EIN Questions

6 Votes
4 Answers
18.4K Views
Filling out a W9 as a Single Member LLC

I previously operated my consulting business as a sole proprietor operating under my own name, using my SSN on W9 forms, etc. I have since registered an LLC and am starting to bring in clients. I...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 10:39
Blank
Eddy Luten
171 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.16K Views
Obtaining new EIN after changing status of DBA

I was doing business under a DBA, then I became incorporated. When I incorporated, I applied for a new EIN - and got one. I have since closed that corporation and now again doing business as a...

asked Mar 9 '12 at 07:09
Blank
Ame
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
Is it possible to change the responsible party information on the EIN?

I am starting a nonprofit (military family readiness group) that will have completely new board members every 2 years, if not sooner. In other words, I will have nothing to do with this...

asked May 30 '13 at 16:43
Blank
Jessica
1 point

-3 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Can a person with an H1B be a non-executive director & co-found a company?

I know this question has been asked many times on many places, however I wasn't able to get straight forward answer except for, "go to Attorney". Sure, I will (go), however I am just doing papers...

EIN
asked Mar 22 '13 at 05:04
Blank
Kedar
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.76K Views
EIN after conversion from LLC to c-corp

We converted (created new entity then merged) from an LLC to a c-corp. The new c-corp has a different EIN than the LLC. Do we need to notify/update our employees, clients and vendors about the new...

asked Feb 18 '13 at 06:23
Blank
Aaron
8 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Acquiring Tax ID Number

We just got filed as an official LLC in CT and were wondering how we get our Tax ID number(EIN). We would like to open a bank account for the company and assume we need that to open one.

asked Jan 2 '13 at 06:40
Blank
Matt Clark
135 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.41K Views
I established a multi member LLC and want to elect taxation as an S Corp. What are EIN steps

I have established a multi member LLC and plan to elect taxation as an s corp. Do I obtain an EIN for the LLC (as a partnership) first and then file the form to be taxed as an S Corp. The...

asked Jun 30 '12 at 16:36
Blank
Kirk
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.81K Views
Choice of LLC Address when applying for EIN online

I was going through the online wizard in the IRS site to create an EIN and I got to a step where it asked me about my LLC Address. I have not filed my articles of organization yet so obviously I...

asked May 29 '12 at 04:11
Blank
Viriato
144 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.65K Views
What is the name of the PDF with my EIN?

Last year I opened a single-member LLC. This is my first year doing the business taxes. Naturally, I have lost my EIN. (This isn't exactly true; I have a hardcopy, but I've recently moved and am...

EIN
asked Apr 13 '12 at 11:59
Blank
Poundifdef
114 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
30.2K Views
What date to use as business "start date" when filing for an EIN?

My LLC was formed as of yesterday. I am now in the process of applying for an EIN through the IRS. The application asks for my business start date. I am an online business, and have not technically...

asked Mar 15 '12 at 08:11
Blank
User16817
63 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
7.7K Views
Converting from an LLC to a C Corp; can we use the same EIN?

When converting from an LLC to a C Corp, can we use the same EIN for the C Corp?

asked Mar 15 '12 at 11:11
Blank
Jon
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.68K Views
I have a NJ LLC, I want to add a DBA. Do I need a new EIN?

Since we already have a Legal LLC in the state of New Jersey, if I wanted to create a DBA would I need to get a new EIN number from the IRS or state-issued tax ID? Can I operate the DBA as its own...

asked Mar 6 '12 at 05:37
Blank
Steve
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Secondary line of business

I have a company with a primary line of business of Software Development consulting. Now my wife wants to do some other work that would be completely unrelated. The question is can I simply add a...

asked Mar 8 '12 at 14:40
Blank
Karlson
1,779 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
12.1K Views
I opened a business checking account last year using my SSN. If I get a federal EIN, can my bank update this or do I need to open a new account?

I opened a business checking account last year using my SSN. If I get a federal EIN, can my bank update this or do I need to open a new account? Basically, at the time I opened the checking...

asked Jan 16 '12 at 06:05
Blank
James Mortensen
363 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Are EINs required for LLCs?

My business partner lives out of state (in WI), but our business is going to be an LLC in WA, where I live. We don't have any paid employees just yet (shoot, we aren't even getting paid yet!),...

asked Apr 4 '11 at 12:45
Blank
Jason Mc92
123 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
7.32K Views
Can anyone help me make sense of the TIN and DBA?

About two years ago, I began building a side business doing IT consulting, which never actually took off because I got so busy with my day job. In the process of building the side business, I...

asked Jan 21 '11 at 04:55
Blank
Beachrunnerjoe
319 points