Employees Questions

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.52K Views
As an potential employee: what are the most important questions to ask when interviewing for a Startup?

I've work in my fair share of startups, and even today I feel like on every new one I still miss some important questions on the interview process: Financial: What is the burn rate, runway as the...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 02:13
Blank
User698
148 points

16 Votes
8 Answers
6.56K Views
Have you seen problems with "unmetered" paid-time-off?

I've never been a fan of counting vacation days, sick days, personal days, or whatever you want to call them. It's irked me to no end that, given X number of paid-time-off days at past jobs, I'd...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 04:58
Blank
Alex Papadimoulis
5,901 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.82K Views
How do you reward for innovation?

It seems to me that encouraging innovation is extremely important for startups, but how do you reward it? If one employee contributes 10 good ideas that never get across the line, and another...

asked Oct 22 '09 at 23:10
Blank
Rick Measham
111 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.42K Views
Personality profiling for job candidates?

I've used a variety of personality profiles to gain additional insights on job candidates, regarding work and communication styles, energy levels, focus, drive etc etc. I have used the DISC Online...

asked Oct 24 '09 at 12:22
Blank
Manuel M
263 points

4 Votes
9 Answers
3.56K Views
Are interns worthwhile?

Derek's question inspired another question... for a small startup (bigger than a one-man shop, but less than a dozen) are interns worthwhile? In my experience, I've run into a few...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 12:10
Blank
Alex Papadimoulis
5,901 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.42K Views
Hiring and interviewing advice

I'm in the process of evaluating resumes for a web marketing / project management position. I've never considered myself very good at interviewing. Beware, my question is multi-faceted, so don't...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 13:52
Blank
Dlynton
1,057 points

12 Votes
8 Answers
3.84K Views
Tips for running a virtual office

Having a virtual company empowers you to hire talent anywhere in the world and manage a team of employees using the wonders of modern technology. I have personally worked this way since January and...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 11:49
Blank
Dlynton
1,057 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
How to deal with employee leaving for big competitor right before launch?

An employee of ours has given notice and leaving for our largest competitor just days before we're about to launch our main product. Since we are a small team, she is critical to finishing it for...

asked Feb 20 '14 at 23:50
Blank
Wendell Scott
11 points

14 Votes
17 Answers
4.63K Views
Best guiding principle for establishing a startup culture where employees "bleed the company's colors"?

We've all heard tips & tricks for establishing great work cultures, but executing on it isn't easy. If you could only give one tip, what would be the thing that would rally the entire team...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 10:59
Blank
Craig Daniel
223 points