Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Tips and hacks for crowdfunding a startup on KickStarter or Indiegogo?

What are some tips to garner attention for your project on crowdfunding platforms like Indiegogo and Kickstarter?From browsing the most funded campaigns, the common elements seem to be: Great promo...

asked May 28 '14 at 20:29
Blank
Toby Hardage
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.84K Views
How to fund a hardware business which requires a lot of capital just to start?

Apart from crowdfunding, how can someone build a wearable tech product business which requires at least $500K just to start? Are there any government grants available here in the US?

asked May 29 '14 at 17:10
Blank
Kevin Bower
9 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
Should you seek funding if you don't yet have revenues or traction?

It seems that either revenue or traction are the biggest factors in being able to easily get venture capital. Should one pursue trying to raise money without either of those factors? At the moment...

asked May 28 '14 at 21:41
Blank
Cheryl Febus
14 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.76K Views
Most important aspects of a team that investors look for?

What are the top factors that investors look for in a team? Do they only look at the team as a whole or do they also require the CEO to have certain credentials or background?

asked May 13 '14 at 13:56
Blank
Aaron Rew
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Is my startup good enough for funding?

I'm working on a web app and launching in the next few days, I finally came up with a name "jellyblub" and got the domain. My thing is that I'm a little embarrassed about seeking funding because...

asked May 7 '14 at 20:35
Blank
Franklin De Los Santos
11 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
3.03K Views
Should you try to raise capital for a lifestyle business?

It is worth trying to raise a small amount of capital (for less than 10% equity) from angel investors for a startup that is meant to be a lifestyle business?I know that VCs would be out of the...

asked Apr 16 '14 at 20:56
Blank
Bruce Schwartz
767 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
Finding Local investors

I am planning to start a web service. I really don't understand business stuff, for that reason I need to hire a marketing and another business person. I live in Brisbane, Australia and wanting to...

asked Oct 2 '13 at 12:34
Blank
Sarp Kaya
102 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.39K Views
Has AngelList killed early-stage VCs?

Is there a point to trying to outreach to early-stage VCs when AngelList is far more convenient for startups?

asked Mar 2 '14 at 03:39
Blank
Janet Johnson
55 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
What's the deal with being an accredited investor? Why does the SEC even have that designation?

I've read the arguments on the benefits for startups to pick accredited angel investors. But what's the deal about it from the SEC's standout? What did the SEC have to gain from even creating this...

asked Mar 20 '14 at 21:57
Blank
Julio Hearn
35 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Can you do some consulting on the side if you raise money from angels?

I'm looking to raise money from angel investors and would be focused on the startup 110%.I do, however, have some prior commitments that I had made for some short term consulting.I will easily be...

asked Mar 21 '14 at 13:28
Blank
Shane Benningfield
65 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
Actual paperwork process when an angel wants to invest?

Once I get angel investors who'd like to invest in my startup: What are things that are required of me to have? Do I need an S-Corp or C-corp, etc? What is the exact process that happens?

asked Mar 10 '14 at 14:30
Blank
Carl Church
20 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.82K Views
Young entrepreneurs: how do you demonstrate credibility when you have little experience?

If you are a new entrepreneur (with little experience working for someone else), how would you demonstrate your credibility to investors while pitching your business?The team is one of the core...

asked Mar 10 '14 at 12:19
Blank
Troy Robertson
10 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
Should I ask startups about the amount of funding they've received when interviewing?

Is it okay for me to ask founders the exact amount of funding they have received when I go for interviews? While I love startups, I feel the risk is significantly higher for startups without...

asked Mar 9 '14 at 15:25
Blank
Corey Head
25 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.33K Views
Lifestyle businesses vs funded startups?

What are some pros and cons to each? There are a few lifestyle businesses that seem to have grown huge without any funding. WikiHow is one such example.Why would you choose one over the other?

asked Mar 6 '14 at 18:00
Blank
Jonathan Thompson
20 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.02K Views
We're two engineers, do we need a business oriented founder?

We are a team of two engineers creating our first SaaS startup. Should we spend time finding someone to better guide the ship from the business end? We haven't raised any money yet but looking...

asked Feb 26 '14 at 00:46
Blank
Leeann Rodriquez
35 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
Cons of raising venture capital?

Everyone talks about the benefits of raising money.What are some negatives of being a funded startup?

asked Mar 1 '14 at 11:31
Blank
Linda Peterson
60 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
Could you raise money for a popular app that has no monetization strategy?

Lets say I have an app or site that is quite popular, but there isn't a clear monetization plan, would investors still be willing to take a risk on such a venture? I would like to believe so...

asked Feb 18 '14 at 15:37
Blank
Karl Davies
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
How can nonprofit startups raise capital?

Investors invest for one thing and one thing only, return on their investment. How can a nonprofit startup that is trying to give back to the community raise any funds? All existing funding...

asked Feb 6 '14 at 20:19
Blank
Sondra
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.46K Views
Can you pay yourself a salary if you raise angel funding (not VC)?

Most founders seem to pay themselves a basic salary when they raise a round from VCs. Does it apply to angel funding too? What would you say is a fair salary to pay yourself if you have raised...

asked Feb 4 '14 at 20:07
Blank
User30035
16 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
Convertible debt notes that convert at an unrealistic valuation

My company received a $15K investment from a friend of the family (we'll call him Doug) two years ago. I issued him a convertible note (no cap) that would convert to equity in either 2 years or if...

asked Nov 11 '13 at 18:54
Blank
Alan
16 points