Incorporation Questions

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.13K Views
Should I incorporate myself, use a high end law firm, or somewhere in the middle?

I am launching a startup (who isnt :) ) and while I am not planning on looking for outside funding, I'd like to leave the option on the table in the event that I catch a tiger by the tail (meaning...

asked Jun 19 '10 at 01:00
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.92K Views
S-corp or LLC for new software business in the United States

Pertaining to a new mISV (software business), should I choose an S-Corp or an LLC. Which would you choose and why?

asked Jul 7 '10 at 01:14
Blank
Phantom Typist
116 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.03K Views
Did you use an incorporation service? What service did you use?

There are a good amount of services that help you incorporate your startup for S Corp, C Corp or LLC, like Incorporate.com and Agents & Corporations. They help you put together the documents...

asked May 17 '10 at 01:43
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.68K Views
Incorporate while still in development phase?

Is there any good reason to incorporate while you are still in development or bootstrapping phase? Or should you wait until the product is ready or when there are customers? Thank you for sharing...

asked May 20 '10 at 12:05
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.84K Views
When should I register a LLC/S Corp?

I currently have a website in beta. I am not earning anything (for now) with this site. It doesn't have terms of service or the privacy policy listed on it. It appears that some people's opinion...

asked Apr 23 '10 at 09:22
Blank
User2306
232 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Foreign Incorporation utilizing USA

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Canada and I've been investigating putting together a US-based corporation. My partner is a US citizen, but it appears that it will be difficult for me to be able...

asked Apr 24 '10 at 07:08
Blank
Startup Advice
55 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.83K Views
Is Employer's Liability Insurance necessary to operate in the UK?

After doing a bit of research into sponsoring foreign workers from a UK based company, I came across something interesting; according to the UK Border Association, a small business must have...

asked May 13 '10 at 19:50
Blank
Nbeecroft
515 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.91K Views
Best location for corporation setup with no physical location?

I'm looking to put together a "virtual studio" with no physical location, at least initially. The current portfolio of founders could potential consist of members in 4 different states and 1 in...

asked Mar 29 '10 at 09:17
Blank
Startup Advice
55 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.84K Views
Can I have an LLC while still working for an employer?

Some customers are more confident buying your product if you are a corporation, but on the other hand while you are bootstrapping you still need some cash coming in, and one way to do this is to...

asked Apr 7 '10 at 10:02
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
Advice on protecting a business name in the US

There is plenty of material here on when to incorporate in the US for tax or other business reasons, for example: When to set up the LLC Worth it to incorporate When does it make sense to...

asked Apr 8 '10 at 19:04
Blank
Steve Wilkinson
2,744 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
3.33K Views
Can one pay for expenses that a start up requires before forming your LLC or Corp?

Can one pay for expenses that a start up requires before forming your LLC or Corp? Is it then possible to count them as expenses when you start one?

asked Apr 9 '10 at 18:06
Blank
Vnchopra
418 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
What is the process required/recommended to convert a website into an LLC?

Given that I have a website that is making revenue, live in California, and would like it to be claimed under an LLC, what is the process to accomplish this? Should I be forming a sole...

asked Apr 20 '10 at 06:24
Blank
Matthew
118 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
6.43K Views
IRS taxes with 0 revenue in first year

I created a corporation last fall and made no revenues (or expenses) in 2009. I obtained an EIN from the IRS and they asked me to file form 1120 for 2009. What is the best way to do this? is it...

asked Mar 11 '10 at 05:02
Blank
Nicolas K.
111 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
5.14K Views
What does it entail to form LLC in Nevada, if I live outside Nevada?

What does it entail to form LLC in Nevada if I live outside Nevada? I would like to benefit from Nevada's tax/business-friendly laws. I would be the sole founder a software business. The...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 16:16
Blank
Bill Paetzke
397 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.76K Views
Founder's Stock - Class F Common

I've first heard of this special class of stock through The Founder Institute. It's basically a way for founders to protect from dilution by authorizing both Common stock and a special Class F (for...

asked Mar 6 '10 at 08:51
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.37K Views
LLC Formation in California

I recently submitted paperwork to form a LLC in California. About a week after submitting my paper work, I came across this post: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/107228.html One...

asked Feb 13 '10 at 05:36
Blank
Aac
85 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
4.43K Views
Internet startup - Legal terms and company setup

I am working on a internet startup, living in New York City. I am planning to setup a company and I am looking for a good Lawyer to help me with the following: a) Setup the company (prob Corp) b)...

asked Jan 25 '10 at 14:59
Blank
User2351
56 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.18K Views
How to incorporate in the US without traveling there?

I live in Colombia and have a web service, I would like to create a company in the US so I can receive payments from there. Is there a way to create a company without traveling there like this...

asked Jan 26 '10 at 14:32
Blank
Carl
16 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.51K Views
If I have multiple types of programs should they each be in different companies

If I do get the ownership of the two applications, one for safety engineers and one for dental clinics, these are vastly different applications. Then I am working on my google applications, which...

asked Jan 16 '10 at 16:59
Blank
James Black
2,642 points

11 Votes
5 Answers
5.98K Views
Do you have a holding company?

Like many entrepruneurs, I operate multiple businesses under separate entities. They're all LLC/S-corps, and someone suggested that I form a holding company for additional liability protection and...

asked Dec 30 '09 at 04:17
Blank
Alex Papadimoulis
5,901 points