Domain Questions

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.18K Views
what are the downsides to a nonsensical domain name?

I'm considering starting up a website that I could eventually turn into a business. The domain name that seems most obvious is, naturally, taken. I'm considering going with a non-obvious domain...

asked Aug 14 '11 at 00:25
Blank
Jcollum
111 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
Registering names in Asia and China

We received an email out of the blue a few weeks ago that noted another company is trying to register domain names in China with our same domain name. Is domain name registration in China the same...

asked Aug 3 '11 at 12:55
Blank
Neo
24 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.68K Views
If the USPTO website has a trademark as "Dead," can I register it?

I plan to get a trademark registered and I was searching the USPTO website to see if it already taken or not. I figured out the Live/Dead Indicator is "Dead". Does that mean I can get this...

asked Aug 4 '11 at 06:23
Blank
Umair Ashraf
135 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.49K Views
Domain Policy Strategy?

What is the best course of action in dealing with Domain Policies? For instance, if my company develops open source software at www.bestsoft.com, should my Domain Policy allow the creation of...

asked Aug 8 '11 at 18:10
Blank
Zima Filippov
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Are .st domains reliable for web startups?

Possible Duplicate: what's more important - .com or name? Are .st domains reliable for web startups? Is there any known issue with them?

asked Jul 29 '11 at 05:34
Blank
John S
184 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Domain / Trademark

I own a phrase, which I have trademarked, and it is registered, and also copyrighted. I'm currently getting a website (somewhat finished). I have some domain names, but the exact one I want,...

asked Jul 20 '11 at 14:44
Blank
Hero
11 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
11.3K Views
Creative software company name suffix

A lot of technology companies, especially non-consumer facing, have a multi-part name. The first part can be almost anything... The last word, or suffix, is a more formulaic noun, common choices...

asked Jun 11 '11 at 03:00
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Domain Name/Branding Question

Note: the following is not my sites name or subject matter it just being used as an equivalent example. Consider that ExampleArchive.tld is registered but nothing is even parked there. The contact...

asked May 20 '11 at 01:31
Blank
Jfeust
103 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.06K Views
Should I make my domain name private?

Should my domain be under my personal name, my business name, or completely kept private from whois.net? I'm not even 100% sure it can be listed under a company name, but I will have to look into...

asked May 25 '11 at 10:05
Blank
Sk24iam
344 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.43K Views
Copyright or trademark infringement on web site name

I'm about to place a site I've built live and looking at registering a domain name. Is there anything I need to worry about in picking a name? If my domain name is a misspelling of another domain...

asked May 4 '11 at 13:08
Blank
Xiaohouzi79
1,257 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.37K Views
Register domain in your name?

Do you generally register your website domain name under your first and last name or under your business name? What is the best way to do this?

asked May 5 '11 at 09:36
Blank
Sk24iam
344 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.73K Views
Reliability of .me TLD

I would like to start a website with the .me TLD and this domain name should be the brand name as well. But as all .yu domains have been deleted, I'm a bit cautious. Is it safe to register a .me...

asked May 6 '11 at 06:06
Blank
Marco W.
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
Question about a Food Brand

I have a friend who makes very good banana bread. She tried to sell it on the street and got sold out of a huge batch within a very short time. She wants to stay local within her city, but isn't...

asked Apr 21 '11 at 08:14
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
Role of fictitious names as they relate to products & domains for a business entity

I own an LLC-based out of California in the bay area. While I own the basic domain for my company, I intend to launch my entity's first project using a different domain/name. That is, it's still...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 04:05
Blank
Stranded Panda
8 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.74K Views
Branding vs. domain name availability... and the consequences to creative solutions?

With the introduction of more versatile domain names, people have been utilizing subdomains and clever suffixes to create more unique domains (ie. del.icio.us.) I've also come across others that...

asked Mar 27 '11 at 10:40
Blank
Julian Lloyd
126 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Using the word "should" in domain name

I'm deciding on a domain name and I like one, however it has the word "should" in it. Do you know of any reason that would be a problem ? Like people not being able to spell it or any such ?...

asked Mar 30 '11 at 06:35
Blank
Planet Unknown
105 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.34K Views
Will people still use my app if I have an alternative spelling for my domain name?

abcTech.com is already taken and I'm thinking about registering abcTek.com. Sites like de.lic.io.us (I don't even know where to put the dots) still succeeded despite their horrible names (or maybe...

asked Mar 10 '11 at 00:44
Blank
Foxatlarge
11 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
3.76K Views
Domain name problem

I am searching for domain name over a week. But all options i have tried bought someone else. And those domain names are not active. They parked somewhere. I am almost out of options. In that case...

asked Mar 10 '11 at 20:09
Blank
Erkan Balaban
160 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.98K Views
Which will be the popular domain name in the future .co .me or .org?

Getting a .com is getting more and more impossible these days. I really think another domain extension name will take over. If that was the case, which domain name extension you think will become...

asked Mar 11 '11 at 02:46
Blank
Alexchenco
134 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.27K Views
Unwanted Domain Names

What is the best thing to do with an unwanted domain name? I bought playlistdesigner.co.uk about 2 years ago with the idea of making a website. Nowadays i just havent got the time to give it my...

asked Mar 13 '11 at 05:57
Blank
Benhowdle89
133 points