Founder Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.02K Views
Should I, as the founder of a company, have to draw a minimum wage?

I have started a company with 2 other co-founders in the US and own 40% of the company. I am the only employee on record as the CEO of the company. My lawyer insists that I should draw a minimum...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 03:47
Blank
Edupreneur
6 points

70 Votes
14 Answers
12.8K Views
How to start a business and not destroy your marriage?

Although the question has the word "marriage" in the title, it is really about any most important relationship in a founder's life, be it husband/wife, fiancee, boyfriend/girlfriend, partner or...

asked Jan 14 '10 at 09:25
Blank
Steve Wilkinson
2,744 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.98K Views
Talent assessment - knowing what you don't know?

Related to this question, and applying both ways - finding a person is one thing, but for a technical founder trying to assess a non-technical founder and vice versa to see if they're a good fit is...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 12:07
Blank
Cade Roux
196 points

14 Votes
10 Answers
9.34K Views
Is it really that hard for "solo" entrepreneurs to succeed?

I've seen and heard in many websites, magazines and talking to people the same thing over and over again... A lot of people seem to agree that "solo" entrepreneurs don't have a chance to succeed....

asked Oct 10 '09 at 11:28
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
What role does a founder play after they a hire a CEO to lead the ship?

What kind of roles does a founder fit into after they are replaced by a more experienced CEO?While a lot of companies we read about still have the original founder as the CEO, in most cases the...

asked Apr 1 '14 at 22:44
Blank
James Middleton
14 points

22 Votes
5 Answers
4.83K Views
What's the best way to find/evaluate a Marketing co-founder?

As a follow-on to my last question What is the ideal mix of founders for a SaaS startup? it seems that a Marketeer is important to a SaaS startup. I think it's fairly easy to find and evaluate...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 23:46
Blank
Denis Hennessy
1,363 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.3K Views
How can a founder structure the stock options pool to get guaranteed percentage?

Let's say I have a company where I am the founder and also have 2 employees - E1 and E2. Let's say there are 1000 authorized shares, but only 800 of them are issued. 600 of those shares are...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 04:45
Blank
Salmon
970 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.68K Views
What investment finance options are available to exit your angel investors?

Id like to know what investment options, equity or debt financing options exists amongst VC Firms for Entrepreneurs wanting to buy out their Investors stake in the business. In other words, exit...

asked Sep 20 '13 at 06:30
Blank
T.G. Van Zyl
11 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.68K Views
co-founder not pulling their weight

My co-founder and I have been working on my idea for the past 18 months. Throughout, despite statements of their commitment, I have always done the vast majority of the work. We have had serious...

asked Jun 4 '13 at 07:34
Blank
User26519
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.83K Views
How to distribute voting power among 3 co founders when there is couple in it?

So here is a situation, we are facing. We are three co founders - Saun, Sam and Joel. Saun has been discussing about starting up with Sam and Joel who both happen to be his college mates. All the...

asked Jun 1 '13 at 17:25
Blank
Saun
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
about launching concurrent projects

yes, I have a couple of them that I do not want to give up any. Supposing they all got very positive feedback from very initial surveys, I would like to request your views on the possibility of...

asked Apr 27 '13 at 01:07
Blank
Menesa
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.65K Views
Is my approach to find a cofounder flawed?

I've gone to countless networking events, underground entrepreneur groups, cofounder sites like CoFoundersLab, etc. I'm looking more on the business-dev. end. I've talked to quite a few 1:1 and...

asked Feb 19 '13 at 07:14
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
Advice on the need for a foreign subsidiary

We'd like to startup a company that is seen as a UK company and be governed by UK laws, including Privacy laws. However, all of our operations, management and control will reside in Canada at least...

asked Jan 29 '13 at 06:34
Blank
Kate
99 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
How to protect investors from founders leaving when out of money

We have founding partners who work for our start-up company full-time. We are now having a first external equity investor coming in. We have enough financing to last about one year at which time we...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 05:21
Blank
User23570
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.43K Views
How to fight with distraction problem?

I am a web entrepreneur and programmer. I am good at generating new ideas and refining them but now, my strength is being my weakness as when ever I am close to completing a a product, I get new...

asked Dec 17 '12 at 08:35
Blank
Sourabh
288 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.79K Views
Co-founder question

This is my first startup. I was working with a friend on his startup. He was going to offer me 20% of the company and we worked on it for 4 months. The idea was good but we ran out of money before...

asked Nov 29 '12 at 15:58
Blank
Devin Shavenoff
8 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.07K Views
Non-technical founder asking for a larger stake in the company

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? I'm in a position where a colleague has offered me a percentage of a startup that is just getting off the...

asked Sep 3 '12 at 02:49
Blank
User19467
16 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.19K Views
Do I need a technical cofounder?

I am in the very early stages of my first startup. I am not technical so I was wondering if getting a technical cofounder should be my first step or if I can go it alone with just my idea at first?...

asked Jul 29 '12 at 06:23
Blank
Peter
21 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.79K Views
Is this a fair CEO offer for an experienced CFO/COO

My question/story is this: two years ago I broke ground on a startup. We planned and planned, raised some funds and broke ground writing code. Two years later we put $250k into the business, have...

asked Aug 2 '12 at 15:39
Blank
Webwrks
131 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
is a startup blog necessary?

I have just finished designing the concept of my service, that is, what I am going to offer to people has crystallized. there are various components to this, and I will look for cofounders now, and...

asked Jun 8 '12 at 15:58
Blank
Bjess
11 points