Copyright Questions

12 Votes
9 Answers
6.38K Views
Software Licensing/Copy Protection - DIY or Buy?

As an ISV/software publisher, would you produce your own licensing/copy protection solution, or would you buy into a professional solution? Which route would you choose and why?

asked Jun 8 '10 at 18:59
Blank
Clare
61 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.04K Views
Low cost way of filing a patent?

Is there an inexpensive way of filing a patent? We talked to a couple of lawyers and the cost to file a patent is hovering around the $20K range. Is that normal? It seemed absurd at first, until...

asked Jun 20 '14 at 14:42
Blank
Gary Russell
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.87K Views
When should I register / copyright my startup company / app?

I finished creating an app and am expecting a good amount of users after I start advertising it. I live in Canada but I have my green card and am eligible to live in the US at any time. I plan on...

asked Sep 25 '14 at 20:32
Blank
User34140
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.48K Views
What to do if a competitor copies your design?

We have a small B2B application and have poured a lot of energy and resources into designing a great user experience. Our closest competitor just "overhauled" their own UX and it's a blatant rip...

asked May 11 '14 at 18:25
Blank
Sheryl Garcia
2 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.15K Views
Do web-builders reserve rights to websites?

I've been pondering over this one for quite a while now, and after doing some research, nothing appeared to come up. So, my questions is, when you use a website builder like webs, weebly, or other...

asked Dec 4 '13 at 13:23
Blank
Dylan Katz
10 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.68K Views
Can I copy from a few different terms of service pages from competitors?

I'm working with little funds so hiring a lawyer isn't an option. I'm starting a website like gazelle.com, nextworth.com, etc. and I was wondering if I can just use their concepts and piece...

asked Oct 30 '13 at 15:10
Blank
Colton
26 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.75K Views
Collecting product pictures over internet, processing it and selling to eshops - legal?

Given that to be protected by copyright, a picture must be original/unique, I have read on the internet that the "product pictures" (of general use products like fridge, mobile phone etc.) are not...

asked Aug 29 '13 at 18:07
Blank
Data Smarter
1,274 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.57K Views
Who owns computer code derived from trade secrets?

We had a software engineer who joined our startup for two months. We only signed an NDA with him. The engineer was supposed to get equity but our negotiations broke down and we parted ways. During...

asked Sep 4 '13 at 23:36
Blank
Karl
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Can a company claim infringement if someone copied their organizational scheme?

For example, if an Amazon competitor had the exact same product categories, or if a Craigslist competitor had the exact same categories...I'm mostly talking about how you categorize what you're...

asked Aug 20 '13 at 16:08
Blank
Aerovistae
115 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.88K Views
A Project Completed At Home - My Employer Wants Rights To The System

I currently work within a call centre as a manager and I have a lot of admin work to complete. During my own time, at home, on my own PC I started developing a system/tool via Excel that would...

asked Aug 21 '13 at 21:50
Blank
Jim Cullinane
41 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
Is there any way to protect a gamification/human-computing application/service (like reCaptcha) from being copied?

I have an idea for a gamification/human-computing application/service which can be used to solve an AI-hard problem more efficiently, like reCaptcha. I can build and promote it, but I'm worried...

asked Jul 26 '13 at 22:06
Blank
User27171
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
5.88K Views
Copyright and Ownership of Code in a Tech Startup

I am currently involved in a Canadian tech startup, and as I am about to enter equity negotiations, I would like to clarify the ownership and copyright of the code base, to better understand the...

asked Jul 8 '13 at 08:55
Blank
Chris
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.95K Views
Developing a product/service as a result of requirements of existing employer

A is currently employed at company X which in turn is a vendor for company Z. A realized that certain aspects of running the business for Z which X is failing at can be productized/offered as a...

asked May 2 '13 at 00:32
Blank
Moonstar2001
186 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Licensing a compiler which outputs code of a pre-existing programming language

This is a cross-post from stackoverflow; I was told you guys might be more knowlegable in this area... I have an idea for a project which, ideally, I would like to eventually make money...

asked Apr 14 '13 at 14:52
Blank
Araisbec
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.82K Views
Are local music bands violating copyrights?

When local bands play songs made famous by recognizeable artists, does that violate copyrights on the lyrics, music or the recording artist's performance and recording? If so, why does it appear...

asked Apr 14 '13 at 21:25
Blank
Patrick Moloney
126 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Who owns the Intellectual Property, Copyright and Patents created by Technical Co Founder?

I will be joining a new start-up as a technical partner. Other two partners are business administration role. I will be the one who will program everything from scratch and build the new web based...

asked Mar 26 '13 at 20:14
Blank
Abhijit Navale
245 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
Who owns the programming in a disolving partnership?

I am a 50/50 owner in a small dissolving LLC. To this partnership I brought my software and through the course of several years continued to develop it. In the partnership agreement there is...

asked Mar 17 '13 at 01:16
Blank
User25503
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
Contract employee and IP in a not so related business

If I create an application for a client and I am employed as a contactor to the client by a contracting firm in a different capacity, who owns the copyright?

asked Feb 21 '13 at 02:32
Blank
Victor Clough
6 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.12K Views
Elance OutSourcing - Do i own copyright?

I am outsourcing a commercial project(software program) to elance. I was wondering if after the work is finished, I own the copyright to this work fully. This is very important since i want to make...

asked Feb 27 '13 at 15:23
Blank
Spyros P
132 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Where and how can I ask for permission of product images?

About four months ago I asked a question about using product images (posters/cover art for movies, games, music, tv-shows and books) on a website without asking for permission. Most of the answers...

asked Feb 28 '13 at 04:17
Blank
Oskar Persson
109 points