Ecommerce Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
ecommerce and pci pa-dss, is it legal to sell/distribute with out it? many o/s carts are not certified

There are many open source shopping carts that don't have any PCI compliance certification. Is it legal to sell/distribute ecommerce related software that isn't compliant? It makes no sense,...

asked Oct 14 '10 at 23:43
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
Is there a service like chargify that will do recurring billing, but allows variable monthly charges?

This is a hypothetical question, but say I run an email hosting service and I want to charge my customer a fee per month for each email account that he has set up. Let's say that the email accounts...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 09:27
Blank
Jack
24 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
3.22K Views
Using Paypal for accepting online payments

Reading posts on this site I came accross the strong advice for any serious business to stay away from Paypal as an instrument for accepting online payments. On the other hand lots and lots of...

asked Sep 24 '10 at 22:47
Blank
Rem
352 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.08K Views
Legal restrictions and tax regulations in global ecommerce

Currently, with all the power the Internet provides, it's relatively easy to start online business. There are no obvious restrictions on the process. A business from almost any location can sell...

asked Sep 25 '10 at 18:32
Blank
Rem
352 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.04K Views
Web Application Technology

My startup idea involves a web application that has the following requirements: will need to charge my customers securely using someone else's service must scale easily must be cheap to...

asked Sep 27 '10 at 05:43
Blank
Jeff
103 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.85K Views
Do you FreshBooks?

Part of my startup is client work, and one client suggested using FreshBooks to handle the billing. Any opinions on this service? Is it worth it for the premium app?

asked Oct 4 '10 at 13:13
Blank
Nowarninglabel
125 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
Would a hosted ecommerce Saas product work if the actual credit card processing was 'outsourced'?

Do you guys think a ecommerce Saas product would "fly" if the service didn't actually process the credit cards itself? Rather it redirects to services like paypal, google checkout etc?

asked Jul 20 '10 at 05:06
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
If one sells ecommerce software, do you HAVE to be PCI compliant at this point?

If one sells ecommerce software, do you HAVE to be PCI compliant at this point? I read it costs upwards of 40K to get your ecomm software PCI compliant. And some of the requirements have things...

asked Jul 22 '10 at 03:40
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.37K Views
Should I get a .co or .com?

I'm currently deciding if I should get a domain name of my 1st choice but with a .co (instead of a .com) or if I should get a less preferred domain name with a .com (because my 1st choice of .com...

asked Jul 29 '10 at 19:36
Blank
Elisha
64 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
3rd Party Merchant Services

I'm looking for a 3rd party payment handling site to sell my software. Currently I have shortlisted Avangate (www.avangate.com) and Fastspring (www.fastspring.com). Fastspring seems to have the...

asked Jul 31 '10 at 00:26
Blank
Tanvir Chowdhury
165 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
Automated shipping from warehouse or stock my own inventory for eCommerce site?

I'm about to start up an eCommerce site for health products. However, I'm unsure of how to structure the company, in particular reference to shipping of product. Should I buy my own product, stock...

asked Aug 4 '10 at 01:46
Blank
Dr. Khan
27 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
PA-DSS compliance is a major roadblock for ecommerce startups, what to do?

PA-DSS certification costs over 40K to get. Any ecommerce application that is distrubuted that handles CC transactions has to get this certification. Some of the rules are 'code reviews', which...

asked Aug 13 '10 at 23:19
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Reports needed for ecommerce and advertising

I'm planning to have a develop build a CMS (in Ruby on Rails) with blogging, advertising and ecommerce integration. Many types of reports/charts would seem necessary in such a system: Unique...

asked Jul 4 '10 at 02:36
Blank
User3741
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
E-commerce startup without a location?

I'm a resident of California and will be starting a company this year but will not be living in California as I'm teaching English in China. So that means I don't have a address in the USA to...

asked Apr 10 '10 at 02:32
Blank
Sam
106 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.73K Views
What are the best resources for registering users?

We are a gift baskets company and part of our business is through our web catalog, which is custom-built in WordPress. I've heard some people saying WordPress is not secure and we should not keep...

asked Jan 13 '10 at 17:33
Blank
Kulpreet Singh
56 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.56K Views
to create blog/forum under a separate site or build under current site

inspired by hubspot, we're dedicated to creating more remarkable content. we think it can be engaging and relevant for our customers. we feel mass-customized apparel is an area that doesn't have...

asked Jan 17 '10 at 18:11
Blank
User2275
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.41K Views
How to market in a heavily saturated field

I've recently launched an ecommerce startup which I've been working on in my spare time for the last 2 years. Now that I'm finally ready to market I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. I think it's...

asked Jan 19 '10 at 09:01
Blank
Eli
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.75K Views
e-commerce provider for an EU based startup

I am starting a software company located in the European Union. I wrote a B2B product that is in beta test at the moment. Based on my market research and analysis I expect to make 50% of sales in...

asked Dec 31 '09 at 23:06
Blank
Branko
106 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.99K Views
Online shoppers - Market Size

I would like to know how many users shop online in USA, UK, Australia etc and the rate of growth each year (%). How and where can I find this data?

asked Nov 28 '09 at 17:28
Blank
167 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.44K Views
Advice for a online music retailer startup

My father left his job one and a half months ago after deciding that he was sick of having a boss and a day-job :-) I have a background in Entrepreneurship having started a small business before...

asked Nov 7 '09 at 19:50
Blank
James Spittal
79 points