Finance Questions

1 Votes
6 Answers
45.4K Views
Is it OK to include my bank info on an invoice?

I am doing some freelance work. I am about to send an invoice and in the footers I am writing that payment can be made by check at the address X, paypal to Y, or bank transfer. Is it OK to include...

asked Jun 28 '11 at 02:34
Blank
Nute
143 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Startup Taxes and Accounting: Finding services, Best practices, & How not to go to jail

There are many money issues that neither add to my code base nor user base. For example: payroll taxes and excise taxes W2 W3 W4 I9 941 940 1120 + all the equivalent state forms all of those...

asked Jun 13 '11 at 14:32
Blank
Evan
133 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Risks caused by Euro collapse

I am running a start-up business in Denmark. Denmark is not a part of the Euro, but the currency has been pegged to the Euro for many years. I believe that there is a significant risk of a collapse...

asked Jun 18 '11 at 03:04
Blank
David
1,567 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Finding an appropriate website investor

If somebody has a website idea and make the website successfully (not on paper) and the local market is good (idea succeed) but he cannot extend the market because of management, finance and...

asked Jun 12 '11 at 13:21
Blank
Xaqron
311 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Plain english translation of these finance terms

What does these mean in plain English, guessing the best way to describe it is by giving theoretical numbers for best worst case instances, though that's just my thought - I'll leave it up to you...

asked Jun 3 '11 at 01:56
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Can I ask my customers to invest in our company in exchange for products?

My wife and I own a tea company; neither one of us has good credit so we have not been able to get loans or credit cards or people to invest in our company We have had about 550 customers so far...

asked May 25 '11 at 02:15
Blank
Raghavendra
21 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.91K Views
What do I Need to Know When Running a Business?

I am currently working at a company in a technical cum slightly managerial position and strongly thinking about starting a technology based company (this can happen in the next one or two years to...

asked May 11 '11 at 15:38
Blank
Pathum Mudannayake
178 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.68K Views
Best book for learning corporate finance

There are a lot of books out there which hit on these concepts: Discounted cash flow: NPV, IRR Return on equity WACC CAPM Capital structure: Debt vs. Equity However, most of these books broach...

asked May 13 '11 at 03:00
Blank
Jgoldberg
6 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
Insuring against non payment

If after doing the necessary credit checks, after loaning someone some money, they don't pay it back after a period (how long would this need to be?) is there a way I can indemnify my business...

asked May 16 '11 at 07:13
Blank
Ryan
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
How can I deal with unexpected charges from a vendor?

So here's the situation... looking for advice: 2 years ago, I signed up as a reseller for a hosted service and sold it to a customer A couple months ago, service started having problems,...

asked May 6 '11 at 23:41
Blank
Route Npingme
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
How to earn from an OpenSource Venture

do you know how people earn through open source ventures? When free and open source projects help many in great ways, still I think that the people who get involved in it full time (not volunteers)...

asked Apr 25 '11 at 15:36
Blank
Pathum Mudannayake
178 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
2.66K Views
Start a Business with no financing

anybody knows how to start a business from absolute zero financing. I have an idea ( software related). I am a programmer too (but not very proficient to call myself brilliant). And I want to start...

asked Apr 25 '11 at 15:57
Blank
Pathum Mudannayake
178 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.07K Views
[UK] Pros and cons of self billing for first time contractor?

I've just started my own company and I'm initially contracting - I've been asked if I want to send invoices, or do self billing. I've had a look online and I can't see any reason not to self bill,...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 18:46
Blank
Martyn
128 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
How to form an INC Company

I would like to know how inc companies are formed. Is it only beyond some threshold revenue or asset barrier that companies can be incorporated as incs. I have seen most of the US major companies:...

asked Apr 28 '11 at 18:24
Blank
Pathum Mudannayake
178 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Chicken/Egg: New Startup, Need Credit Card

We're a new startup and need a credit card to make some online purchases. We're looking into options and all of them seem to want at least two years of business history, positive cash flow, etc....

asked Apr 29 '11 at 11:20
Blank
Aj.
212 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.86K Views
Most important skill a businessman should have

What is the most important skill one should have when starting up or running a business? is it financial handling?

asked Apr 24 '11 at 13:27
Blank
Pathum Mudannayake
178 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
Identifying failing and bad start-up companies (for sofware developers)

I recently caught up with a former colleague, a mid-level software developer. For the last year, he has been at a failing (badly), self-funded, single-owner software startup. According to him, the...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 00:49
Blank
Mqv
52 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Working out key financials

Hi i am writing my business plan, I have identified my potential revenue streams such as; 1) Ticketing and Merchandising 2) Advertising As well as a few others, however how do you go about...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 07:49
Blank
Pmillio
57 points

12 Votes
1 Answers
4.19K Views
Why do startups need so much money?

What are startups raising millions of dollars for? I know running a website can get costly, but seriously, millions? I just don't get it. And if you say advertising, I still don't get it, because...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 14:37
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
9.05K Views
How do websites that don't charge anything make money?

The obvious answer is "advertising" but I've heard of a lot of decently popular sites that don't make much on advertising. How else do you make money? are they just hoping to get bought out? And...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 15:18
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points