Independent Contractor Questions

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.35K Views
Taking on a new team member and paying only in equity - legal aspects and pitfalls

Here's my situation. I founded a company very recently (currently an LLC) and have no external funding. I also don't have deep pockets. This is for a startup in the US in Washington state. I...

asked Dec 5 '13 at 18:53
Blank
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
how do I effectively market my skill as an independent contractor?

For the past 7 years I have been working for a defense contractor working on customizing content management systems (well known EMC and Atlassian products). I feel like I have gained enough...

asked Nov 18 '13 at 14:54
Blank
User29701
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.26K Views
What is a good cash/equity mix for a 1099 programmer and/or designer for 4 to 6 month term?

We have been coding now for about 6 months on our startup. Up until now, we have bootstrapped the entire project on pennies, being cash poor. Fortunately we were able to raise a small friends and...

asked Apr 10 '13 at 05:44
Blank
Derek
164 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
LLC Pass Through Income Taxation

I'm working for a client who is doing business as a LLC in CA. He represents merchants by advertising them on certain websites. His commission is taken out from the sales received from the...

asked Feb 13 '13 at 03:50
Blank
Cong Xiao
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.34K Views
How to be competitive on freelance sites

I am a web designer/developer in the US and I am very interested in obtaining freelance work via the Internet. However, sites such as ODesk and Elance seem unfavorable to freelancers who need to...

asked Nov 14 '12 at 13:32
Blank
Darren
103 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.9K Views
What are fair terms to hire a business development consultant?

As a startup, we are talking to a business development consultant. He will do business development in a particular country for us. What are the key terms we need to be careful about in a contract...

asked Oct 13 '12 at 00:40
Blank
Ben
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
5.83K Views
Paying a contractor to be "on call"?

We're looking at hiring a systems administrator contractor at a certain hourly rate to do sysadmin-y things. So far, this is easy enough for me to wrap my brain around. But during certain hours,...

asked Oct 17 '12 at 02:11
Blank
Todofixthis
183 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
Switching Incorporation Business Name to Independent Contractor

What is the process of switching a US-registered fictitious business name from an Inc ran by one individual to an Independent Contractor? This question is based around the Inc deing dissolved,...

asked Aug 7 '12 at 21:05
Blank
User1062058
22 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Rights of parties holding interest in a company

I've been part of a small team at a startup (LLC) for about a year and a half now (since inception), working unders a PSA (Professional Services Agreement) that grants me a "membership interest"....

asked Jul 13 '12 at 08:37
Blank
David Oritz
8 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.7K Views
Paying S-Corp Owner Directly from Main Bank Account

I run a small US-based startup, (an S Corp), I am also a contractor of this business. Am I able to withdrawl money from the main business banking account and pay myself (a contractor) without...

asked Jul 16 '12 at 06:22
Blank
User1062058
22 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.16K Views
Creating a business from a customized application solution?

I have been working on a medium sized web application for a large client, on site, for 3 years. I work as a contractor on the project, handling most of the coding, but the application itself and...

asked Jul 19 '12 at 02:01
Blank
User357320
113 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.86K Views
How much equity should I give for contracted labor?

I am the sole founder of a bootstrapped startup (idea conceived by me, revenue model and business plan developed by me, and I filed a provisional process patent for the concept). I have incoporated...

asked May 3 '12 at 10:40
Blank
Ric Bray
13 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
Is there anything special an underage founder/freelancer doing business with startups needs to be aware of?

Since I'm not a legal adult, is there anything special I need to watch out for in terms of startup culture? Technically, I can get out of any legal agreement (since they can't be binding until I'm...

asked Mar 25 '12 at 10:48
Blank
Jrg
247 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
5.97K Views
stock options or convertible notes?

I will be joining as a senior developer on a startup and I will be working 20 hours a week remotely. I have a day job which pays my bills now. The company is not funded yet so we will not be given...

asked Apr 5 '12 at 01:59
Blank
Java Mouse
113 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.53K Views
Hiring first person employee vs contractor

I have bootstrapped a startup in NY and am ready to hire a person. Should I hire this person as a contractor or as an employee. I realize that there are many laws and logistics around hiring an...

asked Feb 25 '12 at 08:06
Blank
User15995
42 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.73K Views
What year to payments to subcontractors count, for tax purposes?

In what year do payments to subcontactors count, for tax purposes? For example if I don't make the payment until after Jan 1 but the money was earned the previous year, which tax year does that...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 05:37
Blank
Don Zacharias
132 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
Is this the basic thing to provide address detail to the client?

Hi I got the first client from one of the freelancing website.But they are asked to send the address proof to them.In our first conversation they asked this and my bank details.Apart from this they...

asked Oct 28 '11 at 03:18
Blank
Vinothkumar
108 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.28K Views
Taxes on freelance/consulting work

I am not sure how I should be paying taxes for freelance/consulting work. With some of my clients I just signed a consulting agreement, and an NDA and then I invoice them. They pay me via credit...

asked Oct 20 '11 at 15:56
Blank
Sheehan Alam
194 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.9K Views
Where to find a template for a general-purpose Independent Contractor Agreement?

We want to hire some freelancers in the US, Germany, Russia and Japan. The book "The Business of iPhone App Development" from Apress references an Imdependent Contractor Agreement template. The...

asked Oct 2 '11 at 20:03
Blank
Openfrog
111 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
Contract with a startup and bill a convertible note?

Some friends have a great idea for a startup. I like the idea, and I think it will succeed, but I'm not in a place to work on it full-time. I can put in time on the side while keeping my day...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 07:19
Blank
W. Matthew Wilson
104 points