Hiring Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.85K Views
If a candidate's first question is about salary, is that a potential red flag?

During an interview, when asking candidates if they have any questions, if they first question they ask is about their salary, is that a negative?Would be an indication that they haven't bought...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 13:58
Blank
Alvin Smith
14 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
4.17K Views
What criteria should you judge candidates on when hiring?

We are looking to hire our first two employees and have no prior experience in recruiting.What are the most important things that we should look for in a candidate?The first would obviously be...

asked Aug 6 '14 at 15:42
Blank
Dennis Fidler
2 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.11K Views
Verifying college degrees while hiring engineers?

Should you ask for college transcripts or a copy of the college degree when hiring software engineers? Wouldn't it be easy to just lie on the resume otherwise and state you have a PhD from Harvard?

asked Aug 30 '14 at 18:13
Blank
Darin Swint
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.82K Views
Best place to find freelance Ruby on Rails developers for startup MVP?

I want to create a minimum viable product for my startup idea. The concept is fairly complex which will require rails developers who have a lot of experience.The app deals with the financial...

asked Jun 5 '15 at 16:28
Blank
Angelica Hole
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.34K Views
What's a good salary for a Ruby on Rails developer in Silicon Valley? Given the high cost of living there.

I'm moving my two-person startup to San Francisco and looking to hire a Rails engineer there.Given how expensive the cost of living is there, what is a decent salary for a full-time, intermediate...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 13:55
Blank
Robert Cooperman
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.76K Views
Should you judge a candidate on cultural fit if they wear a suit to the interview?

For startups, if a potential candidate comes for an interview wearing a suit, is that a flag that they might not be a cultural fit?

asked May 30 '14 at 22:45
Blank
Ellen Davenport
7 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.2K Views
Hiring interns instead of employees? Would it be a red flag for investors?

Would it be a red flag for investors if we (2 co-founders) have our entire team comprised of part time interns instead of full time employees? We are looking for a sizable seed round (between $1m...

asked May 16 '14 at 17:11
Blank
Karen Seals
4 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.78K Views
Giving software engineers a small coding challenge prior to actual interview?

What do you think about giving engineers a small software assignment that they complete at home and send over before scheduling an interview. This would really help an employer save both their and...

asked May 9 '14 at 16:40
Blank
Ruth Mercedes
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Showing code samples when interviewing for technical jobs?

What type of code samples should you show to a prospective employer when all your work has been for other companies? I don't currently have any open source contributions that employers can look...

asked May 9 '14 at 14:16
Blank
Kevin Sloane
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.46K Views
Overhead costs of employees?

What are the common overhead costs associated with full time employees?I've heard that if a developer's salary is $100K, he actually costs the company $150K.I can't see where all the expenses would...

asked May 3 '14 at 15:12
Blank
Jade Livingston
14 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.43K Views
Hiring software engineers: should you look for overall experience or expertise of a specific language?

When hiring software engineers, should you place more weight on the expertise of the specific language or framework you are using, or overall skill and experience.i.e. A great engineer with 10+...

asked Apr 18 '14 at 00:12
Blank
William Jensen
14 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Why aren't more startups willing to hire remotely?

With talented people being so hard to find, why do startups still struggle for months trying to hire someone in their city?

asked Mar 31 '14 at 21:12
Blank
Pablo Rosa
19 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Top ways a software engineer can screw up an interview?

What are the most often occurring things that developers do due to which they don't get hired?

asked Mar 29 '14 at 21:57
Blank
Kara Tyler
2 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.92K Views
Solo founder starting to hire for the first time. What should I know?

I'm a solo founder who wants to hire the first three employees. I decided to wait until my revenues would support hiring three people because just hiring one person would have felt a little awkward...

asked Mar 29 '14 at 02:25
Blank
Abe Tang
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.21K Views
How to filter out bad software engineer candidates when hiring?

I'm hiring a software engineer and have gotten a boat load of resumes. I can easily rule out the obvious ones based on geography (since I can't afford to pay someone to relocate).What are some...

asked Mar 28 '14 at 17:29
Blank
Rufus Joyce
17 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.01K Views
Self funded startup with traction: how to begin hunt for a CEO?

How does a self-funded startup with traction hunt for a good CEO who can help grow it to the next level? VC-funded startups have an advantage since it's the VC who actively sends potential...

asked Mar 22 '14 at 15:44
Blank
Edgar Ellison
35 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
Why do recruiters exist if every founder finds them annoying and doesn't want to deal with them?

Almost everyone complains about recruiters hammering them with calls and emails. If I were to call several startups, before I could finish my sentence after saying the word "recruiter", they'd...

asked Mar 21 '14 at 13:11
Blank
Gregory Justice
30 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
What scares away top applicants from job opportunities?

What are the worst things that you can do to scare away highly qualified people when they come across your job listings online?Conversely, how do you entice someone to become interested and submit...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 21:10
Blank
Glen Sepe
10 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
Should I ask startups about the amount of funding they've received when interviewing?

Is it okay for me to ask founders the exact amount of funding they have received when I go for interviews? While I love startups, I feel the risk is significantly higher for startups without...

asked Mar 9 '14 at 15:25
Blank
Corey Head
25 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
9.81K Views
Showing snippet of previous employer's source code during interview?

Almost all tech interviews these days ask for code samples. Would it be okay for me to show them a small snippet (a file or two) of my previous employer's source code?It's nothing that could be...

asked Mar 9 '14 at 00:53
Blank
Patrick Stone
55 points