Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
Taking on a partner/dev lead

I am in the process of developing a website focused on the travel industry. It's a unique idea that I feel "has legs", and I've gotten very positive feedback from some close associates who have...

asked Nov 24 '09 at 02:34
Blank
Kemmatech
33 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
8.62K Views
What Are Some Good Profit Sharing Packages and Bonus Structures?

I own a bootstrapped startup that now has a big enough customer base where I can actually hire a developer to help me push it to the next level. Since we don't have all the bells and whistles that...

asked Nov 12 '09 at 08:08
Blank
User1466
21 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.62K Views
Which type of business to form?

I'm currently starting up a small business with two other partners who are very trustful friends. The business is mostly software, along with one small piece of hardware. We've talked about the...

asked Nov 17 '09 at 12:58
Blank
Brianz
223 points

9 Votes
4 Answers
3.62K Views
How should founders treat their paid-in cash in a self-funded startup?

In a founder-funded company, how should the founders treat the cash that they contribute to the company? Should it be convertible debt? Equity (but the founders already have all the equity...

asked Oct 30 '09 at 05:07
Blank
Brandon
108 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
4.13K Views
When do you split up the equity

I'm involved in a startup with some friends and we haven't formalized the equity split yet. When is good practice to do something about equity and what do you start with ie: short letter or...

asked Oct 17 '09 at 23:39
Blank
Scott Cowan
156 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.8K Views
How do you reward for innovation?

It seems to me that encouraging innovation is extremely important for startups, but how do you reward it? If one employee contributes 10 good ideas that never get across the line, and another...

asked Oct 22 '09 at 23:10
Blank
Rick Measham
111 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
4.31K Views
How is ownership of equity re-distributed at each stage of growth?

I've been researching for over a year now as an aspiring entrepreneur, but I am still fuzzy on how equity gets distributed at every stage of company growth. Is a set amount of "shares" created...

asked Oct 23 '09 at 11:08
Blank
Joe
277 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
4.51K Views
Sample Term Sheets?

My company is working with a handful of private investors and we would like to see what a typical term sheet looks like. Does anybody know where I can find myself some sample term sheets that show...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 04:46
Blank
Jason
152 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
10.4K Views
equity distribution amongst startup co-founders?

I think that a justified equity distribution amongst the co-founders is extremely important for the startup to takeoff, but tricky part is, how to go about doing it ? I'm curious to know, how does...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 19:47
Blank
Phoenix24
126 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
4.72K Views
What is a PPM and what is it used for?

What does PPM stand for? Why would I need it if I am getting investors. I am talking to a company now that says I have to spend ~$40K for books (Blue Sky Laws?) before they can go to investors to...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 05:24
Blank
Jason
152 points

262 Votes
7 Answers
206K Views
Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly?

I have come up with an idea for a new social networking application. It's not something I expect to be hugely successful, but I think it does have some potential. I've approached a few close...

asked Jan 22 '10 at 07:37
Blank
Matt
1,383 points