Domain Questions

15 Votes
8 Answers
18.9K Views
How long is too long for a website domain name?

How long is too long for a website domain name? 3 words? 4 words? Also, how does the prefix "the" affect the domain. Sorry for such a stereotypical example but from what I have been told,...

asked Feb 23 '11 at 12:59
Blank
User6528
149 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
12.9K Views
Should I bother registering .NET/.ORG/.BIZ/.INFO domains along with .COM?

I own a small software company, which has it's website on a .COM-domain ( jitbit.com ) Should I register .ORG/.NET/.BIZ/.INFO as well? "jitbit.net/jitbit.biz/jitbit.info/jitbit.org" or it's just a...

asked Feb 24 '11 at 01:55
Blank
Jitbit
267 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
4.08K Views
How do you come up with a decent .com domain name?

It seems every common word or short sequence is owned or parked. Does anyone have any advice for the best way to come up with a decent .com domain name? We are going to launch an HTML5, cloud...

asked Feb 28 '11 at 23:57
Blank
Olib
26 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.02K Views
Trademark domain infringement

I am developing a tool but It's really difficult to get a name. I'm wondering if I can use a domain like xptoapp.com without infringement the trademark "xpto" if it exists. How does this work? I...

asked Mar 3 '11 at 00:37
Blank
Tiago
333 points

5 Votes
8 Answers
2.78K Views
What could go wrong if I put my site on a Somalia (.so) domain?

I'm starting to work on a new project and I'm going to name it with a word that ends with so. The idea of registering a Somalia top-level domain (.so ) for the project really excites me, and the...

asked Feb 16 '11 at 06:19
Blank
Achairapart
129 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
2.99K Views
budget: spend on domain or on adwords?

Assume that we've got a 10.000 (usd or euros) budget. Which of the following 3 options is better for launching? 1) Spend all of it on a great domain (e.g mymobile.com) 2) Spend 20 on a mediocre...

asked Feb 1 '11 at 04:54
Blank
Cherouvim
219 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.09K Views
Registrars - Recommendations

Any recommendations on website registrars? I've used NameZero and Register.com in the past but my domains are just parked. Going to be looking for another domain name soon and wondered if there are...

asked Feb 2 '11 at 13:12
Blank
Steve D
318 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.66K Views
Should startups acquire their two-letter abbreviated domain names early?

In light of facebook's acquisition of fb.com from the American Farm Bureau Federation for $8.5 Million (http://mashable.com/2011/01/12/facebook-paid-8-5-million-to-acquire-fb-com/), do you think...

asked Jan 15 '11 at 20:09
Blank
Henry The Hengineer
4,316 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.96K Views
I need to change the name of my blog... can you help with suggestions?

I created the blog Austin Tech Geeks in August of last year. It's been somewhat successful as I have been able to get a decent number of subscribers and uniques every month. The blog is about tech...

asked Jan 17 '11 at 04:26
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
I have received an offer for my domain. what should I do?

I have received a great offer for the domain name techhotbed.com and techhotbed.net (all of which I own under a company name). A very powerful blog building company approaches me last week and made...

asked Jan 19 '11 at 05:54
Blank
Donald
136 points

13 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
Domain names availability

Now days its becoming increasingly difficult to get a decent domain name for company and products. Few are up for sale, but with high price tags. Any ideas for coming up with good domain names...

asked Jan 21 '11 at 14:34
Blank
Patelsan
76 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.9K Views
.CO domain names

What's your opinion about the .CO domain names? If .COM/.NET domain names are not available, does it makes sense to go with .CO?

asked Jan 21 '11 at 14:59
Blank
Patelsan
76 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.99K Views
DNS Hosting Services (+API) - For Hundreds of Domains?

This is a follow up question to DNS Hosting Services - hopefully it's okay that I post like this. I'm running a business app where users move their site to our platform, and looking for a better...

asked Jan 5 '11 at 14:42
Blank
Alex Cook
641 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
How To Organize Information For Multiple Personal Businesses

I want to start multiple businesses. For these businesses I would like to have a separate checking account, telephone number, mailing address. What do you suggest to make this as simple as...

asked Jan 6 '11 at 14:32
Blank
Steve
56 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.91K Views
how to deal with a slanderous website that is using a trademarked domain name

A friend of mine accidentally let the .com domain of their US business expire, and it was snatched up by an unknown person who has a personal grudge against them. The website is now full of...

asked Jan 9 '11 at 19:30
Blank
Dustin Boswell
153 points

15 Votes
3 Answers
16.7K Views
What's with startups using .io domains?

I'm looking for a domain name and I've seen there are some new services launching with .io domain, is this suppose to mean something or there just choose it because it's short

asked Dec 26 '10 at 08:44
Blank
Ryudice
204 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
6.98K Views
Can I purchase a domain name now or wait until incorporated?

I've just begun the process of incorporation but would like to secure a domain name. How does this work? Do I need to purchase the domain name underneath the incorporation? Or can I purchase now...

asked Dec 8 '10 at 03:56
Blank
Ryan
162 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.7K Views
How does trademark relate to acquiring domain names?

Say I'm able to trademark the word "widgetville" for an online game that I'm building. But the domain "widgetville.com" (and pretty much every major TLD of the word) are all registered, but just...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 16:11
Blank
Shpigford
146 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
Has anyone used any of the sites that find a name for you and had success?

From what I have read on here it seems that there are mixed reviews on whether or not to use keywords in your name, such as software or games, since a Google search on your name with a popular...

asked Dec 11 '10 at 16:46
Blank
Captain Phil
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.92K Views
How important do you think the domain of a web/mobile game is?

Say you have a game (we'll call it Widgetville) that is web based and will also be extended to mobile devices. But "widgetville.com" is taken. So your main domain would be something like...

asked Dec 14 '10 at 14:51
Blank
Shpigford
146 points