Contract Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.95K Views
How do you approach intellecutal property rights when developping general products for cilents?

We always "reserve the right to re-use any code written for this project" in our contracts with clients. With this in mind, if a later client needs a very similar web app, is it ethical to slightly...

asked Mar 5 '12 at 05:12
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
How do you structure contracts with clients

I am bidding on the construction of a website for a startup. We agreed to make it a fixed price contact, and I have what I consider a reasonable bid ready. What I wanted to know is how payment on...

asked Feb 20 '12 at 10:35
Blank
Bill Leeper
123 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.94K Views
Storing contracts with company contractors and other documents

A few days ago I registered a limited company in the UK. I use a registered office in England (which is my company agent's office), and myself live in Poland, and my Polish address is given as the...

asked Feb 11 '12 at 02:32
Blank
Lukeshek
452 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Require a contract of sale for a website

I'm selling a fully operating website and require a contract of sale for the UK. Can anyone recommend where I can find guidance or a template online?

asked Feb 8 '12 at 05:46
Blank
Jacqueline Casey
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
Writting in english - the correct way

I've learned English language on my own, and I'm sure that I'm making a lot of mistakes. Now I'm at the stage of hiring some freelancers, but I'm worried that my English will induce confusion in...

asked Feb 10 '12 at 06:13
Blank
Dole Doug
141 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
How do I draft a letter of intent?

I have an idea I am working on that I believe will be useful. I have been told that verbally several times. Rather than spend money on developing it to completion, I want my proposed...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 18:35
Blank
Oo The Nigerian
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Convincing a customer about a right decision

Just had an experience in my startup about a customer in my software start up. I develop server based software products for the past year and have a few customers for the same. A new customer came...

asked Jan 10 '12 at 12:41
Blank
Muthu
159 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
How do I protect myself contractually while providing software consulting services?

My partner and I are software developers. We have formed an LLC and are starting to take consulting gigs. We have spent most of our careers at larger companies and have never been involved with...

asked Dec 2 '11 at 15:15
Blank
Frank
113 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.13K Views
Is a non-compete enforceable if you are not an employee of the company?

My wife has an offer from a company in NYC and the contract says specifically that she would be an independent consultant for a 3 month trial period, and not an employee of the company during that...

asked Dec 5 '11 at 12:36
Blank
Nick Larsen
128 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.07K Views
Intellectual Property and Day Jobs

I run a small tech company providing custom web development (in Ontario, Canada), and I have a few clients. However, as I am still a student in university, I have co-op positions that I take every...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 08:50
Blank
Super Tron
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
Consulting on work related to future planned product

We recently approached a large company with a proposal to build them an application we thought they'd find useful. The idea is that they'd partner with us to get it developed and get unlimited...

asked Nov 24 '11 at 13:18
Blank
Terry B
121 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.46K Views
Need a terms of service generator for a web design startup

Does anybody know a good terms of service generator? I need one that, besides inserting company name and etc, will outline my and my customers' rights so I don't have to read the whole thing. I'm...

asked Nov 7 '11 at 07:11
Blank
Rooz Mahdavian
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Ways to work around creating a startup when working a job with a restrictive contract

I am happily employed as a software developer currently and have no plans to leave. An amazing opportunity presented itself to my dad that just screamed of a lucrative niche market with only a...

asked Nov 12 '11 at 06:32
Blank
Maple Shaft
323 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Online web design business: Contract or not?

I am doing a web design and development business planning. The system is client buy a website package online >> make a payment >> I collect their requirement >> We work together...

asked Nov 14 '11 at 08:49
Blank
Modular
39 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Is making your contract viewable online before purchase a good idea?

As part of being transparent, we're thinking of putting our contract up online in our services section. The idea is that people would be able to have a look, question us in advance, and overall be...

asked Oct 31 '11 at 15:19
Blank
Mirov
384 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
4.92K Views
I am a web model and I signed a contract with a non-compete clause I want to get out with out a problem help?

The contract is for 2 years and im only 2 months into it and it also has a non compete clause/Exclusivity clause ... so i really want to get out of this fast its a bad bad deal.. D. Exclusivity....

asked Oct 18 '11 at 00:06
Blank
Kiki
16 points

16 Votes
7 Answers
4.14K Views
Dealing with a Slow Developer

We outsourced development (out of the country) to get a prototype of our site put together. The developer estimated 8 weeks for the project, but admitted that they could not guarantee that it might...

asked Oct 21 '11 at 20:17
Blank
D Moore
174 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
A couple questions regarding mass product construction

What is the name for a company that contracts with other companies to mass produce products? And how hard and what is the process to get a contract of such for a small startup?

asked Oct 24 '11 at 11:58
Blank
Michael Grigsby
111 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.27K Views
Should we refund the deposit?

For a new website, he paid a deposit of $210 (30%). He looked through our porfolio, and got about 1/4 way through before saying "Awesome. Let's start!". We for him 2 design images and he didn't...

asked Oct 13 '11 at 23:33
Blank
Mirov
384 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.69K Views
Why can't a startup "own" its employees when sport clubs can?

Soccer clubs (at least in Europe) "own" their players for the duration of the contracts. These players are working for their clubs in a very similar way to employees working for startups. My...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 00:21
Blank
David
1,567 points