Contractor Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.75K Views
Pros and Cons of hiring remote contractors vs onsite employees?

What are some pros and cons of hiring full time employees onsite vs employing contractors on platforms like UpWork (ODesk)?Salary is one. In almost all cases remote workers are going to cost you...

asked Jun 16 '15 at 10:25
Blank
Larry Lamas
14 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
5.26K Views
Hiring a quality UX/UI designer for our startup?

We're have a tough time finding any good designers to hire for our startup. Most of the good designers are usually more interested in working at VC funded startups in the valley or more established...

asked Jun 10 '15 at 09:55
Blank
Keenan Bachelder
20 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.29K Views
Can you raise money from VCs if you're a solo founder and all your employees are ODesk contractors?

I have a solo founder (technical) who has hired 8 full time contractors on ODesk for my startup. We have launched an MVP and starting to get some initial traction.Would VCs reject such a startup...

asked Jun 13 '14 at 14:13
Blank
Mark Ballard
14 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
5.65K Views
Should I learn to code or hire a contractor?

I'm a marketing person with an idea for an app that I want to launch. Should I spend a few weeks or months learning how to code or should I save up some money and hire a programmer?Are there...

asked Sep 3 '14 at 21:55
Blank
Doug Blackwell
22 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.99K Views
Should you give a negative review to a contractor if they go AWOL or have personal problems, but otherwise do good work?

When reviewing or rating or providing references to a contractor, should you factor in them going AWOL, not responding, having personal problems, being flaky, but otherwise doing good work? I've...

asked Nov 9 '14 at 05:28
Blank
Starrychloe S.
83 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Should you give marginal equity to contractors that you hire?

What do you think about giving a tiny amount of equity to contractors and consultants? Do you think it would make them more motivated to do a better job if they have ownership in the company?

asked Apr 17 '14 at 22:42
Blank
Salvatore Cochrane
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
Sub-contracting consulting work: can you claim it as your own?

I run a small consulting operation and I have taken on more clients than I can service on my own. There is a contractor who can I sub-contract the extra work out to, who will do the work in the...

asked Apr 18 '14 at 18:11
Blank
Pauline Larrick
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
I want to start a limited company in The UK, as I am British, but live in Poland with my girlfriend

About 6 years ago I did have a limited company for Contract Work I was doing for 6 months, it was very simple and no problems. I now live in Poland with my girlfriend and found it difficult to get...

asked Aug 28 '13 at 23:19
Blank
Anthony Kerr
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Employment vs Sole Trading - UK

In the UK, is it possible to be in full time employment and be a sole trader at the same time? i.e. Work a full time job as an employee. Do contract work as a sole trader on evenings and...

asked May 20 '13 at 21:29
Blank
Flem
108 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Contracting with existing LLC - How to payout wages

A friend of mine and I have recently taken on a part time consulting gig. The job involves building custom software, and we've agreed to work 16 hours a week on the project. The contract was made...

asked May 23 '13 at 04:46
Blank
Rob H
6 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.64K Views
How to have reliable developers and securing code from being stolen

I have couple of concept for website but they require immense coding and designing. For that I am planning to hire developers and designers [Contractors]. As I know this is going to take couple of...

asked Mar 15 '13 at 22:23
Blank
Zerotoinfinite
133 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.86K Views
Side Business on Contractors of current Company?

I work at an Oil & Gas Company in Texas and we use many 1099 contractors to get jobs done (welding, casing, and other services. I have started a side Bookkeeping/Accounting Business with very...

asked Feb 25 '13 at 14:49
Blank
Rob
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
Need a service but I don't know much about it

As a decision maker in my startup I want to be better informed when contracting someone for a service, especially. Years ago I was led to believe anyone with a computer and good eye could easily...

asked Nov 8 '12 at 09:05
Blank
Robert Carr
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Taxes for Europeans working for USA llc- short term

I have an American based llc production company. I want to hire European artists for a short period (1 month for a show) . whats the best route for their taxes and mine? Would it be more...

asked Jul 16 '12 at 08:02
Blank
Richard
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
9.39K Views
Are there any reasons I can't issue options to foreign contractors?

My company is a U.S. C-Corp and we have recently created a stock option plan that allows for both ISO and NSO option grants. We have a foreign contractor located in China who does work for the...

asked Jun 1 '12 at 08:47
Blank
Tricia Yee
16 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Illegal Immigrant as Contractor

I run a small web development shop (only 3 guys currently), and I was wondering what the legal ramifications were of hiring someone in the US illegally. He told me he has no plans on becoming a...

asked Jun 2 '12 at 02:11
Blank
Jeremy Boyd
110 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.89K Views
How much equity should I give for contracted labor?

I am the sole founder of a bootstrapped startup (idea conceived by me, revenue model and business plan developed by me, and I filed a provisional process patent for the concept). I have incoporated...

asked May 3 '12 at 10:40
Blank
Ric Bray
13 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
Contractor paying subcontractor

If I have a contract with a client, and hire a subcontractor, then submit his/her hours to the client, receive the payment, and then pay that full amount to the subcontractor, do I need to pay...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 10:51
Blank
Kelton52
113 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Tax requirements for non-US contractors?

I work with contractors often, and of course go the W-9 + 1099 route with US-based folks. I'll be hiring a handful of part-time non-US contract developers soon (one in Brazil, one in Switzerland)....

asked Mar 15 '12 at 13:30
Blank
Bmoeskau
356 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
My webmaster created our website and is now charging me a licensing fee

My webmaster signed an agreement saying that all work done on the website is owned by our company. He now thinks that he is being payed unfairly and wants the website to be taken down. He says...

asked Feb 14 '12 at 11:11
Blank
Kyle Berkley
31 points