Independent Contractor Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
8.53K Views
As a founder/shareholder/officer in a startup, do I pay myself as an employee(W2) or contractor(1099-MISC)?

I've looked around, but can't seem to find a straightforward answer for this. I am one of 4 founders in a start-up incorporated as a C-corp. 2 of us work full-time on the start-up, and so far have...

asked Sep 8 '11 at 14:18
Blank
Sid
106 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.81K Views
Contract forms to work with small businesses

I have been working with relatively large companies as a contractor. In that setup, I didn't really concern about "contract" since they provided with all necessary contract forms and I just needed...

asked Aug 30 '11 at 04:32
Blank
Tae Sung Shin
108 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
How To Find Contracting Work

I have a full-time job and do some contracting work on the side but am looking to quit and do full-time contracting work. Historically, my contracting work has come through my personal network, but...

asked Aug 22 '11 at 23:47
Blank
Skaz
254 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
5.44K Views
Retainer fees for freelance software engineers - is this common practice, can I use this?

I have a relatively new business - I've recently been freelancing as a software engineer for 6 months, working from my own office for a couple of companies having contracted on site before for...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 22:01
Blank
Bomb Defused
227 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.81K Views
What are the proper steps (contracts, terms, payments agreements) when hiring freelance developers?

I'm looking to hire some developers to help bang out some features of my app that I can't do myself yet. I'm going to be able to give them pretty specific tasks and if they do well continue on and...

asked Apr 19 '11 at 18:16
Blank
Trying Hal9000
141 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.54K Views
Micro Company started, do they need to incorporate, or there is a better way?

If one individual has been delivering services to other corporations. So far they have been paying the individual to his name "John Doe". The individual now is hiring sub-contractors, to do other...

asked Mar 26 '11 at 11:01
Blank
Geo
268 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
What are good sites for finding CMS data entry sub-contractors?

I prefer to do work on my own sites, but I occasionally take one-off small business website jobs where I work with a designer, who owns the client relationship. Most of these sites are content...

asked Mar 5 '11 at 09:00
Blank
Pat James
138 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
What steps to take to start a consulting company?

I am writing today to understand and read what your take is in starting a consulting company. Currently I hold a day job, which I am happy with, but I want to become more flexible in terms of...

asked Jan 15 '11 at 16:33
Blank
Geo
268 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
7.32K Views
Can anyone help me make sense of the TIN and DBA?

About two years ago, I began building a side business doing IT consulting, which never actually took off because I got so busy with my day job. In the process of building the side business, I...

asked Jan 21 '11 at 04:55
Blank
Beachrunnerjoe
319 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
10.6K Views
Paying remote contractors?

Let's say I hire some remote contractors. Some are based in the US, and some are international. I want to pay the contractors on a bi-weekly basis. What is the best service to use for paying my...

asked Nov 10 '10 at 11:31
Blank
Joseph Turian
895 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.18K Views
How did you transition from Big Work to independent freelancer

Specifically, I am interested in situations where: people jumped ship from a full-time job without much prior planning, and people who set a goal to eventually leave a full-time job and then...

asked Sep 22 '10 at 08:41
Blank
Nicholas Cloud
168 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.38K Views
Charge sales tax for a service provided by independent contractor in another state?

So I have a sales tax question. Yes, I will be contacting an attorney, but I figured I should do some research before spending $$$. Here is a situation. A company based in state A (office +...

asked Jul 17 '10 at 12:13
Blank
Apollo Sinkevicius
3,323 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
5.08K Views
1099 limitations of how much work you can give a contractor. Need some help with that

I think I am pretty good (having dealt with tons of contractor developers) at staying within independent contractor rules and keeping the Labor Department at bay, when it comes to using...

asked Aug 10 '10 at 08:17
Blank
Apollo Sinkevicius
3,323 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.52K Views
Sub-contract Contract

When sub-contracting out web/graphic design what do you include in your contract with the sub-contractor? One specific area I'm curious about is issues regarding the sub-contractors online...

asked Jun 14 '10 at 23:37
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.2K Views
What are the costs and tax implications of hiring an independent contractor?

Our company is currently thinking about hiring an independent contractor to expand our software product. I was wondering what the costs (insurance etc...) and tax implications of this might be if...

asked May 25 '10 at 23:44
Blank
Nbeecroft
515 points

14 Votes
7 Answers
4.43K Views
How can I determine a good rate for freelancing?

I've currently got a startup and a full-time job. I'm looking to transition to part-time freelancing so I can focus more on my startup. However, I'm walking into this completely blind, and I need...

asked Oct 17 '09 at 22:39
Blank
Micah
880 points