Employees Questions

3 Votes
2 Answers
9.44K Views
Can you pay employees with a credit card? (not contractors)

Is there a way to pay employees' salary with a credit card? It's not because our startup is in trouble or anything. I figured this would be a great way to earn points on the card, which can then be...

asked May 22 '14 at 16:55
Blank
Thomas Evans
17 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
Offering free lunches for employees: how to handle logistics?

We are a small startup of 12 people. Offering free lunches to employees is a perk that everyone enjoys, but has become an annoyance from the logistics standpoint. Everyone usually have different...

asked May 20 '14 at 17:13
Blank
William Pitts
14 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.23K Views
Hiring interns instead of employees? Would it be a red flag for investors?

Would it be a red flag for investors if we (2 co-founders) have our entire team comprised of part time interns instead of full time employees? We are looking for a sizable seed round (between $1m...

asked May 16 '14 at 17:11
Blank
Karen Seals
4 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.8K Views
Giving software engineers a small coding challenge prior to actual interview?

What do you think about giving engineers a small software assignment that they complete at home and send over before scheduling an interview. This would really help an employer save both their and...

asked May 9 '14 at 16:40
Blank
Ruth Mercedes
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Showing code samples when interviewing for technical jobs?

What type of code samples should you show to a prospective employer when all your work has been for other companies? I don't currently have any open source contributions that employers can look...

asked May 9 '14 at 14:16
Blank
Kevin Sloane
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.49K Views
Overhead costs of employees?

What are the common overhead costs associated with full time employees?I've heard that if a developer's salary is $100K, he actually costs the company $150K.I can't see where all the expenses would...

asked May 3 '14 at 15:12
Blank
Jade Livingston
14 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
Best way to give constructive criticism to designers?

What is the best way to give constructive criticism to people in creative roles? That could include designers, copywriters, etc.I know most designers are numb from getting color / font change...

asked Apr 17 '14 at 21:41
Blank
Joan Stacy
7 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
4.49K Views
DIY Payroll Processing?

I have tried (and been rejected by) a few online payroll solutions. As I am about to start (very soon) working with real employees, I need to find a way to do payroll more or less manually (though...

asked Mar 30 '12 at 01:53
Blank
Michael Trausch
135 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
What metric to measure product managers?

We're building a recruiting and employee management platform (similar to Yammer).The product records and analyzes metrics for each different type of employee so that we can offer employers of large...

asked Apr 11 '14 at 10:41
Blank
Ariel Jacobs
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Working for Google vs Square?

Both positions are the same.Square's salary is slightly higher (only a little).Which would you pick and why?

asked Mar 28 '14 at 01:50
Blank
Rebecca Becker
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Retaining employees who are close to fully vesting their equity?

To keep it simple, let's say you have an employee who is about to fully vest into getting 2% equity in your company. They're a critical part of your engineering team and you want to try to retain...

asked Mar 26 '14 at 21:11
Blank
John Marsh
30 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Offered employees flexible working hours: now no one shows up on time! What to do?

I have a very small operation (just three employees) and we decided to try out flexible hours when we hired our latest engineer. Now no one shows up on time every day!Usually it's not an issue, but...

asked Mar 1 '14 at 06:41
Blank
Kenya Brouwer
90 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.95K Views
What to do when you overhear your employee saying she's dissatisfied with her job?

I overheard a phone call by an employee while passing by, who was on call with a contractor, saying negative things about the company and her job.How should I deal with something like this? I would...

asked Feb 28 '14 at 17:18
Blank
Kenneth Barker
10 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.59K Views
For solo founders, how do you distinguish between a first employee and potential co-founder?

I'm a single founder working on a mobile app and looking to either get a co-founder or just out right hire someone as the first employee (I have some savings that I can use to pay a few months...

asked Feb 14 '14 at 14:01
Blank
Mario Freytag
1 point

28 Votes
6 Answers
14.6K Views
Ideal office space layout - open or offices?

I have worked in a variety of environments wanted to share my opinions and see what others thought on the subject of ideal office space layout. Once our lease is up (in a few years) I am thinking...

asked Nov 7 '09 at 10:19
Blank
Oleg Barshay
2,091 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.38K Views
Taking on a new team member and paying only in equity - legal aspects and pitfalls

Here's my situation. I founded a company very recently (currently an LLC) and have no external funding. I also don't have deep pockets. This is for a startup in the US in Washington state. I...

asked Dec 5 '13 at 18:53
Blank
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
When a company is acquired how are employees compensated?

Let's say you join a small (< 50) hot startup. A month or two after you start, they end up getting acquired for $1 billion. As an employee that just started would you receive any of that money?...

asked Nov 15 '13 at 06:13
Blank
Wwwuser
125 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
6.18K Views
Attrition in the company (employees leaving for 20% more salary) - Suggested strategies?

We are a 4 year old startup and are facing few issues (not yet major) with regards to attrition. We have been of the opinion that if we keep paying the employees as per the market standards and...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 15:29
Blank
Nitin Srivastava
171 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
If I want to start my own Software Company and Employ people abroad - do I need to register with RCA for a business number?

To begin I am a software enthusiast with minimal business experience. I want to start a sole proprietorship where I develop ideas and then have people help me develop them for me. (people...

asked Sep 12 '13 at 06:30
Blank
B Dillan
13 points

9 Votes
7 Answers
4.2K Views
Is there hope for this worker, or should I just get rid of him?

I made arrangements for a recent college grad to come in and help us out with some part time development as an independent contractor. The guy does decent work when he's here, but he rarely can...

asked Aug 13 '13 at 02:23
Blank
Contrazoom
186 points