Day Job Questions

-4 Votes
2 Answers
2.71K Views
Failed startup right after MBA. Is my career in jeopardy?

I completed my MBA in 2012 and then worked for 6 months as an analyst, but quit my job to work on a startup. I am not a technical person so I hired a company to develop the website and we ran...

asked Dec 4 '13 at 20:06
Blank
Kriti
6 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
BigCo vs Freelancing.. and then Startup

I'm in a bit of a pickle - I'm trying to build a startup, solo, to start - I'm burning the late night oil at nights and weekends. I currently have a well paying job in IT at a top 10 online...

asked Oct 9 '13 at 23:39
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
When did you know it was time to leave the 9-5?

Software dev myself - been working on startup idea for a four months now - I'm a solo founder ( until I can find the right person) - as previous partnerships were difficult to maintain My...

asked Aug 12 '13 at 22:33
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.2K Views
Taking a new job when close to 1st product launch

Startup background I'm close to launching my first micropreneur-esque SaaS app (within 2-3 weeks). I've been building this app on the side over the past year or so while working my day job. Day...

asked May 5 '12 at 01:59
Blank
Sarumont
111 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
quit your day job while building your awesome concept before funding?

I was thinking it all right to work on my great concept during my free hours and weekend left from my day job. however, lately, I feel I cannot use this free time effectively due to job stress and...

asked Feb 16 '12 at 20:46
Blank
Ned
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Intellectual Property and Day Jobs

I run a small tech company providing custom web development (in Ontario, Canada), and I have a few clients. However, as I am still a student in university, I have co-op positions that I take every...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 08:50
Blank
Super Tron
108 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.36K Views
Is a startup a full-time job?

For the last 5 years I was in a PhD program and I'm currently in the writing phase of my thesis. In addition I work on my startup, for the last 4-5 months. However, due to limited time, the startup...

asked Jul 25 '11 at 21:22
Blank
Dyn Zack
216 points

20 Votes
12 Answers
8.52K Views
How do I get a job back after a failed startup?

About 1 year ago, I quit my job to work on my startup. It required a lot of hard work and consumed countless nights. My wife was very involved in this decision. The target was to participate in a...

asked Jul 14 '11 at 20:01
Blank
Leadgy
222 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.02K Views
Should I suspend my startup?

I was working for a large financial firms as Senior Technical Architect, spending almost 15 hours a day. I quit my job around 18 months back to start this startup and taking an underpaid/under...

asked Jul 7 '11 at 18:17
Blank
User11074
39 points

6 Votes
12 Answers
3.61K Views
Saying goodbye to a job or career that you do not like to start a new business

What are your top three reasons for not leaving a job or career path that you absolutely hate to start your own small business?

asked Dec 20 '09 at 05:03
Blank
Tommy Jaye
231 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.99K Views
Do you discuss your startup with your current employer?

You are working on your startup, but you still have a fulltime job. How do you tactfully discuss your startup with your employer? Or do you even discuss it? Will this open a can of worms -...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 06:14
Blank
Mathaix
510 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.06K Views
Anyone get closer to success after working on their startup part-time?

Many suggest to work on your prototype part-time and quit after getting some users. I found that it is hard to build a quality product on a part-time basis because of distractions. I have tried a...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 23:07
Blank
Web Thinker
430 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
3.03K Views
When to say no to a job offer?

What if you were finishing your degree and you got an offer from a big company, such as McKinsey. What would you do? Would you say no thanks and work 100% on your idea, or work part-time on your...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 06:36
Blank
Tiago
333 points