Hiring Questions

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.9K Views
Starbucks Interview Process - Hiring Happiness?

As a big Starbucks fan and avid traveller I have noticed a trend while travelling whether its from Toronto to Texas to California... All Starbucks employees seem to have a very similar personality...

asked Feb 28 '11 at 12:14
Blank
Chain
313 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Do you have rules in place for doing something manually vs. creating an automated system?

I've heard from many successful entrepreneurs that only your job as a startup founder is to constantly be creating systems; However, There's a huge trade-off though between trying new experiments...

asked Mar 2 '11 at 04:32
Blank
Andy Cook
2,309 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
What should I ask a startup's investors as a potential employee?

So, I was reading Guy Kawasaki's questions to ask a startup. One of them is to ask if you can speak with one of the investors on the Board of Directors. A startup that offered me a job asked me if...

asked Jan 26 '11 at 17:41
Blank
Jason
139 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
Equity for strategic hires?

We're a small (but growing) consulting firm with software to be developed as a side stream (yes, I know this is an original story :)). 3 partners, equal equity. We've worked with a few people in...

asked Jan 16 '11 at 02:09
Blank
Sean
1,149 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.13K Views
As a potential employee, should I frown on "zerg hiring"?

In my job hunt, it's incredibly common for me to run into startups that have say 3 people and then have the CTO tell me "We just closed a round of funding, so we're looking to hire 3 or 4 more...

asked Jan 23 '11 at 18:57
Blank
Jason
139 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
How to Assess Integrity of a Potential Hire?

Warren Buffet says, "Hire people based on Passion,Intelligence and Integrity." People's passion is visible in the first meeting, and intelligence comes out in a couple of hours in a discussion, but...

asked Jan 5 '11 at 07:55
Blank
Syed
445 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
How to hire /recruit online for an online based company?

Specifically •How did you find them? (craigslist-social networks-newspaper ads- etc) •How did your interview them? (Phone/Skype video chat etc) •How did you get passed the skepticism barrier?...

asked Dec 3 '10 at 05:44
Blank
Sergio Alvarez
46 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.83K Views
How does option pool size at the time of incorporation impact valuation and funding

Suppose someone needs to incorprate a C-corp, for a high tech high growth business. How does option pool size at the time of incorporation impact valuation and funding. Or it only matters how...

asked Dec 13 '10 at 21:30
Blank
Jewelthief
151 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Any reliable site where *hardware* engineers can be hired for small (work-from-home/telecommute) projects?

For software hackers/developers there are many. However, I need a hardware guy (or girl?) for a relatively small project. Is there a site where I can search for people and see ranks,...

asked Nov 27 '10 at 15:34
Blank
Tzury Bar Yochay
113 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.93K Views
When is it wise to start hiring other programmers?

I'm a programmer and a student and I've got lots of ideas/proposals etc for projects. At what point do I start hiring other programmers to help out?

asked Nov 18 '10 at 05:32
Blank
Moshe
409 points

8 Votes
8 Answers
3.61K Views
Tips for hiring a freelancer programmer?

I'll be writing my own web-site soon, and some parts of it I plan to outsource to developers (either people I know, or if I won't find any - developers from "freelancers sites"). Has anyone who...

asked Nov 3 '10 at 08:44
Blank
Oren A
141 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Hiring an in-office writer

I am in the process of moving my home website business into commercial office space because I need to hire an employee (or two) to help with all of the work. I need to hire a writer - but the...

asked Jul 19 '10 at 23:02
Blank
Steampunk
166 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
5.08K Views
1099 limitations of how much work you can give a contractor. Need some help with that

I think I am pretty good (having dealt with tons of contractor developers) at staying within independent contractor rules and keeping the Labor Department at bay, when it comes to using...

asked Aug 10 '10 at 08:17
Blank
Apollo Sinkevicius
3,323 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
1.95K Views
To reject or to ignore?

I think we are all faced with this issue: we got an application from someone and we don't want to accept it. The most typical case is for employment. In my project I get many more types and very...

asked May 19 '10 at 04:50
Blank
J. Pablo Fernández
412 points

4 Votes
12 Answers
4.54K Views
Would you hire offshore developers?

What's your opinion? Should US-based startup hire offshore web developers to reduce costs? Is it worth it? How would you find them? How much would you pay them per hour of work?

asked May 28 '10 at 04:14
Blank
Pawel A
191 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.35K Views
Do I hire a part time programmer or consultant

So here's the deal..I have a developed product and for the next few months all I need is someone to support me with a presales call if necessary and or keep my demo and infrastructure going until I...

asked Apr 22 '10 at 05:58
Blank
Stacey
484 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.96K Views
Hiring a Commercial Office Cleaner

Has anyone hired a commercial cleaner in the past? If so, how did you choose the right cleaning company? What was important for you when looking for a commercial cleaner? Also, what where the...

asked May 14 '10 at 02:46
Blank
Jed Regan
266 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.56K Views
What qualification and/or skills should I look for while hiring a web designer?

I am about to launch a website, which I got created through a freelancer. However, I am not very pleased with freelancer's performance and plan to hire someone full-time to make required iterations...

asked Apr 2 '10 at 03:32
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
7.07K Views
Any Recommended Job Posting Sites for Startup Leadership (CMOs, VPs, etc.)

We're doing some hiring at a very high level for a VP Marketing candidate and I'm aware of the general advice that it's best to network into folks for roles like these (we had lots of success doing...

asked Apr 7 '10 at 15:58
Blank
Randfish
1,001 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.63K Views
Where can I run a background check on a potential hire?

This field seems really shady, so searching for "background check" online is pretty disappointing. Any suggestions?

asked Apr 16 '10 at 06:33
Blank
Michael Pryor
2,250 points