Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.72K Views
Both cofounders quit. Rebrand?

So me and 2 other cofounders spent a year building a product together, however it got no traction. We have a ery expensive buyout price however, but I don't think it makes sense to buy them out. So...

asked Oct 22 '14 at 21:10
Blank
User34175
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.53K Views
Need opinions: equity, salaries and risk with partners in a startup

Hi all, let me give you a brief run down of my case: a couple of other people and I are thinking about creating a technology startup for a niche marketing product. It would involve an initial ~8...

asked Oct 24 '14 at 06:46
Blank
Awasaba
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.89K Views
Lawyer involved in co-founder dispute. Partner threatening to quit.

Long story short, approached a friend who is already a co founder of another technology start up that has investment with an idea. He liked the idea. It was my idea, and we started working on...

asked Dec 4 '14 at 03:46
Blank
User34199
46 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.28K Views
Ideal equity distribution example

Two colleagues ("A" and "B") want to set up a new business based on production. Both invest to initiate the company: "A" and "B" WILL INVEST the same amount. ADDITIONALLY, "B" will make a large...

asked Dec 8 '14 at 15:14
Blank
Ojey
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.02K Views
CTO wants 30% , should I accept?

I need a CTO to join my start up. It is a mobile app. His proposal: 30% equity and wants a 20% employee pool. Leaving me with a 50:30 split. What I bring to the table:1) I am technical. One...

asked Dec 30 '14 at 00:58
Blank
User34199
46 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.62K Views
How to deal a Voluntary Exit from Startup

We are a 3 people company running from last 3+ years, we have our share holding agreement with equal share for each of us but no specific vesting clauses. Now i am planning to quit for personal...

asked Jan 25 '15 at 21:14
Blank
StartupGuy
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.72K Views
Are incubators worth the tiny investment they give you?

Outside of the big incubators like YCombinator and 500Startups, there are tons of smaller ones that only invest small amounts ($10K-ish) and take around 5% equity in your early stage startup.Are...

asked Apr 17 '15 at 13:11
Blank
Robert Dotson
12 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.56K Views
Figuring out how much equity to give to angel investors for seed capital?

My startup is in the very early stages. We have a very raw prototype and haven't launched yet and so have no revenue either.Two angel investors are interested in putting $20,000 each in our startup...

asked May 30 '15 at 13:41
Blank
Darlene Vera
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
4.31K Views
If I do a 49-50 split partnership do I have the final say as the one with 50% equity?

I just do not know that much about the other person other then he has good tech skills and can take care of a lot of the paper work stuff, that lets me design and build the business. Which is what...

asked Jun 30 '15 at 04:59
Blank
Paul Gilchrist
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
6.99K Views
Clawback vs. vesting

What is the difference between clawback and founder vesting? It seems that the term "clawback" was used in connection with the Zynga and Skype cases Equity Clawback - how to avoid Zynga situation

asked Jul 31 '12 at 19:33
Blank
Jhexp
105 points

7 Votes
9 Answers
10.1K Views
Is performance based equity vesting possible?

I'm willing to give 20% of my startup to my partner who has an MBA and good experience. His main responsibility will be sales, marketing and deal making. I'm the developer. I'm working full-time...

asked Nov 5 '09 at 08:13
Blank
Boolean
388 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.66K Views
Can one who lives in a 3rd world country target an investing round from a VC in the US?

Can someone who lives in a third world country target an investment round from a VC in US? From the likes of Ycombinator, etc?

asked Nov 16 '12 at 12:06
Blank
Iam
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.15K Views
How much equity is fair for joining a pre-revenue hedge fund?

The manager of a newly established hedge fund has offered me to join the company for 20% of the company + minimal salary. The fund is not profitable yet, and it would take a year, or two, before it...

asked Jun 3 '14 at 03:40
Blank
User33947
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.41K Views
Founders: how to prevent getting fired by the board after raising a few rounds of financing (with dilution of your ownership)?

Once you raise a few rounds of capital, your equity ownership most likely gets diluted to a minority stake. There is nothing that stops the board from firing the founder at this point. How do you...

asked May 27 '14 at 23:13
Blank
Joshua Propp
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
12.6K Views
How much equity should I give up to the app developers?

I am in the process of designing a mobile app and i'm at the stage where I need to finalise the cost with the developers. They have sent me a quote which I believe to be quite high, however they...

asked Mar 11 '13 at 09:56
Blank
Jack
8 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Should you give marginal equity to contractors that you hire?

What do you think about giving a tiny amount of equity to contractors and consultants? Do you think it would make them more motivated to do a better job if they have ownership in the company?

asked Apr 17 '14 at 22:42
Blank
Salvatore Cochrane
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.62K Views
What keeps founders in startup after vesting?

Suppose 2 founders started a company. After 4 years and full vesting one founder decides to leave. Then after 2 more years company successfully sold and both receive the same value. That looks...

asked Apr 16 '14 at 13:46
Blank
Роман Семенов
16 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.61K Views
Why should my partner keep me (the sole developer) as a co-founder instead of hiring a contract developer who has no ownership or revenue sharing?

A little background. I built an app for a friend's small business, it was his idea. I went to him when it was finished and told him it's a good idea and I'd like to turn it into a product I could...

asked Apr 3 '14 at 15:19
Blank
Ryan Arneson
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Retaining employees who are close to fully vesting their equity?

To keep it simple, let's say you have an employee who is about to fully vest into getting 2% equity in your company. They're a critical part of your engineering team and you want to try to retain...

asked Mar 26 '14 at 21:11
Blank
John Marsh
30 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Equity for CTO, brought on around beta

I'm in a predicament. I currently work as a Senior Software Engineer for a medium sized company (top 200 website in U.S.) and get paid above average. This company treats me very well, the people...

asked Mar 11 '14 at 17:15
Blank
User33845
11 points