Hiring Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.05K Views
Company getting acquired: would they keep salaries the same? Or re-evaluate everyone?

The startup I'm working for is likely to get acquired shortly. We get paid above market rates and it has been one of the reasons for low attrition here.Would an acquirer lower everyone's salary to...

asked Mar 3 '14 at 23:53
Blank
Clarine Nordberg
40 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.43K Views
Should I bring in a co-founder, or hire?

I'm a developer, who has been working solo on a startup for close to 12 months. The tech side is coming along well, but I'm acutely lacking in my business accumen, and sales skills. Here's some...

asked Mar 20 '13 at 11:53
Blank
Marty Pitt
171 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.27K Views
We have a suit & tie kind of culture: how do we attract designers to hire?

We're an enterprise services company and while there are no rules, everyone just automatically prefers to be dressed "old school".This has created a problem for us to attract designers in the bay...

asked Mar 2 '14 at 17:32
Blank
Michael Nall
30 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Biggest problem companies have hiring sales people?

What would you say is the biggest friction point in hiring good sales people that can sell well?

asked Feb 24 '14 at 20:33
Blank
Shaina Mc Cullough
10 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
Which tasks should you begin to delegate as a founder when your startup starts growing?

When your startup begins to grow, what things should you start to delegate? And what things should I continue to do / monitor myself? We make mobile apps and some of them are starting to get a...

asked Feb 21 '14 at 01:03
Blank
Steven Cox
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Creating a house cleaning service like TaskRabbit: could I hire maids as contractors or is hiring them as employees required by law?

Is it required by the California EDD to hire people as W2 employees for this case or could I just employ them as contractors? I wonder how companies like TaskRabbit and Uber are able to employ...

asked Feb 20 '14 at 17:01
Blank
Karen Higgins
1 point

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
Having a tough time finding a good designer. Unique ways to attract and hire design talent?

What are some unique ways to attract and hire talented people? I have been trying for several weeks to find a good designer to hire (either onsite or remotely). I have tried posting ads, and even...

asked Feb 17 '14 at 13:24
Blank
Chrissie Gray
1,107 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.49K Views
Publicize employee salaries like Buffer, good or bad?

I came across an article about a company (Buffer) that made salaries of all employees public in order to be more transparent. What are the benefits of doing that?

asked Feb 17 '14 at 11:13
Blank
Marlon Wheeler
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
How to poach employees from big companies to your startup?

I would like to convince a talented engineer to come join my startup as employee #2 (there are just three of us at the moment). The company he currently works at is the large gorilla competitor of...

asked Feb 13 '14 at 16:23
Blank
Jason
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
How to answer "what's your greatest weakness?" interview question?

What kind of answer would you give and conversely what kind of answer are you looking for as an employer?

asked Feb 6 '14 at 03:15
Blank
User30035
16 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.29K Views
What kind of skills should I look for in a Head of Marketing?

IT used to be said that half of the money you spent on advertising was wasted - but you couldn't tell which half (bonus points to anyone who know who originated that). Online marketing is...

asked Jan 22 '10 at 08:00
Blank
Puk
81 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
6.18K Views
Attrition in the company (employees leaving for 20% more salary) - Suggested strategies?

We are a 4 year old startup and are facing few issues (not yet major) with regards to attrition. We have been of the opinion that if we keep paying the employees as per the market standards and...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 15:29
Blank
Nitin Srivastava
171 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.78K Views
How to hire competent programmers

I have a new startup and need some additional Java programmers. The problem is: the majority of applicants have just gotten completely stuck and given up when presented with an extremely simple...

asked Sep 17 '13 at 19:38
Blank
Jeremy List
46 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Prefunded startup employee compensation

I'm going to be working for a startup that is prefunding. They have received a grant for housing and a bit more. I was wondering what I should negotiate in terms of salary and equity. I don't want...

asked Aug 25 '13 at 08:43
Blank
Sean Fisher
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Equity options/logistics for first hire

We're in the process of hiring our first employee and trying to figure out logistics given that we're making the employment offer in parallel with our seed funding. All of our current funding up to...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 11:07
Blank
User26911
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.44K Views
At which point of interview process you expect that candidate tries the product?

If you are hiring the second/third employee for a Web based SaaS company, then at which point of interview process you expect that candidate tries the product? Immediately? Before phone interview?...

asked Jul 1 '13 at 14:40
Blank
User84686
139 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
Hiring Key Resources with market experience and knowledge for a fresh business startup

We are in process to start a new consulting business on B2C model and would like to hire new resources with ample domain expertise and ability to add value to our organisation at director/head...

asked May 15 '13 at 02:30
Blank
Nick
8 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
3.48K Views
How to make a Startup job sound appealing?

My startup needs more software engineers, but I'm not sure how I should advertise this opportunity. Most job offerings promise working on a project for an International Company, and therefore a...

asked Jun 1 '13 at 03:03
Blank
Jani Kovacs
75 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
about launching concurrent projects

yes, I have a couple of them that I do not want to give up any. Supposing they all got very positive feedback from very initial surveys, I would like to request your views on the possibility of...

asked Apr 27 '13 at 01:07
Blank
Menesa
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.54K Views
Are employee options now a joke?

Having been involved in startups that failed, startups that turned into profitable but un-traded companies and startups that straight-out conned employees out of their share - I tend to regard them...

asked Jan 14 '13 at 10:37
Blank
Mgb
101 points