Development Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.83K Views
Got a steady flow of Subscribers. Now how do I keep the ball rolling?

I've pre-launched my start-up two days ago. After being featured on a few sites, we now have a good influx of subscribers. Now I know an inevitable slow down subscribers will happen if I don't act...

asked Feb 8 '12 at 09:39
Blank
User744319
94 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Public transit app: possible revenues and IP issues?

I am looking at developing a website sort of like ones that NY-area commuter railroads have, showing train departure times and tracks. One major transit hub near me has no central location for this...

asked Jan 30 '12 at 10:19
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
tech startup - code licensing and copyright

Me and my developers are developing the code for a tech startup that I have an equity with. I'm giving the code to the startup for the startup purpose use. However, since I'm the developer, I would...

asked Jan 18 '12 at 11:49
Blank
Kathy
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Mobile Web development environment; build or buy?

I already publish apps for the major platforms but our mobile development has lagged behind. I have my developers working on enhancements to our mobile site functionality, but I'm not sure whether...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 02:51
Blank
Nicko
840 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.25K Views
Is it possible to find an iPhone App Developer that is willing to work for a portion of the potential revenue?

I own a small software development company that gets approached many times a day with the concept of being a partner in someone’s iPhone App idea. We provide the iPhone App Development services and...

asked Jan 1 '12 at 05:25
Blank
Brett Miller
66 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
What type of developers to hire for outsourced development?

I'm trying to build a minimum viable product SaaS website as a proof of concept, and wanted to know what type of developers I should be looking for if using an outsourcing website like odesk /...

asked Jan 7 '12 at 07:21
Blank
Kenny
3 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.61K Views
Obfuscate or not reason?

I just wondering what is the reason for some companies to not obfuscate their product that written in Java/.NET ? I've worked with expensive enterprise software, and I helped since the software...

asked Dec 23 '11 at 14:30
Blank
Jazar
123 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.41K Views
Do I need a tech co founder at this point?

Here's my situation. A year ago I outsourced a website to be built. Went into it blindly, failed miserably, lost tons of money. Moved on. In the meantime, I've come up with a new concept for a...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 02:41
Blank
Adam
26 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Should I really worry about the UI of my iPhone app?

My iPhone app is in the final polish stage. I have been designing it using pretty much standard iPhone UI elements. Now as this will hit the crowd soon, by looking at other apps in the store, I am...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 05:00
Blank
Tom
197 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.69K Views
Where to post job for early stage startup

We are bootstrapping and offering equity. We're seeking a front end developer. We posted on startuply.com but are looking for other places. We used one location on craigslist. Anywhere else we...

asked Dec 18 '11 at 04:29
Blank
John Deer
11 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.17K Views
How to build a successful web application?

I'm still in highschool, but I'm fairly well versed in programming. I've taken a variety of courses at my school, and I've also read a number of books, as of recent, I've been focusing on web...

asked Nov 25 '11 at 20:44
Blank
Bob
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
I would like to build a new web service application, where to start

The main point is that I am a programmer and I am willing to work hard at least 20 hours per week to build a web service application that can be valuable to other people. I don't have an idea about...

asked Dec 1 '11 at 05:56
Blank
Baraban
9 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
which technology or strategy a new / inexperienced freelancer should use to earn profit?

Actually I m fresh recent grad who has just started his freelancing work. In due course i have got a project to develop website for a middle scale business (travel agent). As I don't trust on my...

asked Nov 20 '11 at 05:53
Blank
W3softdev
9 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Build an appliance

We develop a bunch of software applications. Instead of shipping the software we want to build an appliance, using generic hardware components (and Linux) and sell the appliance in the USA and...

asked Nov 1 '11 at 18:35
Blank
So Mv
121 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Are There Any Internet-based Regular Startup Hackathons?

Like most of you, I have some good start-up ideas I feel are both good and easily realizable. Of course, I have plenty of 'real' work to do for more mature projects, so I have difficulty convincing...

asked Nov 3 '11 at 16:59
Blank
Hss
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.66K Views
Wifi Tablet built to Spec

I have seen a lot of information on the internet about low-cost wifi tablets from India. I have spoken to a reputable tech company in the states about ordering them and they quoted a price of $37...

asked Oct 20 '11 at 11:48
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

16 Votes
7 Answers
4.15K Views
Dealing with a Slow Developer

We outsourced development (out of the country) to get a prototype of our site put together. The developer estimated 8 weeks for the project, but admitted that they could not guarantee that it might...

asked Oct 21 '11 at 20:17
Blank
D Moore
174 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
Pair of engineers with code, should we walk away from founder? How much should we ask for ($$)?

TL;DR: Worked a year+ on code we still own, founder refuses to raise capital (wants to bootstrap) and is now low-balling us, we're willing to walk away--what would you do? Long version (detailed...

asked Oct 5 '11 at 19:35
Blank
How To Use Our Leverage
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
Should we use wordpress for first iteration or build it from scratch?

We are working on a collaboration platform for artists. I managed to put most of the first alpha together myself with wordpress and some other open source elements and additional code, but I'm not...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 01:32
Blank
Mihaly Borbely
715 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.62K Views
Make versus Buy, Time versus Money

Specifically for web/software, how do you know whether it is better to invest time developing the product alone or in a small team versus shelling out hard earned money to get it developed quickly...

asked Sep 24 '11 at 17:19
Blank
Hagope
106 points