Development Questions

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.66K Views
How do you build a customer base before you have a product?

How can you build a customer base for your product when all you have is an idea (promise of value)? I'm thinking about getting my product idea to a couple of forums to engage people in it's design...

asked May 11 '10 at 01:24
Blank
Raed
101 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.58K Views
What qualification and/or skills should I look for while hiring a web designer?

I am about to launch a website, which I got created through a freelancer. However, I am not very pleased with freelancer's performance and plan to hire someone full-time to make required iterations...

asked Apr 2 '10 at 03:32
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
Startup Development Funding Path

I'm looking to do a internet based startup with a friend. It is heavily focused on the site development and although I haven't really made proper cost calculations yet, I'm guessing the initial...

asked Apr 15 '10 at 10:16
Blank
Danny
6 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.94K Views
Should a non-techie professional start a website without a techie partner?

I am a non-IT/techie professional and have created a website through a web designing firm. Although, I have learned about various aspects of designing and running a website through reading, I am no...

asked Mar 19 '10 at 01:18
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.38K Views
How do you discourage piracy of your software or IP?

We're reviewing/exploring anti-piracy measures for a new software product. There is a desktop and a web component. What tactics are you using to prevent/discourage piracy of your software and IP?

asked Feb 19 '10 at 08:08
Blank
Keith De Long
5,091 points

5 Votes
11 Answers
6.29K Views
Outsource basic webdev maintenance? (eLance vs oDesk vs Guru vs RentACoder)

I am considering outsourcing some basic webdev maintenance work. Little tasks like: "Please add clock or other wait indicator when the AJAX is still processing." that should take less than an hour...

asked Feb 24 '10 at 08:54
Blank
Joseph Turian
895 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Best way to get a developer working for you?

I would like to know what is the best way to hire someone to help you building a web-site. I heard about guru.com and elance but I am not convinced that I can get someone from there who can help me...

asked Feb 25 '10 at 06:54
Blank
Gyurisc
143 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.38K Views
What software or development tools do you use to create and maintain your website?

I'm looking for more great software tools (than the ones listed below that I already use) to not only create and run a website, but to verify and maintain it. All our websites run on Unix servers...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 15:42
Blank
Gary E
12,510 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.95K Views
What kind of timelines have you experienced delivering software

Was curious to hear about other peoples experiences regarding getting software to a point where its ready for a paying customer. My personal experience regardless of the venture or technology...

asked Feb 3 '10 at 09:40
Blank
Doug G
446 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
What are the most important features to include when building Content Management System?

I'm building a new social platform. I understand that is very important to include a Content Management System as part of the development. Can you describe specific features you would develop...

asked Feb 3 '10 at 19:01
Blank
Pennyfiller13
86 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.65K Views
Does it hurt to release often?

I'm a big believer of "release early, release often" but what's the limit? Our software Traditional - Desktop software We are new but already got many clients Updates requires about 15-30...

asked Feb 5 '10 at 06:57
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.81K Views
What's a great business development / licensing pitch outline?

So you are about to start contacting companies about licensing your product/technology. What would be the general elements of the presentation deck? I know what I've done in the past but am...

asked Feb 9 '10 at 07:03
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.67K Views
Looking for Guidance in running business development arm of a startup

I'm looking to join a very small company (5 employees) and run all of business development/sales and marketing. My professional experience lies in 8 years of Sales in the online media and...

asked Feb 18 '10 at 10:35
Blank
Danny
113 points

9 Votes
10 Answers
5.93K Views
Build in-house or outsource?

I'm working with a SaaS business with a non-technical founder/CEO and am looking for pros and cons for (1) building the software in-house vs (2) outsourcing version 1.0 to a consulting firm. From...

asked Jan 8 '10 at 07:39
Blank
Torrie
230 points

16 Votes
11 Answers
5.99K Views
How to reject Feature Requests?

How do you reject feature requests nicely especially when the feature request is made publicly via twitter, uservoice or something like ideastorm? For us general reasons to reject are: It's...

asked Dec 26 '09 at 03:12
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

3 Votes
9 Answers
2.8K Views
Would you create unit tests for your application?

I don't know about you, while I agree that unit testing can reduce defects and therefore can maximize ROI in the long run, but it just takes an amount of time. Knowing that you're a startup where...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 22:19
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.4K Views
How should I structure my development environment from a high-level?

So I guess the follow-on question for this will be to jump into some of the specifics, but I have never worked on a software development team in a professional capacity and am building a web...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 14:38
Blank
Marcamillion
153 points