Compensation Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
Commission for in-house sales activity

I'm joining a software startup as a (co-founding) CTO. I am also bringing my industry contacts into the venture, and will be the only person taking initiative on business development. My contacts...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 16:24
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

8 Votes
1 Answers
7.51K Views
What is the difference between Series A, Series B and Series C investment?

What is the difference between Series A, Series B and Series C investment for a startup? How does this affect salary and/or equity expectations if I am looking to join a startup in a...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 00:23
Blank
Nissan Dookeran
177 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
How should I get compensated for co-founding a new company

I have been involved in a particular industry for some time, opening my company in 1983 and selling app 25 years later. I enjoy the industry and have a good grasp of how to build a successful...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 13:07
Blank
User9381
16 points

8 Votes
6 Answers
3.6K Views
Web developer in project, slow going, need advice

I was approached over a year ago by a "start up" offering me 10% in the company. I thought about it for a few days and said, "Sure, why not?". I was sucked into the dream of being a part of...

asked Apr 3 '11 at 10:22
Blank
43 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
4.94K Views
Stock options for a senior engineer at an angel funded startup?

I joined a startup 6 months after its founding as a junior engineer (I was right out of college at the time). I've been with the startup for almost 6 years now, and I've progressed to the point of...

asked Mar 13 '11 at 08:39
Blank
Seth
134 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.98K Views
ideas for compensation contract with series B startup

Hi and thanks in advance. I've done some looking around to determine where to start with startup compensation. I work as a contractor exclusively for a startup currently in series b round, I've...

asked Feb 23 '11 at 09:53
Blank
User7991
11 points

5 Votes
8 Answers
3.31K Views
How can I have people work for my start-up if I have no way to pay them?

I would like to know how I can have other people to work for me.

asked Feb 24 '11 at 15:09
Blank
Appmaster
89 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.77K Views
Compensation for Co-founders, plus additional vested equity

I have a company share proposal for co-founders of a web-application startup. I would like to if the structure makes sense, or if anyone can suggest a more suitable structure, which has the desired...

asked Feb 25 '11 at 06:03
Blank
Michael Parks
3 points

7 Votes
1 Answers
8.85K Views
What's a typical sales commission for professional services?

What's a typical sales commission for professional services? I ask because I am thinking of going into business with some friends (professional services and product company). We agree on how to...

asked Feb 6 '11 at 11:11
Blank
Hvgotcodes
171 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.7K Views
Compensation for co-founders and employees in a startup

In my earlier venture attempts, the scenario was something like 3 guys, each of whom would get 33.3%. I found out soon that this was silly because as soon as one of us lost interest, he could do...

asked Jan 8 '11 at 03:38
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.36K Views
The case of a co-founder (seeking answers on compensation/equity stake)

I am writing to describe my entrepreneurial venture and seek your comments on what I should expect for myself as the new company gets started. My colleague of many years at my previous company (a...

asked Dec 8 '10 at 00:51
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.67K Views
How to split profit in a property management business inc between two owners?

My friend and I are starting a property management business (inc). How do we determine profit sharing? We charge property owner a set percentage as a fee. We are thinking 50/50 on everything losses...

asked Dec 8 '10 at 14:21
Blank
User5860
6 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
Competing With "Fair" Wages

Right off the bat, I have decided there is no way I will be able to compete in the software/IT-services world on price. There are a number of offshore organizations, for example, that provide the...

asked Nov 9 '10 at 02:26
Blank
Senfo
152 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.05K Views
How to hire a salesman?

Usually salesmen have a base pay and then commission on each sale. I want to know how a company handles this? I mean for example a salesman's basic pay is $1000 and commission ratio is 10% for each...

asked Oct 30 '10 at 23:55
Blank
Dr. Zuni
11 points

14 Votes
8 Answers
3.97K Views
Taking care of beta testers

In the development of our application, we've relied heavily on a handful of beta testers. Their input has been very, very valuable and has no doubt made our application much, much better than it...

asked May 26 '10 at 05:44
Blank
Ryan
71 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.9K Views
Founders' compensation in business plan: include it or not?

We're presenting a business plan for our startup, and I wonder if we should include our own compensation in the financial projections. I mean, our compensation is distributed on a "as-available"...

asked Jun 7 '10 at 18:42
Blank
Deleted
655 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.97K Views
The compensation equation - what's a good mix?

Here is the compensation equation, as I see it: Equity - how much ownership one has, and when (roughly) it will be worth something Wage - how much salary one recieves Career - how the position...

asked Nov 18 '09 at 23:45
Blank
Cortez
26 points