Domain Questions

0 Votes
2 Answers
7.07K Views
EU domain to start a business. Good idea?

This is my first question here, I am going to start a business, but as you know it's not easy to find a good domain .com (if you don't want pay hundreds or thousands $). I have found a good domain,...

asked Jan 8 '12 at 01:30
Blank
Alessandro Ds
103 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.97K Views
Is my new name going to be trademarkable?

Ok, I think I'm going to give up my company name (see here: Trademark infringement - does it really sounds that bad? ) Given my situation I need to make sure: Nobody will go after me again (it...

asked Dec 14 '11 at 07:05
Blank
Katit
276 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Copyright or trademark infringement - similar app name

This is similar to another question on here, but my concern is slightly different. I've been developing a web app for the past 2 years and registered the domain name for it about a year ago. Other...

asked Dec 14 '11 at 21:43
Blank
Shaun Budhram
106 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.23K Views
Domains and trademark issues

When my company first got setup and registered domains, we were unable to get the .com of our company name, as it was already registered. We have all of the other top level domains for our name...

asked Dec 17 '11 at 03:31
Blank
Bwasson
1,162 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.9K Views
global commercial website with a domain other than .com - can it ever succeed?

I'm considering launching a fairly niche website that has the potential developing into major commercial venture. But all the possible .com domains are already taken. I'm not exaggerating -...

asked Dec 2 '11 at 02:46
Blank
User9982
206 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
Will naming my website like this be a case of copyright infrigment?

I want to create a website for a particular industry. There is a term that is used quite widely in the industry - for the sake of argument, lets say the expression is "great scott ". The term is...

asked Dec 4 '11 at 00:17
Blank
Morpheous
23 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.81K Views
Where to buy a reliable .ly domain

Nowadays, it seems a lot of startups use the .ly domain. Is there any suggested registar to buy a .ly domain, that is secure? I heard so many stories about guys that have lost their .ly domain...

asked Dec 7 '11 at 16:12
Blank
Yoga
116 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
Is a domain extension like .ch helpful for B2B startup or a gimmick?

My planned company name ends with "ch", - let's say it's "Velocity Reasearch". velocityreseach.com and velocityresear.ch are both available. Is using a TLD like .ch in this way considered a gimmick...

asked Nov 26 '11 at 20:11
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.11K Views
Can I register a domain that includes a registered trademark, such as "firefox-debugger.com"?

I'm planning to build an addon for a platform, can I register a domain name with that platform's name in it? i.e. iphone-flashlight.com firefox-debugger.com search-onstartups.com What do you...

asked Nov 27 '11 at 01:11
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
Are .jobs domains frowned upon or okay for a start-up?

We are looking at creating a job board and wanted to use a .jobs domain name? Good idea or do we stick with .com ? The domain is very short and simple and describes the job board perfect.

asked Nov 30 '11 at 04:28
Blank
Tim Brown
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.33K Views
How to get domain name?

All nice names are already taken. I want to know that if a domain already exists but I attach some character in the beginning/end of the already registered domain name and get registered, is it...

asked Oct 28 '11 at 18:51
Blank
Naveed
108 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
9.35K Views
.info or .me for personal resume (CV)?

My question may be really simple, yet I can not find the answer. What is your opinion about the most appropriate top-level domain for a personal resume that the address will be printed in a...

asked Oct 29 '11 at 09:48
Blank
Nikolai
125 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.77K Views
Domain name and trademark

I've recently registered a domain name, but was contacted by a big-name toy company recently, saying my domain name infringed on their trademark. The domain name does contain a toy's name (within...

asked Oct 14 '11 at 04:43
Blank
Locuz
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Why can't I find mid-priced .com domain names?

Either they are $7(register fee) or over $1000? My startup uses a popular keyword so decent .com's are hard to find. Any ideas?

asked Sep 29 '11 at 08:51
Blank
Jeff
1 point

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.08K Views
Top level domains and costs of registering them?

Top level domains are going to cost a lot to register so for instance www.drink.coke could be around $100,000+. However, once .coke has been registered, would it be cheaper to then register let's...

asked Sep 24 '11 at 13:50
Blank
Nextgenneo
327 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
What do you need in order to be a real .org?

I was wondering what characteristics a venture needs to have in order to be a real .org? Also, since I never ran a .org before, what are some of the implications/pitfalls that come with that kind...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 09:34
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.64K Views
Domain squatting Business illegal?

I was thinking about this, is domain squatting illegal ? I've initially thought that it was illegal, and there are people quoting various laws and stuff that says it's illegal, but after looking...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 20:39
Blank
Pacerier
317 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.78K Views
How to get the owner of a registered domain name when there is no website

I would like to register a .com domain but it appears it is already taken. However, there is no webpage at all. I get this:...

asked Sep 18 '11 at 00:48
Blank
Ryan
147 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
3.37K Views
Are there sites to help come up with new domain names?

It's getting a little difficult to come up with a domain name for a new idea I have. Most of the good names are either taken or parked. Is there a site I can use to get ideas for my domain names...

asked Sep 6 '11 at 01:37
Blank
User3462
345 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.92K Views
Is it a good idea to have 24x7 in a domain name?

Is it advisable to opt for a word 24x7 within the domain name that will make it 12 characters? Does it effect the marketablity of the domain name?

asked Aug 21 '11 at 01:09
Blank
R.Alam
9 points