Employees Questions

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Typical billable efficiency for a web programmer?

Out of a 40-hour work week, how many hours of actual productive work is reasonable for me to expect from a salaried web developer? (low-high range?) In our case, productive work means billable work...

asked Aug 16 '13 at 01:45
Blank
Contrazoom
186 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
Outsourcing in India

Before i ask this question i want to preface it by saying that it is not meant with any racial judgement and i would like answers that are pure and coming from an honest and non-bigoty place. With...

asked Aug 21 '13 at 02:55
Blank
Amin Brodie
39 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.9K Views
A Project Completed At Home - My Employer Wants Rights To The System

I currently work within a call centre as a manager and I have a lot of admin work to complete. During my own time, at home, on my own PC I started developing a system/tool via Excel that would...

asked Aug 21 '13 at 21:50
Blank
Jim Cullinane
41 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
Is it acceptable to cut an employee before going into Series A?

Hi fellow startupians, I've recently gone into a venture with a friend. He is a business/marketing student, and I am a Comp Sci/Math/Econ/A million other things student. Before we moved down to...

asked Jul 30 '13 at 07:24
Blank
Jdero
128 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
Paying a freelancer in the US from EU

I am currently working a lot with a freelancer from the US. I am based in Germany. Now we are currently finishing our first project and I need to pay him. I would like to avoid cost of paypal if...

asked Aug 2 '13 at 23:22
Blank
Christian
3,590 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.39K Views
How can I determine if I can afford a new employee?

I am working as a single worker in my small office. For the last year I have had more work than I can manage and I am thinking about employing someone to help me. Now, is there a way that I can...

asked Jul 12 '13 at 01:25
Blank
Ben Mcss
143 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.06K Views
No I-9 Documents after 3 days. Now what?

I know the I-9 document states that the form must be completed in 3 business days of the employee's first day of work. If the employee says they'll provide documentation, but after three days have...

asked Jul 12 '13 at 03:46
Blank
Captain Crypto
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
Question about chargebacks and finder's fees

My business partner and I are looking for a second opinion on this. The story goes that we're looking for employees, so we offered someone a finder's fee to get a developer for us. She found...

asked Jul 20 '13 at 11:10
Blank
Boztalay
106 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.21K Views
Stock Option Calculation

I received offer from company that just raised Series A round. I'm trying to determine a method of finding out how much my stock options are worth. They gave me multiple offers with varying...

asked Jul 2 '13 at 16:34
Blank
Harmon
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Employment vs Sole Trading - UK

In the UK, is it possible to be in full time employment and be a sole trader at the same time? i.e. Work a full time job as an employee. Do contract work as a sole trader on evenings and...

asked May 20 '13 at 21:29
Blank
Flem
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Using my kids as models

I've recently started a photography business, not because I can take pictures with my phone and instagram, a legitimate business. How will the tax man feel about me employing and paying my small...

asked Apr 26 '13 at 03:26
Blank
Dave Swan
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
Can I train a programmer from internal staff?

I have a person on staff who has been doing a lot of admin type work: support, billing, etc. I am thinking that I will want another programmer (PHP/MYSQL/etc) in the next 6-12 months for some new...

asked Apr 9 '13 at 01:27
Blank
Simon
165 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
Startup advice on business structure for an international call center

I'm Canadian and living in Canada and I have a professional friend who is American and living in the States. He and I want to start a call center. The operation will be centered around him for...

asked Mar 25 '13 at 04:43
Blank
User25605
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
What do tech startups look for in potential employees?

I'm a computer science student at Bristol University in the UK, and I'm looking to work for a startup when I graduate, as I have always had a strong interest in business and feel working for a...

asked Mar 17 '13 at 04:17
Blank
Ryan
4 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
Workers of a subsidary purely work on products of the parent company

If the parent company wholly owns the subsidiary, could the employees of the subsidiary work on products of the parent company? Are special contracts needed? Thanks

asked Jan 28 '13 at 14:56
Blank
Kate
99 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
How much power should you give your part-time staff?

My company started hiring office assistants a couple years ago. The rationale is pretty straightforward: since good engineers are hard to find, free our engineers of non-engineering tasks so they...

asked Jan 11 '13 at 05:34
Blank
User1662
173 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.35K Views
What is considered "generous-stock-options" for a start-up company in its early days?

We are a young startup, founded by 3 members about a year and a half ago, and recently closed a seed-stage investment round. We are about to hire our first 3 employees, 2 tech, 1...

asked Dec 18 '12 at 17:25
Blank
Founder
11 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
Is it OK to use a shortened first name as a professional?

My name is Amir Khan but instead of Amir I want use Am Khan on my email accounts, online presence, and that's what I want people to call me by and on everything legal I will of course use my full...

asked Dec 19 '12 at 10:55
Blank
Ariel
138 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
Hiring remote employees and getting work done

I want to hire a few developers and support executive for my website. Being an start up, I want to hire them to work remotely to save office expenses but I don't know anything about hiring full...

asked Dec 3 '12 at 20:32
Blank
Sourabh
288 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
5.42K Views
What is the law covering the intellectual property rights of software developed during internship/employment without signed contract/agreement?

I am a software engineer who "invented", and developed alone an integrated ERP software solution over the past 2 years. I got the idea and coded much of the software as intern at small wholesale...

asked Oct 20 '12 at 06:31
Blank
P T
11 points