Hiring Questions

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
Do you test all developers you hire?

There have been references here to programming tests that are used to hire programmers. Even Joel has written about such tests. While that makes a lot of sense for new or intermediate developers,...

asked Nov 11 '11 at 23:32
Blank
Patrick Ny
300 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.88K Views
How to attract talent as startup?

What are the best ways in attracting talent to a startup? Is it salary, a cool brand, a cool office or something else? Equity is pretty much a standard so I'm looking for some other tips. A while...

asked Nov 3 '11 at 05:47
Blank
Erotsppa
139 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
3.73K Views
If a candidate does not follow up after a job interview should I automatically dismiss them as a candidate?

If a candidate does not follow up after a job interview should I automatically dismiss them as a candidate? I have interviewed a number of very qualified candidates for a position that I am hiring...

asked Nov 5 '11 at 02:12
Blank
Dan Male
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.17K Views
How to find telecommute software jobs?

I am a young software developer with 4 years of experience out of school and looking for telecommuting job opportunities. The position doesn't have to be 100% telecommute and can even require...

asked Oct 3 '11 at 09:51
Blank
Andrew
18 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
1.95K Views
How to start hiring people effectively?

Okay, this is not a typical question, but applies in a specific case. Starting out as a freelancer, most of us spend a lot of time in picking up necessary skills and building out a set of happy...

asked Mar 29 '11 at 01:45
Blank
Roopesh Shenoy
141 points

4 Votes
11 Answers
4.97K Views
Should you hire a candidate who is arrogant?

I am hiring for software developer position. Now I got this one guy who solved my C test well. But I find that hes a bit oversmart. I also got this other guy whosdid 80% correctly. So, now I am...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 19:29
Blank
Ncm123
126 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.04K Views
How Do You Find a Copywriter?

We are looking for a great copywriter who can understand our product, our selling proposition, and our customers, and can run with it and produce web site and brochure copy. We have a budget of a...

asked Sep 20 '11 at 04:09
Blank
User36624
13 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.6K Views
Where to find designers / programmers for equity

Investors want to see the finished project (+ maybe private beta results). I came a long way, but I have the feeling that I cant run the last couple of miles without being surpassed by...

asked Sep 12 '11 at 00:23
Blank
Equity
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.62K Views
Hiring siblings

There are 12 ppl in my organisation. Should I hire siblings of people already working for my organisation? I mean its not a big deal for a big company, but such a decision should be thought upon in...

asked Aug 29 '11 at 19:56
Blank
User392406
128 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.05K Views
Qualifying someone as an employee vs a contractor

My wife and I have a very small catering company. We have recently gotten all of the business licenses and tax identification and things set up that we need. We have no full time employees, but we...

asked Sep 1 '11 at 12:23
Blank
Cmp
111 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.64K Views
Interviewing sales people: what do you do to check their claims without asking for past W2s?

One of the favorite parts of my job is to recruit people for my company. From experience I have come to realize that no matter how busy you are, outsourcing recruiting and hiring is very...

asked Aug 25 '11 at 07:01
Blank
Apollo Sinkevicius
3,323 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.83K Views
What are the key qualities you look for in a candidate for startups?

I know that it is very difficult to gauge a candidate's attitude / work ethics from the start. What are the most important things you look for a candidate that will be fit for a startup software...

asked Jul 27 '11 at 14:29
Blank
Joset
161 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
When to hire someone with law/business background in a start up?

When is the best time to hire someone with law/business experience? I've got a friend with a JD MBA, that is looking for good start up companies where his services might be valued. He worked in law...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 09:49
Blank
Bertrood
314 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.69K Views
How to hire sales rep?

What site would you recommend to add posting? Any specialty site that would be better for jewelry sales rep? What template should I use for the contract if any?

asked Jul 16 '11 at 15:08
Blank
Difull
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
I need to know when to hire certain postions for my startup

I know the answer to this question varies greatly depending on the business etc. But I want to know if anyone knows of any information available that explains x-users = x-customer support reps etc....

asked Jul 20 '11 at 12:01
Blank
David Borish
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
When a startup should hire a sys admin?

The startup is growing and you have now 5 full-time devs on your team. You have an older application which is up and running in production and a new web application almost ready to be released. You...

asked Jul 6 '11 at 18:49
Blank
Dervlap
28 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
Should I suspend my startup?

I was working for a large financial firms as Senior Technical Architect, spending almost 15 hours a day. I quit my job around 18 months back to start this startup and taking an underpaid/under...

asked Jul 7 '11 at 18:17
Blank
User11074
39 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.25K Views
How much cash reserves should you plan to have before hiring?

We're at a point where we need to hire at 1-2 employees, and I'm not sure how much cash to have on hand. We're a SaaS product, with growing traction and on target to be cash-flow neutral next year....

asked Jul 8 '11 at 23:13
Blank
Nicko
840 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.72K Views
How to find young, college-aged designers and programmers (physical location doesn't matter)

I'm a co-founder of a profitable startup doing around a million in revenue a year. I'm having a great time and gaining lots of experience with this startup. However, I have many other ideas...

asked Jul 9 '11 at 05:56
Blank
Nick
96 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.57K Views
How to hire your first employee in the UK

We are on the brink of hiring our first staff member in the UK. We know there is a lot of paperwork to be done, but have no idea what that paperwork is and which things are crucial and which are...

asked Jul 9 '11 at 20:40
Blank
Nikolay Piryankov
683 points