Employees Questions

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.04K Views
Is it illegal to sell a software template created at work but duplicated and augmented at home?

I am an employee at a large company and I created a worksheet using my work computer. The worksheet helps me organize my info such as passwords and time-off records. I replicated it and then...

asked Feb 28 '12 at 11:36
Blank
Es Developer
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.83K Views
Looking to hire designer for a few days. What do I need to know?

I'm probably going to hire a freelance web designer for a few day to complete a project. The designer will probably be freelance so I will be paying a fixed amount on completion. Are there any...

asked Feb 18 '12 at 09:03
Blank
Lee Jacobson
116 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.76K Views
I can't seem to find this answer anywhere regarding LLC

I live in CT but I have office space in NH, where would I register for an LLC? I don't plan on moving there and have employees in NH, so what should I do?

asked Feb 8 '12 at 05:19
Blank
Kas08016
6 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
Advice for early-stage hiring?

I am the CEO of a rapidly growing startup and our growth has begun to outpace our resources as a 3 person organization. So we have begun looking around for people to hire, both as programmers, as...

asked Feb 8 '12 at 07:55
Blank
Jason
279 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
3.13K Views
Should I hire relatives in my startup?

My sister and I started a small company. I don't mind working with her. So far, we've been doing well and have managed to keep our professional issues separate from our family life. The problem is...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 18:13
Blank
March Robert Philip Serrano
152 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
Do websites with pictures of people on the first page make the company look more "human"

Do websites with pictures of people on the first page make the company look more "human", therefore contributing to the success of the product or service the web site tries to promote? Short...

asked Jan 21 '12 at 11:27
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
How to handle a leaving employee's shares

I have a question about what are the best exit options for employees that own shares in a company and want to leave after some time. For example, let's say at the start of a company the first...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 09:38
Blank
Jfaulkins
111 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.08K Views
Reasons to get local admin assistant rather than Virtual Assistant?

Under what circumstances might it make sense to employ a local admin assistant rather than a remote Virtual Assistant?

asked Jan 13 '12 at 21:53
Blank
Ryan
1,365 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Evaluating a startup

My question is, what is the best way to evaluate a software startup as a perspective employee from the point of view of viability i.e. economic viability. I am more interested in hints related to...

asked Jan 6 '12 at 07:13
Blank
Jim
21 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.73K Views
How much profit-sharing should I give my secretary / marketer?

I am a part-time programmer contractor and usually I do everything myself, including meeting clients, writing the proposal, programming, the whole 9 yards. I would like to hire someone to split the...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 07:37
Blank
Yongke Bill Yu
106 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.62K Views
What's a good ratio between founder equity and early employee equity?

I'm looking into the equity for the 2nd employee of an early-stage startup. I've seen lots of rules of thumbs out there (some people say 1%) but it's hard to apply because some rules of thumb refer...

asked Dec 16 '11 at 15:58
Blank
Led
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
If I can find someone who will work for an employee's salary rate as a contractor, should I hire them?

I am 1 year into my own Startup Software business and all is going well. We have enough money to hire someone and after pushing 90-130 hours a week for the last 4 months, I think it's a sensible...

asked Dec 17 '11 at 19:45
Blank
Optician
106 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
Where to post job for early stage startup

We are bootstrapping and offering equity. We're seeking a front end developer. We posted on startuply.com but are looking for other places. We used one location on craigslist. Anywhere else we...

asked Dec 18 '11 at 04:29
Blank
John Deer
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.54K Views
How many employees do we need?

My co-founder and I are in the very early stages of launching our website. My day job is in finance, a highly-intense industry, to say the least. I very rarely have downtime during the day and our...

asked Nov 10 '11 at 12:45
Blank
User522962
108 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
39.7K Views
Do employees get paid during the time a business is closed for renovations?

I'm curious if a company has to (or if it is normal to) pay their employees if they, for instance, close the business for a while for renovations. For a specific case, say a restaurant closes for...

asked Nov 13 '11 at 15:22
Blank
Josh M.
138 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.86K Views
How to attract talent as startup?

What are the best ways in attracting talent to a startup? Is it salary, a cool brand, a cool office or something else? Equity is pretty much a standard so I'm looking for some other tips. A while...

asked Nov 3 '11 at 05:47
Blank
Erotsppa
139 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
What title to give to a non-founder first person in company

This question is a follow up to another question but it stands as a question by itself so i decided to ask it separately.. i am a single-founder starting a company and hence looking for...

asked Oct 18 '11 at 23:09
Blank
Achshar
125 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.67K Views
Why can't a startup "own" its employees when sport clubs can?

Soccer clubs (at least in Europe) "own" their players for the duration of the contracts. These players are working for their clubs in a very similar way to employees working for startups. My...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 00:21
Blank
David
1,567 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Intellectual Property and Side-Projects in Western Europe

Joel's answer on "If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare time?" certainly was an interesting read. However, it was pretty much centred...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 01:23
Blank
Pepijn
123 points

10 Votes
15 Answers
5.74K Views
Employee abusing sick leave

We have a very important employee at our startup who has been consistently abusing sick days. Unfortunately being a small company we would have a very hard time replacing him at this point but his...

asked Oct 1 '11 at 02:18
Blank
Lloyd
53 points