerator similar to YCombinator(very well respected), but does not have an H1-B....

asked Aug 26 '13 at 23:59
Blank
Slartibartfast
106 points