Cost Questions

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Cost effectively sending SMS?

I'm working on a startup idea (have been for a few months, in fact). Part of this idea revolves around sending SMS reminders/alerts to my customers (fairly heavy usage). The startup is to be based...

asked Mar 18 '13 at 20:30
Blank
Anonymous
557 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
6.39K Views
How much does a SaaS customer support cost on average?

For subscription-based B2C SaaS businesses where the business is not charge for the support, but for the subscription. How much does on average customer/visitor support account to? In other words,...

asked Apr 27 '11 at 15:13
Blank
Simpatico
198 points

10 Votes
5 Answers
4.77K Views
How do you determine how much to raise for seed funding?

Foreward : Assume the beta release had been executed with lean a startup model and had generated impressive traction within a single city launch. In preparation for investment proposals for a web...

asked Aug 4 '11 at 15:47
Blank
Will Ko
268 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Should I take into account an investment in terms of software as a sunk cost?

One of my partners, in an online service startup, is going to put the software design as his investment and share on equity. The rest of us are putting in time and money. But now came up a...

asked Oct 4 '13 at 00:31
Blank
Christian Rojas Alves
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
Markup material cost on startup

I was in a debate recently with someone on how we should go about pricing out our material costs to clients and we couldn't decide on what is the proper way in going about doing this. Example:...

asked May 5 '13 at 12:34
Blank
Matt 2.0
188 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
How to determine the cost of acquiring participants/beta testers for market research?

I am working on a proposal which will include the cost of acquisition for market research participants. The participants in this case will using a chrome extension and reporting back on their...

asked Mar 9 '13 at 17:14
Blank
Eric G
106 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.53K Views
Small fee service and bookkeeping

I want to minimise startup costs so by reading many useful posts here I've came to a conclusion that bookkeeping and accountancy are the biggest cost if you are starting small. My service is going...

asked Mar 1 '13 at 20:19
Blank
Ivan Von Turkovich
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
What's the cost and paperwork of dissolving a Delaware corporation?

I have been working with my co-founder for the past year and recently we decided to part ways. However, about 2 months ago we incorporated our business in Delaware. Each of us is starting from...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 06:01
Blank
Rjgonzo
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
What are the costs of selling digital goods from a EU country to a non EU country?

I am looking to setup a small business selling digital products, that are downloadable and or online questionaires. I want to sell internationally and am a European business. I have a potential...

asked Oct 25 '12 at 21:18
Blank
Jaget
6 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
3.02K Views
Is 'free' a bad idea in business applications?

In the case of business SaaS, specifically in a market where this type of software is never free what are the arguments regarding launching your product for free? More specifically the idea would...

asked Oct 5 '12 at 15:48
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.52K Views
VC not needed? What am I missing from these costs?

My roommate and I are partners and only employees in a startup focused on a single web application (for now). We discussed VC, but based on the costs we thought of it seemed unnecessary. Here are...

asked Jan 20 '12 at 12:14
Blank
Mirov
384 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.23K Views
Ads cost for an iPad magazine

I'm working on the business plan of a daily iPad magazine project which revenues should mostly come from advertising. I've spent some serious time around (but still maybe not enough) trying to...

asked Jan 20 '12 at 17:54
Blank
Gillesguillemin
3 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.79K Views
How do fixed costs scale with headcount? Can I use a rule of thumb ratio, say salary x 1.5?

I've heard that start-ups often write proforma budgets using a rule of thumb for figuring fixed costs (rent, utilities, fringe benefits, etc.) in other words costs that scale with headcount. The...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 13:13
Blank
Bruce
21 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Credit card processor fees

What is a cost of using a credit card processor? How much does it cost to set up for a small startup (lets say, a small store or a restaurant), what are the fees of using the processor, and what...

asked Oct 16 '11 at 04:42
Blank
The Piachu
113 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.79K Views
How can I estimate the cost of moving one ton of earth one kilometer?

I am early in the process of making a radical invention of equipment for moving earth. At the moment I am having trouble estimating the cost of moving one ton of earth one kilometer in a setting...

asked May 21 '11 at 19:52
Blank
David
1,567 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.91K Views
How do I cost-estimate development?

I've developed a working prototype; interface and core functionality for a pretty complex system. (I need the prototype for capital-raising purposes and proof-of-concept.) I am NOT a professional...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 02:03
Blank
Anonymous
16 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
4.03K Views
How much money is needed to open a landing page?

I would like to know how much money is needed to open a landing page of a product or service. including domain registration, web design, hosting, adwords, etc.

asked Feb 10 '11 at 07:54
Blank
Appmaster
89 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.69K Views
Figuring out margin on fixed costs

I'm currently hashing out my price points for a hosting service that I plan on launching on Amazon AWS. The biggest line item in the budget is currently the machine time. I know that if I give a...

asked Feb 12 '11 at 07:07
Blank
James
139 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.4K Views
Cost & Requirements in setting up a Startup Incubator Center Like TechStars, FounderInstitute

I'm in the middle of starting a Tech Incubator Center like TechStars and Founders Institute here in Africa. I am a web developer and IT Business Analyst. Please i need your input on these...

asked Feb 20 '11 at 10:17
Blank
Stanley
59 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
4.14K Views
How can services like Dropbox be free for the first 2 gigs?

I know that Dropbox sits on top of S3. I want to provide a service that offers the first 2 gigs of storage free. How are services like Dropbox and Evernote able to pay their data storage bills...

asked Jan 13 '11 at 03:40
Blank
John Wright
123 points