Development Questions

4 Votes
6 Answers
2.4K Views
A question on startup strategy - this is a real world scenario we are facing, not a hypothetical

This is an actual problem we have to decide on with our startup. Help me decide! SCENARIO You are doing a startup. You have launched, you have customers, revenue and some traction. You are growing...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 19:48
Blank
Scott Handsaker
21 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
3.37K Views
I'm naive, technically savy, but I can't write a line of code so I just hired a coder to build me a web application

I'm naive, technically savy, but I can't write a line of code so I just hired a coder to build me a web application.... anyways, I have a few questions about what happens next?! I have this great...

asked Oct 23 '10 at 08:12
Blank
Alex
40 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.53K Views
Where can I find a developer who would be interested in a partnership rather than up-front payment for work?

I have a site that I'd like to build in PHP/MySQL and preferably using CodeIgniter, but I don't have the time that I need to devote to building the site. I'd like to find a developer who is willing...

asked Oct 24 '10 at 01:58
Blank
Jack
24 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.13K Views
What are reasonable ranges for cash and/or equity to have developer create MVP?

I'm roughly following lean startup methodology, having started with an idea, making mockups, showing to several potential customers, and even running a couple of crude pilots. Positive signals so...

asked Oct 25 '10 at 09:02
Blank
User4979
16 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.72K Views
An idea to implement R&D in a software services startup

I have seen that working in a fledgling software services firm as a programmer entails a lot (in fact, all) of the time being spent working on meeting client specs and requirements on their...

asked Oct 21 '10 at 03:54
Blank
Fenderplayer
21 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Software development team troubleshooter/auditor. What do you think?

I have an idea for a business and would like some feedback. The other day I was thinking about software development teams and how they function, the things they do right and the things they do...

asked Sep 2 '10 at 12:12
Blank
Smart Company Software
1,190 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
Outsourcing "product development" for Tech startups

what are the most crucial steps to be taken by a new tech startup when outsourcing major part of the tech to IT firms or outsourcing "product development" eg new social media website project?

asked Sep 8 '10 at 02:25
Blank
Francis Eager
38 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.39K Views
need help determining idea's worth

My friend and I are currently developing an iPhone app, it's very challenging and we may have to outsource the development of some core features, which is going to cost a lot. the problem is that...

asked Sep 9 '10 at 03:21
Blank
Raed
101 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.02K Views
What should I do about a delayed development project?

I hired a company to build a web project for me. Unfortunately, I didn't specify project completion date and milestones. I was told the project will be complete in 3-4 months and I believed the...

asked Sep 24 '10 at 02:41
Blank
Pennyfiller13
86 points

8 Votes
8 Answers
3.5K Views
Make my failed Web application open source?

I've outsourced the creation of Web Spy Pro (www.webspypro.com) last year. It's a Webanalytics software that record/play the visitor mouse movements, so you can see exactly what visitors are doing...

asked Jul 15 '10 at 05:10
Blank
Dennis
176 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.6K Views
What to do next for my online startup?

Ok so I've left my job, I've got a business plan, I have a blue ocean idea, I've spoken to a few industry people about the idea and they think its a good idea. I have a designed and paid a...

asked Aug 8 '10 at 23:57
Blank
Jdeleon
70 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
5.73K Views
How should a developer determine their stake in an early startup?

I am a developer that has been asked to take part in an early stage startup (no investors yet other than the principals themselves). There is some code in place for the product and I would be...

asked Aug 18 '10 at 12:52
Blank
Garbage In Garbage Out
123 points

4 Votes
9 Answers
2.9K Views
How much time should we spend on the technical documentation/design?

So I'm in a little bit of a tug of war with some other cofounders on our project. We've just started out after spending alot of time on the BP and that side of things. The other...

asked Jul 9 '10 at 21:20
Blank
Wil
273 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.54K Views
Do you use a service for ensuring email deliverability (like Sendgrid, Postmark, etc.)? Why or why not? If so, what service?

Using an external service for delivering your emails can take a lot of load off your shoulders if deliverability is a must. Services like Sendgrid and Postmark have pre-configured, whitelisted...

asked May 16 '10 at 05:47
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

4 Votes
12 Answers
4.56K Views
Would you hire offshore developers?

What's your opinion? Should US-based startup hire offshore web developers to reduce costs? Is it worth it? How would you find them? How much would you pay them per hour of work?

asked May 28 '10 at 04:14
Blank
Pawel A
191 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.83K Views
I'm not a geek but I want to start an online business

I have no web-building background but I genuinely believe in an online business. I wish to build an online directory and I have little budget as of now. So should I: Go get educated Rope in an...

asked Jun 3 '10 at 01:38
Blank
Elisha
64 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
Questions for outsourced projects

I would like to get the following information related to outsourced project. What are the best practices to follow for the payment plan/structure when you are working with outsourced development...

asked Jun 9 '10 at 03:12
Blank
User2202
164 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.53K Views
Checklist for starting a website

I have an idea for a startup and for it: I've created mockups of the site and work flow diagrams. I've registered the domain name and incorporated the company. Actively looking for the...

asked Apr 22 '10 at 06:56
Blank
Syed
445 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.18K Views
Delegating software development work to freelancers

My partner and I are the only members of our startup consulting company. We are at the point where we fully realize the need to delegate work in order to grow. We want to practice our people and...

asked May 2 '10 at 12:33
Blank
Startup Struggler
77 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.47K Views
Invester Gets Equity for Money to Pay Developer for MVP VS. Developer gets Equity for MVP

We started our business back in July 2009 with the intentions of building websites, consulting, internet marketing, etc. Now we have changed our focus to developing a SaaS solution for a...

asked May 9 '10 at 01:09
Blank
Csumme
146 points