Free Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.87K Views
Should you give your product away for free to first adopters?

During the first few weeks of launching, should you give your product away for free to get people to use it and possibly spread the word about it?Is that a good marketing tactic? It's a strategy...

asked May 20 '14 at 13:21
Blank
Cynthia Wilson
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.37K Views
Converting a paid service to a free service

Are there any examples where converting a paid service to a free service caused issues for subscribers? Imagine a startup with a paid service, that is acquired by a large corp who lacks a...

asked Aug 21 '13 at 22:49
Blank
New Alexandria
221 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Question regarding contracts for unpaid work

we're starting a website that caters to a certain demography - and need some illustrations done. We have a few folks interested in contributing the illustrations for free - but we want to be safe...

asked Feb 22 '13 at 05:18
Blank
Ram
21 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
How to deal with unsatisfied clients in a free application

We offer a free, cloud based B2B application - it offers the same and more functionality than most if not all of the paid equivalent applications out there at no cost. We offer awesome support...

asked Feb 20 '13 at 01:58
Blank
Bhttoan
735 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
MVP: include price right from the start or test first

I have idea for the file sharing site. Now, I was thinking to first release the service without pricing options and users base, basically, to offer free but limited service, kind a like free...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 10:46
Blank
Cikatomo
108 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
3K Views
Is 'free' a bad idea in business applications?

In the case of business SaaS, specifically in a market where this type of software is never free what are the arguments regarding launching your product for free? More specifically the idea would...

asked Oct 5 '12 at 15:48
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Selecting a Pricing structure-How to offer free membership?

We are nearing the launch of our website which is a wholesale marketplace and network, which hosts transactions between Buyers and Sellers. We are deciding between two offers for a period of free...

asked Sep 12 '12 at 10:22
Blank
Doug C
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
Moving customers from free to paid

I've got a subscription service with a free tier. Initially, the free tier was far too generous. We've since significantly lowered what that free tier provides. However, we had grandfathered in...

asked Jul 18 '12 at 06:36
Blank
Marc Hughes
111 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.05K Views
Exclusivity on a free platform?

Im developing a business model that brings a new feature to its market. the idea itself is new and nobody is doing it today. in order to enable this, Im using an existing platform (free at this...

asked Jun 4 '12 at 14:37
Blank
Lior
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Transition of a mobile app from free to freemium

I'm about to release a mobile app I wrote. Since the first version is somewhat bare-bones (aka a MVP), I'm making it free. However, in the future I want to use the freemium model. Do you think it's...

asked Oct 26 '11 at 13:41
Blank
Black Rider
297 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Smaller Project for Free Open Source as Leverage

Is it smart to release a small project as free and open-source to display my abilities as a programmer. I don't mean that in a "Hey, look at me, I'm awesome!" way. I mean it in a "This is the...

asked Oct 10 '11 at 06:02
Blank
Jberger
118 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
What motivates investors to put money towards free mobile apps?

I'm a student in CS, and I was assuming that all the apps which are delivered for free on appstore (or other markets for android, windows, blackberry) were made by enthusiasm programmers which put...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 20:34
Blank
Dole Doug
141 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.87K Views
Where do I find startups that want student UX User Experience help?

I'm a vet UX who now finds myself teaching graduate students user experience design. One of the lessons I want to provide my students is a real life application for their work. How do I find...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 11:48
Blank
Rachel
41 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Free or not free

We're developing an idea for a product that we can give to retailers at no cost by subsidizing the cost through advertising. Retailers don't pay much for it, but it is still an expense to them. The...

asked May 15 '11 at 02:16
Blank
Cameron
16 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Startup giving away product early or hold out?

So we are a SaaS model new recruitng tool and weve been trying to acquire our first couple of major deals. I read alot of books on starting up and have advised start ups my whole career. At first...

asked May 4 '11 at 07:19
Blank
Rich Goldstein
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Is there a website dedicated to attracting *free* help in exchange for equity?

When you are starting a new company, its often hard or impossible pay everyone for services they can provide. Some people may be willing to work with\help you build your dream in exchange for...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 03:48
Blank
Bryan Migliorisi
449 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.61K Views
Need advice on getting the word out about an open source and free site

A few months back I got tired of doing portfolio tracking in a spreadsheet and sat down and made a site. I got a few friends and family to start using it as well for their portfolios but have been...

asked Apr 2 '11 at 14:39
Blank
Gennadiy
313 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
6.42K Views
Music to use in screencasts

We are regularly making some screencasts to demonstrate new functionality to our clients. It would be good to have some nice, engaging background music playing throughout the show. Are there any...

asked Feb 24 '11 at 20:36
Blank
Art
350 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
When to consider Free or Paid model for website product

If you had an online product that filled a significant nitch, would you let members use your site for free instead of following through on a paid model? Inline with this question, assume that this...

asked Feb 15 '11 at 05:50
Blank
John
161 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.66K Views
Tips on open-source project - should it be free, licensed, etc?

I have been working on this project seen here. It is a Photography CMS (like WordPress). I cannot visualize a business model to provide funds to support the project. I want to release it as a free,...

asked Jan 18 '11 at 09:00
Blank
Jason
121 points