Competition Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Launching Competing SaaS (how blatant can you mention your competitor)

I am launching some SaaS later next week that will be directly competing with someone who has a monopoly in the space. We will (hopefully) be cheaper, more features, better support and more...

asked Aug 11 '11 at 04:59
Blank
Nextgenneo
327 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
How to find out the price of a niche product?

we have a customer that's about to choose between us writing software for them, and a ready made solution. The market is investment banking, and we have the opportunity to staff people and grow our...

asked Aug 14 '11 at 09:15
Blank
Mithrandir
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Low Barriers to entry

I am looking to start a service business that has very low barriers to entry and I am concerned with competition. Has anyone had a similar problem or concern? If so, what have you done to overcome...

asked Aug 16 '11 at 09:41
Blank
Grandejessica
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.16K Views
Is it worth the effort to try to make a better version of another iPhone app?

This app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/graphing-calculator/id289940142?mt=8) seems pretty good, but I would like to make a better version. I am already an iPhone app developer. Is it worth it to...

asked Jul 12 '11 at 05:58
Blank
Ethan
113 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
How to get permission/integrate with ERP legally?

I created my own product(P) which is pretty much standalone but would benefit a LOT if it integrates with existing ERP package(ERP). Integration can be done 2 ways: read only where I pull data...

asked Jul 1 '11 at 12:33
Blank
Katit
276 points

-1 Votes
3 Answers
1.89K Views
Tumblr, EverNote, Facebook - How Do They Start?

There is a lot's of start-ups that not protected by a patent like tumblr/twitter/evernote and more... How do they start getting massive users without letting copycats and Competitor disturbing...

asked Jun 21 '11 at 01:47
Blank
Frank Parsons
6 points

10 Votes
4 Answers
2.86K Views
How does "second to market" compete with "first to market" when the company that was first to market is very entrenched in the market already?

As an example, let's take Yelp. Yelp has carved out a serious niche for itself in the user review market. What if you thought you could do it better? How would you make traction in that market?...

asked Jun 11 '11 at 18:58
Blank
Richard Des Londe
206 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
What lessons can we learn about running a software company from Facebook's triumph over MySpace?

At one point MySpace was THE winner in social networks, but over the span of just a few years lost out to Facebook. Why did this happen? And what lessons can we learn for our own companies? I am...

asked May 20 '11 at 03:25
Blank
Jim Daniel
119 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.56K Views
I have a startup that is almost ready and I'm finding it hard to get companies on board, what can I do?

I know this question has been asked many times before in a plethora of different ways, but I couldn't find anything to help me out, so my apologies if this comes off as a duplicate of another...

asked May 25 '11 at 09:49
Blank
Digital Sea
1,613 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
How Can I Estimate How Many Software Sales My Competitors are Getting?

I'm in a field with several hundred competitors, a few big, some medium, but most are small ISVs. Are there any tools out there that will help estimate how my competitors are doing in terms of...

asked May 16 '11 at 10:07
Blank
Lkessler
1,471 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.03K Views
Can Price be the ONLY competitive advantage?

I am just venturing into a new product and one thing I realised is that "Price is the ONLY one advantage" I have. I have solid web-development experience and I can build web apps in a fraction of...

asked May 17 '11 at 04:42
Blank
User8226
197 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.99K Views
Unique Visitors to Customer Base corelation

I am researching my competitors before getting into SAAS based software market. For one of the competitors total monthly unique visitors to be 3000. I am calculating roughly 50% of them are...

asked May 17 '11 at 06:02
Blank
User8226
197 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
What makes customers jump ship?

There is Company X online that provides a service for its visitors - and though they currently have the monopoly and have for the past 10 years, the quality of their service is not so great and...

asked May 18 '11 at 01:59
Blank
Sam
509 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.27K Views
What is the best way to see data on all the websites referring traffic to a competitors site?

www.Compete.com www.Alexa.com Are there other valuable sources I am missing? I would like to avoid a 499/month subscription to see data about the sites referring traffic to a specific URL, however...

asked May 6 '11 at 01:29
Blank
Dan
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.23K Views
Startup budgets and competitors

I am finally putting the final touches on my business plan and have begun looking for seed capital for my project. In recent weeks I have come upon new data about the startup capital of some of...

asked May 10 '11 at 07:50
Blank
Miguel Buckenmeyer
482 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.24K Views
Swimming with sharks

I have a software package that works in concert with other systems that are similar to CRMs. (sorry to be vague). Our clients will always have one of the "crm"'s installed and our product bolts on...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 05:06
Blank
Chris Lively
443 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
How to compete in this special scenario?

There are currently two providers of an IT-solution in a national market. These two charge roughly four times the price I would expect to see in a functioning market. This indicates that the two...

asked Apr 29 '11 at 19:05
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2K Views
How could one take advantage of releasing very late?

There is talk about the minimal viable product and release early and often. These principles are fine in most circumstances, but what if you KNOW that your product will be far better than the...

asked May 1 '11 at 06:36
Blank
David
1,567 points

9 Votes
9 Answers
3.96K Views
How would you differenciate yourself if you were to compete with online accounting software?

E-conomic is online accounting software, which enables you to write invoices to customers using web forms, track inventory etc. I am considering to start a company, which would compete with this...

asked Apr 10 '11 at 18:37
Blank
David
1,567 points

11 Votes
7 Answers
2.98K Views
Should I continue against well-funded competition?

I started working on a location based game for smartphones this past august (www.tuzo.ca). At the time, competitors included Foursquare, Gowalla, and some smaller players but i felt like I could...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 14:40
Blank
Janan Rajeevikaran
76 points