Competition Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.62K Views
Why do retail outlets not stop stocking a product they've copied?

To increase profit, a supermarket chain may create their own house-brand version of a certain product. But why is it then that they keep stocking the competitor product?

asked Oct 23 '13 at 05:59
Blank
Warren Van Rooyen
34 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
How to protect the idea of a launched website from possible competitors?

We have just completed and launched our web based project and we are preparing for our marketing strategy after that we are sure we will get quite enough attention and users. After researching for...

asked Oct 5 '13 at 21:08
Blank
Disconnect25
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
How can I prevent retail outlets from creating their own version of my product?

I'm afraid, with what I want to supply being in the fresh food realm that retail outlets may quickly create their own version of my product to cut me out of the equation. Because it's in the...

asked Oct 22 '13 at 04:40
Blank
Warren Van Rooyen
34 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
How to estimate a competitor's ballpark income?

I imagine this is a very tricky question but hopefully I can get a few insights here. I am currently wrapping up a personal project (SaaS) that is aimed at a fairly new niche market. There is a...

asked Aug 17 '13 at 17:30
Blank
Silk Admin
106 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.88K Views
A Project Completed At Home - My Employer Wants Rights To The System

I currently work within a call centre as a manager and I have a lot of admin work to complete. During my own time, at home, on my own PC I started developing a system/tool via Excel that would...

asked Aug 21 '13 at 21:50
Blank
Jim Cullinane
41 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.37K Views
Strategies for When One Discovers Competitor

For that past few months, I've been building a product that targets a specific niche. The kind of product I have been building hasn't been around the marketplace, and I knew there is a...

asked Mar 7 '13 at 06:34
Blank
K2x L
111 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.35K Views
Can you be sued by a competitor simply for looking at their website?

I have been working on a SaaS product for about a year and a half (on and off, among other projects). Lately I have gotten serious about the product. While doing a routine evaluation of competitors...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 09:06
Blank
Joe A
1,196 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Stealing customers from competitors on Twitter?

I am currently running a very simple side project which I hope will lead to something bigger. I see quite a few tweets from my competitors customers saying they're using their product for a...

asked Jan 8 '13 at 07:28
Blank
Abs
118 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.44K Views
Do people consider gamification a feature, business concept, or strategy?

I took a course on gamification it cleared a lot of thing up but I'm still confuse. A gamified app or website has to be build from ground up through the lens of a game designer. So, I think is a...

asked Dec 23 '12 at 13:33
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
When does inspiration become theft?

When is it taking inspiration from a competitor, and when is it theft? I'd like to know the general questions to ask myself when reviewing competing products in creation of my own. (I'd be...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 07:41
Blank
Mirov
384 points

14 Votes
3 Answers
3.04K Views
When to compete on an idea?

I spend a lot of time thinking about potential start up ideas. I come up with a couple every now and then, but when I go searching online there is always quite a few competitors. I don't think I've...

asked Oct 24 '12 at 06:24
Blank
Brian D.
173 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Why "Big" companies acquire instead of just copying startups?

Most of us know the quote: “Good artists copy, Great artists steal” - Steve Jobs Copying and in extreme cases stealing is no news as a recipe for a successful businesses. Whether the term...

asked Aug 9 '12 at 05:31
Blank
Shed Meyers
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.05K Views
Exclusivity on a free platform?

Im developing a business model that brings a new feature to its market. the idea itself is new and nobody is doing it today. in order to enable this, Im using an existing platform (free at this...

asked Jun 4 '12 at 14:37
Blank
Lior
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.57K Views
Evaluating competitors assets

I'm curious to know how most go about gathering information regarding their competitors? I am interested in developing an application that would directly compete with numerous websites and I am...

asked Jun 5 '12 at 05:20
Blank
Tbowman
217 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.95K Views
Am I ruining the industry?

I'm currently building/running a 'digital marketing agency' from home with my partner. We provide websites (business card sites, CMS-driven sites, e-commerce etc), hosting, email services right...

asked Jun 3 '12 at 03:26
Blank
Anonymous
557 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.37K Views
How do I get financial information for a competitor located in Canada?

How do I get financial information (turnover, profit etc) for a competitor located in Canada? Here in Sweden, there are several sites which can be used to get financial information. For instance,...

asked May 9 '12 at 19:58
Blank
Jgauffin
119 points

9 Votes
6 Answers
2.74K Views
Just getting started; someone else released the same app - what now?

Please imagine this scenario for a moment: You've got a great idea for a software product, and research indicates you've got basically no competition because your product has unique features...

asked May 14 '12 at 17:25
Blank
Torben Gundtofte Bruun
350 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Marketing - Competitor goes out of business

I've read that the online image editor app http://www.picnik.com closes. How should a competitor react on such a message? What marketing measures are the right ones to reach users that are looking...

asked Apr 10 '12 at 19:40
Blank
James
16 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
Researching competition that is under-cutting the market

Scenario: I'm in the market research stage of my startup (manufacturing), and when researching my competition I noticed one company who is able to provide similar goods to what I plan to sell at a...

asked Mar 31 '12 at 04:53
Blank
User19897
18 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.77K Views
Should I describe my differentiators on my website, or will the competition copy from me?

I'm launching a website with some features that are different from my two competitors. One of my competitors established a website in 2008, and one launched in January. A friend told me not to...

asked Mar 31 '12 at 07:11
Blank
Afnan Bashir
103 points