Compensation Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.02K Views
Joining a startup

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? Apologies for the lack of brevity, but I wanted to give you a full picture of the situation. Appreciate...

asked Nov 18 '12 at 21:45
Blank
Aj Yusuf
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
We are bootstrapping our startup, Is this a fair compensation offer?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? We have a team made up of four co-founders. Our equity split is: Co-founder #1 40% Co-founder #2...

asked Oct 20 '12 at 07:41
Blank
Derek
164 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
3.07K Views
Potential offer as first employee at startup, worth it?

I am a software engineer with about 2 years experience and currently at a big tech company. I have an offer to join a startup that has just received seed funding of 250k and they're about 6 months...

asked Oct 4 '12 at 18:06
Blank
Rob
31 points

12 Votes
4 Answers
2.62K Views
Expanding development team for a startup

I'm a software developer and co-founder of a start up that's in a sprint to launch a web app the next 2 months. We have about 3 months of burn time we have before we need to get some funding. By...

asked Sep 28 '12 at 03:58
Blank
Acjohnson55
181 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.91K Views
Working as early employee but not get paid

I got hired as an early employee (employee #4) and considered as key engineer of the company. As compensation, I got some stock option grant (1%), and well below market salary (about 30% of what I...

asked Sep 17 '12 at 00:45
Blank
T. W.
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
How should early employees be compensated if founders have left and the company has pivoted?

I realize that Joel Spoelsky has written an extensive summary of how equity should be allocated (namely, fairly), but I was wondering how things might differ in slightly different...

asked Aug 1 '12 at 06:15
Blank
Nt3 Rp
115 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.79K Views
Is this a fair CEO offer for an experienced CFO/COO

My question/story is this: two years ago I broke ground on a startup. We planned and planned, raised some funds and broke ground writing code. Two years later we put $250k into the business, have...

asked Aug 2 '12 at 15:39
Blank
Webwrks
131 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.17K Views
What non-monetary rewards can I give to an outstanding remote worker?

I have a remote worker (He lives in South Africa, we are in Israel) in my team of 3, and I want to reward him for his awesome work. There is not enough budget to compensate him more but I still...

asked Jun 19 '12 at 03:39
Blank
Mikle
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.83K Views
Reasonable compensation for building a product prototype

I'm negotiating a job to build a prototype for some people. They will show that prototype to investors and can potentially get funded. Do people usually get compensated for this? If so, what...

asked May 28 '12 at 16:13
Blank
Russell
180 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.62K Views
Partner leaving - Compensation

We are 2 partners of a shop. From next year we will no longer remain partners as I will be starting another business. My partner would continue to operate the shop. What are the most common...

asked May 11 '12 at 16:18
Blank
Goths
116 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.43K Views
Founder is responsible for sales and wants incentives in addition to our equal compensation

My partner is the founder and I am the co-founder of our company. He has a sales background and I have operations. We agreed for him to have more equity (50/30) as the company/products were his...

asked May 13 '12 at 04:45
Blank
Alex
31 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
15.9K Views
What's a typical sales compensation for professional services firms?

We are looking at hiring our first sales person (who is not one of the partners) so that we (the partners) can focus on building the business instead of Lead Generation/Qualification. The question...

asked Mar 27 '12 at 05:49
Blank
Jd Blue Audi S4
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.94K Views
Compensation model for a joint venture

We're looking to enter a joint venture with another entity in order to collaborate on a large IT based project. The agreement is that the other entity will provide most of the human resources,...

asked Mar 17 '12 at 00:56
Blank
James
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
Commission or Compensation for a Regional Outside Salesman for a Product-Based Business?

My Company & Personal Background I have never hired/managed a sales person, but I would like to hire my first. From when I founded the company 3 years ago up until now, I've only received...

asked Feb 13 '12 at 08:09
Blank
Clint
695 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.78K Views
Fair commission for sales agent

My start-up is going to provide B2B custom software development services on a project by project basis. I have been talking to a prospective sales agent, who would take over the following...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 21:31
Blank
Phil
13 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.04K Views
What equity should I claim as a founder CEO?

Some people I know came up with a idea of a startup. They will provide also the seed investment (50k) and contacts for future investment rounds. I will be in charge of the start up of the company...

asked Jan 26 '12 at 04:28
Blank
Thomas
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.77K Views
Where can i find comparable Sales Compensation data?

So I'm looking for some personal experiences on compensation for sales representatives from start-ups and/or established corporations. I've looked at many of the salary information websites but I'm...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 14:36
Blank
David Mokon Bond
234 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.56K Views
pure equity compesation

I hired a full time person with equity-only compensation. The higher-than-usual rate reflects that. However the contract was not professionally written as it only mentions the equity part. Can that...

asked Jan 4 '12 at 09:15
Blank
Sam
6 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Estimating Sales Compensation

I've been operating under the assumption that I want to set the commission rate for my commission only sales reps based on: (# of sales) * (average deal value) * (r) = compensation or r = c/(N*V)....

asked Dec 9 '11 at 18:21
Blank
Umassthrower
458 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.49K Views
Vesting Schedule for an initial "100% CTO"

Classic case startup, 1 biz-dev + 1 techie. The 1 techie gets to be the lone warrior to build the entire contraption. The gut rule seems 50-50, but there are complications with that. What's a...

asked Dec 15 '11 at 12:57
Blank
Ina
121 points