Growth Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.63K Views
Can a telecommuting job help one grow his skills compared to job at office?

How would you compare a telecommuting (overseas) job at a startup (when everything at the startup be it the work, the environment, the people, etc looks exciting enough) with another job at the...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 03:19
Blank
Atul Goyal
496 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.7K Views
How do newcomers (startups) manage to surpass established companies?

Older company (generally?) have: more resources hire better talent (not sure about this though) are already popular - market share (guess more stuff can be added here that goes in favor of older...

asked Aug 11 '11 at 20:57
Blank
Atul Goyal
496 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Recruit Managers before Junior Execs or other way around?

Have been running a business for a couple of years now but been managing most of the areas of the business myself - web development and marketing - while I have staff who take care of customer...

asked Jul 27 '11 at 01:00
Blank
Sam
43 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
How to grow a social media business based on location, from one location to global?

I assume Foursquare faced this issue. You've got a social service that is location based but requires a lot of users to make valuable. I'm in a similar boat with an upcoming start up, and I'm...

asked May 17 '11 at 19:13
Blank
Long Winter
271 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.83K Views
Dating website/community with forced Invites

i am running a dating website for 3 months now, have about 5000 unique visitors and 115k page views. My website was featured in a nationwide newspaper, really big though, and it is responsible for...

asked May 10 '11 at 16:20
Blank
Herr K
292 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.94K Views
How do online forum sites get users?

There are millions of forums out there where users are required to register in order to post. How do these sites grow from nothing?

asked Apr 14 '11 at 23:33
Blank
Raklos
138 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.83K Views
How damaging are ads to product adoption?

Has anyone come across any research or has had experience with just how much more damaging to product/site adoption it is to have ads like AdSense on your site versus not having them? Any...

asked Apr 4 '11 at 10:22
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.23K Views
Growing strategies: starting free and small, or going all in?

I was just reading a thread which I cannot find again, and it brought up a question. People were advising this guy not to develop his idea 100% perfectly, but to start small, and make it free,...

asked Mar 25 '11 at 04:37
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
How are you using Quora to help you build and grow your start up?

Quora is becoming an increasingly powerful resource for startups. How are you using Quora and what do you suggest as best practices for Quora to help build and grow a start up while avoiding being...

asked Mar 27 '11 at 07:19
Blank
Warren E. Hart
2,181 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.55K Views
Using a Staffing Agency - Is it a Bad Idea?

If you've exhausted your personal network (and friends' networks), and now need to hire people who have skills that you don't have, would you try working with a staffing agency? I've heard a lot...

asked Mar 19 '11 at 08:35
Blank
John
23 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
What are the two most effective things you've done with Twitter to drive growth for your start up?

Twitter can be a great tool to help a start up get noticed and build relationships with prospects and clients. What are the two best things you've done for your start up that leverage Twitter...

asked Mar 20 '11 at 03:48
Blank
Warren E. Hart
2,181 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
Goal setting for the new year

Many of us here on the site are owners of small businesses or getting a startup up and running. I'm curious to know what goals people are setting for the new year, and whether or not you spend time...

asked Dec 15 '10 at 03:39
Blank
Elie
4,692 points

7 Votes
9 Answers
4.06K Views
Developing and formalizing sales process

From day one and until recently our sales process was awesomely non-existent and very much adhoc. As we sell creative and web software development services, and lack of good process bit us in the...

asked Nov 20 '10 at 09:12
Blank
Alex
262 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.79K Views
In a community based startup, what is a good community growth velocity? What is a worrying one?

I know this depends on the community in question, how actively I am marketing it, how well search engines have indexed it and so forth. But I was wondering if there are some good guidelines in...

asked Nov 28 '10 at 05:36
Blank
Daniel Bingham
148 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
21.3K Views
Reasonable growth rate for a Q&A startup

I'm currently building a business plan for my startup. The startup is a kind of Q&A website with an important twist that differs it from existing Q&A websites. The information in the biz...

asked Oct 17 '10 at 00:00
Blank
Roy Peleg
116 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.01K Views
How to convince my partners not to put too much overhead on our company

I just started a developing company. We are 4 partners. Two of us are programmers. Our start-up is slowly growing — we have a customer and few persons are interested to invest money. Now we need...

asked Sep 27 '10 at 23:57
Blank
Vikingosegundo
126 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.8K Views
What tactics did Facebook or LinkedIn or Bebo use to grow?

I'm creating a forecast for my free membership-based website. I want to create both a membership growth forecast and a revenue forecast. While every website is different, I'd like to know how...

asked Apr 28 '10 at 12:36
Blank
User3272
48 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.11K Views
What size of companies are the most profitable?

I often read about large companies that are in major trouble. According to the theories of economies of scale/scope large companies should, almost by definition, be profitable. t also seems like...

asked Mar 14 '10 at 07:28
Blank
David
1,567 points

7 Votes
11 Answers
4.29K Views
What to do with a startup, that is not thriving, but is not complete failure either

I'm working on a startup that is providing web-based application. We have over 600 paying customers, which is 5% market share in that particular niche. It takes 2 persons to drive this business,...

asked Jan 27 '10 at 21:08
Blank
Tambet
215 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
Growing Successfully Using Strategic Business Alliances

Traditionally businesses have grown through hiring employees, building and acquiring assets, establishing branches and subsidiaries, etc. but with this comes high overhead, segregation of duties,...

asked Jan 2 '10 at 17:39
Blank
Starr Ed
948 points