Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
I am the founder of a website.What is my business's core compentency?

I have created a novel and very useful website. Now it is undergoing internal testing. It is a time trading platform. You spend your time doing something(can be anything) for others and get paid....

asked Jan 13 '10 at 12:42
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
7 Answers
2.84K Views
"What does your website do?" My answer is

Suppose you are an angel investor and I want you to invest my website, you may ask, "Tell me, what does your website do?" I answer, "My website is a platform. You can seek for people to do...

asked Jan 13 '10 at 13:06
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.63K Views
Can you fund with government grants or donations?

In order to keep your share unchanged and avoid loans, could it be possible to think of setting up a foundation to get government grants and/or donations, and have the foundation's main project to...

asked Dec 20 '09 at 02:46
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Is asking for donations from users a viable option for a startup?

I know, Evan Williams asked for donations from users while he was running Blogger.com in its early days but that was then. Is a donation button for a web app in beta tactless, in these times? what...

asked Dec 28 '09 at 16:43
Blank
Eric
352 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.89K Views
Best way to navigate getting out of an office lease

We signed a lease on office space but recently hit a tough stretch funding-wise and are trying to figure out a way to get out of lease as quickly as possible. Any suggestions for this? I guess if...

asked Dec 9 '09 at 06:08
Blank
Tommy Maddox
156 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
Links or answers for Pre Money evaluation for seed funding

We are looking to raise Angel funding and was wondering if anyone knows how to calculate the pre-money evaluation?

asked Dec 15 '09 at 04:53
Blank
Hoang
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.91K Views
Is there a technical distinction between "early stage" funding and other "early" funding terminology

Is there a formal distinction between the term "early stage" funding and other "early" funding such as seed funding, angel funding and venture funding?

asked Nov 27 '09 at 15:26
Blank
Robert
43 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
5.48K Views
What happens if the startup that funded by VC failed a couple of years later?

We've heard the good stories of startup that succeed after receiving funds but what happens if a startup that got funded by a VC but turns out being failure a couple of years later? Do they get...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 17:37
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.15K Views
Are you sure you want to start that business next year? How are you planning to take your small business forward next year?

Are you working from home? Is your office in a garage? Is your business plan too big to be executed by you? What plans do you have to change this, if you don’t like the present situation? Is...

asked Dec 4 '09 at 21:20
Blank
Francis Eager
38 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
How can startup be ready to defend IP/Patents if/when a competitor does infringe?

My startup is working on a consumer product (manufacture, sell, ship), where we have developed a really great improvement over our competitors. We have patent pending status, and will be entering...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 04:33
Blank
Michael
250 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
5.98K Views
Looking for a list of angel investors?

Either angel investment firms or single individuals would be great.

asked Nov 13 '09 at 11:16
Blank
Arman Arami
399 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
6.02K Views
Why don't investors like to invest in an LLC?

I have read that if you are raising money, that an LLC is a dispreferred vehicle for your company. Why do investors not like to invest in an LLC?

asked Nov 18 '09 at 07:34
Blank
Joseph Turian
895 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.76K Views
Using 401k or IRA money to fund a startup?

Is there a way to use my own money in a 401k or IRA account to invest in my startup? It looks like "Rollover Business Startups" (ROBS) are discouraged by the IRS. Are you aware of any other tactics...

asked Oct 25 '09 at 01:09
Blank
Stapler Scissor
96 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.82K Views
When, and how should I think about getting money out of a free site/service?

How to (slightly) monetize a tiny niche website... when it's free to use? I'm developing a small niche website to help an airline worker I know solve a problem she faces fairly regularly. It...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 11:07
Blank
Scott
143 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.68K Views
How much you invested in your startup before quiting or before looking for funding?

If you have some money in account then how much to invest it for own startup? better to invest only certain $K and get other from Angels or other sources? What's your experience?

asked Oct 28 '09 at 03:44
Blank
Web Thinker
430 points

8 Votes
9 Answers
4.05K Views
Funding : where do I start?

I am starting up an internet company based on an original concept. My strategy is to, first build the architectural base and implement the main use cases of my website and thereafter, look for...

asked Oct 30 '09 at 07:41
Blank
Fabien7474
210 points

5 Votes
8 Answers
18.3K Views
What does traction really mean?

I've heard alot from this forum about traction. I tried to look at the meaning in the dictionary, but I somehow can not relate it with a startup. So what does it mean by traction and how does that...

asked Oct 30 '09 at 15:37
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.23K Views
Should prospective investors sign non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) to keep your ideas safe?

Do you think it is important to ask Angel investors or VCs to sign a NDA before disclosing the details of your product ?

asked Oct 15 '09 at 20:35
Blank
Anup
547 points

9 Votes
6 Answers
3.23K Views
What is more important - having funding or keeping control?

I am starting-off a venture with limited capital that will be sufficient to keep my business afloat for at least 12-18 months. I believe that my product will get some traction during this period,...

asked Oct 17 '09 at 20:44
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
When is the best time for a web based startup to look for funding and how?

I plan to have a web startup but the implementation is costing me a lot. Is it acceptable to look for funding at this stage? If yes, how do I do it and what are the parameters which will increase...

asked Oct 22 '09 at 18:49
Blank
Himanshu
56 points