Copyright Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
Ownership of Code?

I recently contracted with a developer to build a mvp for the business. We were operating on an understanding that we would own the code upon completion of version 1.0. Now, their legal team has...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 02:22
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.57K Views
The usage of the word Apollo

I'm thinking of starting a small web design company and I want to use the word "Apollo" within it. Is this a word I have to ask permission to use from NASA or something? Especially if I call it...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 14:28
Blank
Michael Rader
118 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
Will naming my website like this be a case of copyright infrigment?

I want to create a website for a particular industry. There is a term that is used quite widely in the industry - for the sake of argument, lets say the expression is "great scott ". The term is...

asked Dec 4 '11 at 00:17
Blank
Morpheous
23 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
Creative solution for copyright infringement by UK university

This question is sort of a follow up to: Creating non-profit startup from open-source software project Selling using the honor system Basically, I'm selling software on the honor system for $5 to...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 00:34
Blank
Kekito
1,936 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.07K Views
App developed in company time has potential to be sold commercially. Need advise

Situation I work on the public sector and have developed a web app for internal use to handle a department's business process. The application has been a success according to its users. Some of...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 06:37
Blank
Viriato
144 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
3.55K Views
Our client wants ownership of the code + no competition clause, but we need to re-sell this program in order to make money. How do we compromise?

TL;DR: "A client contracts us to build the engine for Warcraft I, does client have right to stop us using the same engine for let's say.... Skyrim?" (No contracts have been signed YET) Actual...

asked Nov 29 '11 at 08:01
Blank
Peter Peng
31 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.63K Views
User Elected Image Copyrights

Environment: Our project allows teachers to create learning objects (activities, lessons, videos) that may incorporate uploaded images for the purpose of language learning. Our EULA states that...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 05:31
Blank
Laramie
192 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.79K Views
Partner not signing dissolution agreement

I had internal agreement with my partner for one the portal. My contribution was portal development while his contribution was sales and company formation. It's been 1.5 years and still he...

asked Nov 18 '11 at 01:24
Blank
Asif
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
How to approach new competitor to my copyrighted product?

I have an LLC and developed a copyrighted program that I sell online. I frequently enter in various terms online and see how I'm doing in the search results vs. my competitors. All of a sudden, I...

asked Nov 6 '11 at 07:56
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.72K Views
Publishing data from a race that I didn't organize or don't own

I'm planning a site where users can upload race results of races they either participated in or were the organizer/owner of. This is in a specific animal racing niche. There is one race in...

asked Oct 19 '11 at 04:32
Blank
Dustin Kendall
108 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
How do I protect my company name?

I have business I want to start online. I already have the domain name and very soon the logo. I want to offer this services to anyone online. So what is the best way to protect the name of my...

asked Oct 19 '11 at 05:16
Blank
Jean Nicolas Boulay Desjardins
162 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
How can I protect my self legally from illegal content from users on my website?

I am building a web app where users will be able to add content to it. Pictures, texte, video, etc. I was wandering what would happen if a user puts something illegal. Am I responsable? Or is...

asked Oct 19 '11 at 12:35
Blank
Jean Nicolas Boulay Desjardins
162 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.7K Views
Would this idea violate any law?

The idea is this : My website would just embed videos from various websites like youtube, metacafe, etc. I want to have users log in and comment or discuss on the videos I embed. The purpose is...

asked Oct 21 '11 at 10:03
Blank
Sunil
128 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.28K Views
Do I own my article if I was not compensated by publishers?

I have been writing for a long time and my work has been published across many websites. But one thing that remained common is that I was never compensated by any of these websites anytime. Now, do...

asked Oct 8 '11 at 03:33
Blank
Prashant Shrivastava
26 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.25K Views
How do I protect my idea before launching my web-service?

I have a unique idea about a web-service. How do I protect against duplicating my idea before launching? I'm afraid I'd end up rivaling against massive number of competitors like Groupon does...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 11:34
Blank
Moe Sweet
141 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Software copyright after dissolution

I was part of a joint venture that is in windup mode. The software was mostly a compilation of open source software. No patents filed or anything like that. However, the lawyer is selling assets...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 18:38
Blank
Rkm
16 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
3.87K Views
It is possible to startup a sucessful software company without being a programmer?

the idea is simple. How to execute, i don't know. I have an idea for a software. Very good and simple idea, and I think it's simple to execute too. This software can bring to life a new company. I...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 12:25
Blank
H 7
133 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Who is responsible for tracking copyright issues?

I have a brand new website for easy sharing of music. The files are intended to be copyright free (home recordings, podcasts etc). The system though could easily be used for music which does have...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 22:27
Blank
Max San
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Protecting yourself against copy right issues involving file sharing

I was wondering what are the ways that one can protect itself legally when it comes down to a system which allows file uploads and sharing, is it enough to write a "content policy"? Do I need to...

asked Sep 19 '11 at 16:02
Blank
Itai Sagi
337 points

-2 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Incorporating somebody else's project in my own

Let me take a general example to demonstrate my dilemma. Say I am making a web-based project (which I am). Now I want to use some code that is used some other place already. Say I want to...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 18:29
Blank
Kraken
133 points