Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

5 Votes
2 Answers
5.47K Views
How can a departing co-founder be compensated for giving back already vested shares?

I'm leaving a startup I co-founded, with some of my shares already vested. The other shareholders want me to give back more shares than specified by our vesting agreement. It does seem to make...

asked Jun 17 '13 at 22:37
Blank
Dan
26 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.33K Views
Question About C-Corp, Shareholder, and Officer

Person A wants to start a C-Corp in California operating a news website. He is wondering if the following form is legal? A is the only Shareholder and the only Director owning 100% equity. A will...

asked May 21 '13 at 11:29
Blank
User26315
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.03K Views
joining a startup, question about equity

(also posted on The Workplace ) A friend of mine (no tech bg, but lots of business xp) is planning to found a startup and has invited me to be the CTO. I have some background working in IT and in...

asked Jun 2 '13 at 06:14
Blank
User26496
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.51K Views
How do I add a new business partner?

We are a tech consulting company and our current group consists of four equity partners. We are interested in adding a new "business" partner, as our current partners are all technical, but we know...

asked Apr 27 '13 at 06:31
Blank
Bd2x
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.53K Views
Setting a stock vesting schedule retroactively

So here's the the quick summary: Three co-founders with shares equally divided. Started working on it about a year ago, got incorporated about 4 months ago. Now one of the co-founders wants to...

asked Apr 29 '13 at 05:36
Blank
Neon Blue Hair
66 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.96K Views
Left my startup pre-launch. What percent equity is fair?

6 months ago I quit my job to start a startup with two other people. I'm the business guy. I worked full-time on the project from day No. 1, and made substantial contributions to branding, customer...

asked Apr 30 '13 at 08:23
Blank
Ileftearly
21 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.81K Views
How to find developers for a startup with next separation of the business?

I'm a software developer and I have made the first alpha version of my service. And now I need more human resources to make something significant. I need people which will work for free yet. And...

asked Apr 16 '13 at 23:58
Blank
Sergzach
101 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
2.47K Views
Sticky IP situation

We are in a sticky situation, that is no ones fault but our own. We had approached a developer to join our startup. After showing him the project he was excited and decided to join. Our mistake was...

asked Apr 24 '13 at 15:13
Blank
Derek
164 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3.02K Views
Co-Founder of Company wants to quit

I have a unique problem that I was hoping to get some clarity on. The Co-Founder of our business (in Canada) wants to end the business and get out. The company has been operating for 3 years and...

asked Mar 31 '13 at 15:21
Blank
Ben
23 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
LLC partnership on student visa and then transfer to H1B

I am on F1 visa. I'm done with my masters and am on my OPT. Can I be a partner in an LLC? What about when I go on H1B. I'm looking to startup in Texas & California both. I tried to look for...

asked Mar 7 '13 at 10:10
Blank
Diablo Sharma
28 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Green card application for founder

We are now at a stage where we'd like to apply for a green card for one of the founders. It seems that this is very difficult to do given that the requirements state that the position for the green...

asked Mar 8 '13 at 06:24
Blank
Conor Power
18 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
CEO didn't really function for a year+, steps down, but want to keep his equity minus a bit. Make sense?

We are 3 partners, working on a mobile / web startup for a year and 4 months. The CEO didn't put this startup as his #1 priority as he's involved in some other ventures. Apart from a meeting or a...

asked Mar 13 '13 at 08:44
Blank
The Lean Startupist
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
Cofounder has 10% as a designer

I'm in the process of building a new responsive web/mobile app. After I quit my job and now full time working on it, I decided it will be a good idea to get a designer. I wanted her to be...

asked Mar 16 '13 at 17:43
Blank
And Py
15 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Equity split 50/50 and past contributions

I've checked other questions but none cover the topic of past contributions. I'm wondering how much weight does time spent before incorporating matter. Do Founder A earlier contributions have...

asked Feb 23 '13 at 00:12
Blank
Jean Pierre
48 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Co-Founder Help

I am only 14, so I don't have an immense amount of money to make my idea happen. While I am very technical, I can't write code from scratch. I am very good with selling my ideas and getting people...

asked Mar 3 '13 at 16:16
Blank
None
16 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.87K Views
How to fire my Partner

I started a company in August of 2012 signing up 25 customers as a separate part of a corporation I have had since 2010 and brought in a partner in September. The partner did not put in any money...

asked Feb 14 '13 at 04:17
Blank
User24008
19 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.15K Views
How much equity for co-founder reducing role for academic program?

I'm a technical co-founder in a pre-funding company in a niche tech segment, working with two non-technical co-founders who have largely overlapping skill sets. I met them at a networking event and...

asked Feb 17 '13 at 15:07
Blank
User25060
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
Is my approach to find a cofounder flawed?

I've gone to countless networking events, underground entrepreneur groups, cofounder sites like CoFoundersLab, etc. I'm looking more on the business-dev. end. I've talked to quite a few 1:1 and...

asked Feb 19 '13 at 07:14
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Splitting equity between founders

X was working part-time on an idea and after about a year and a basic demo in hand, he talked to two potential people (A and B) who would become co-founders but would work part-time just like X....

asked Jan 29 '13 at 19:53
Blank
Vibgy
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Director service contracts

The two of us are going to found a company and will work on all necessary tasks without taking pay at least for the first year. In this case, are we going to be Executive Directors? If so, will we...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 03:16
Blank
Kate
99 points