Consulting Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
How do I put my conditions for repairing a computer into writing?

I have been a fulltime student recently working on graduate work to complete a graduate degree. While continuing my studies I have maintained my computer hobby. However, recently my computer hobby...

asked Mar 9 '11 at 10:41
Blank
John
106 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.78K Views
Is it legal using virtual currency in a swapping stuff website?

The site www.listia.com uses credits as a way to buy goods through auctions. These credits are not real money with the exception that you can buy more credits with real money if you desperately...

asked Jan 27 '11 at 18:46
Blank
Shir
51 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.43K Views
What steps to take to start a consulting company?

I am writing today to understand and read what your take is in starting a consulting company. Currently I hold a day job, which I am happy with, but I want to become more flexible in terms of...

asked Jan 15 '11 at 16:33
Blank
Geo
268 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.27K Views
Precautions to take while getting to know people?

A friend of mine has a startup. I introduce him to people at times, and he's got contacts who are useful to me too. When meeting up with such contacts, what precautions could we follow or how can...

asked Jan 21 '11 at 00:35
Blank
Nav
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
Seeking Wisdom from experienced business owners

Does anybody here understand the basics of online businesses (online billing- client relations management software, etc) and other aspects like hiring and working with outsourced help and Sales...

asked Dec 31 '10 at 17:49
Blank
Sergio Alvarez
46 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.71K Views
ideas, advice, procedure for my new facebook group IT consultancy

I am planning to start a consultancy using facebook fan/group/profile page. Could anyone shower some ideas about what all I can achieve. Some tips about this to make huge success? And the...

asked Nov 8 '10 at 15:38
Blank
User3383
100 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.3K Views
Transitioning from Research to Consulting

A friend and I want to start a consulting business. We can do data analysis. We both have Masters degrees and several years' work experience in research environments. Our basic skills are...

asked Oct 20 '10 at 17:19
Blank
Jensen
6 points

12 Votes
4 Answers
8.47K Views
How can I quit from my own company

I co-founded a consulting company in Vancouver 4 years ago with 2 partners. One of us is working full-time with the company and getting a modest salary. Me and my other partner are doing couple of...

asked Sep 26 '10 at 10:35
Blank
Boolean
388 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
How do I convince a client to use a computerised accounting system?

This is marketing question but don't know where to ask it. My possible client is relying in traditional manual accounting system. I want to convince him to use acomputerised accounting system. As...

asked Oct 6 '10 at 07:05
Blank
Kool Kabin
106 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Software development team troubleshooter/auditor. What do you think?

I have an idea for a business and would like some feedback. The other day I was thinking about software development teams and how they function, the things they do right and the things they do...

asked Sep 2 '10 at 12:12
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
Different ways to market my consulting firm in India

I am just into consulting (IT/ITES). Here the consulting means narrow downing the bridge between Job seekers and the Employers. The business is to get profile from the employer and find the...

asked Sep 22 '10 at 17:42
Blank
Tech Jerk
108 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.94K Views
Is there a business in consulting new entrepreneurs?

I own a software start up but I need to make some money in consulting on the side. I have seen many start ups and small businesses that could use help in defining their direction or positioning in...

asked Aug 12 '10 at 06:34
Blank
Stacey
484 points

10 Votes
5 Answers
3.57K Views
Using consulting to bootstrap your software startup

I've been through some pretty brutal experiences recently with venture capitalists and I'm looking into ways I can start a company without VC money. Has anyone out there used consulting to...

asked Jun 24 '10 at 11:33
Blank
Craig Daniel
223 points

-1 Votes
5 Answers
1.74K Views
As a consultant, what do you do if part of your new assignment requires expertise you don't have?

Tell the client openly and decline to take on the job or just accept parts of the job? Or say nothing and quietly outsource to another consultancy?

asked Jul 12 '10 at 19:14
Blank
Tatiana Andrushko
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
Contacting a Prospective Client - Round Two

All, I've just started up a consulting firm. There's a potential client I met with a couple weeks ago that felt like a pretty good fit. We met with them, and they explained their current product...

asked Jun 2 '10 at 00:31
Blank
Xkenneth
140 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
5.65K Views
Should you put your little consulting company on your resume?

I'm updating my resume for consulting positions. The projects I've done are going on my resume ... par for the course. The dilemma is if I should put my little consulting company on it. My first...

asked Mar 10 '10 at 09:00
Blank
John Mac Intyre
1,086 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
3.69K Views
Books / Advice on running an outsource software development shop?

So there's tons of documentation and books on project management, agile development, how to manage outsourcing projects, how to send our project offshore, etc... But I'm on the other side, I'm...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 03:05
Blank
Rabble
141 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
8.15K Views
How to calculate the price to quote for a service?

Is there a logical way to come up with pricing for a service such as below that my friend came up with. Are these valid ? Split down the service into as many small steps as possible. Make sure to...

asked Feb 5 '10 at 01:14
Blank
Emacsian
126 points

9 Votes
10 Answers
5.93K Views
Build in-house or outsource?

I'm working with a SaaS business with a non-technical founder/CEO and am looking for pros and cons for (1) building the software in-house vs (2) outsourcing version 1.0 to a consulting firm. From...

asked Jan 8 '10 at 07:39
Blank
Torrie
230 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.18K Views
When hiring a consultant, what criteria do you use to evaluate them?

Over the years, I have had mixed results with hiring consultants for various jobs. I used to think that if they were referred, then that was good enough but that's not as consistent as I would...

asked Dec 29 '09 at 23:49
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points